"Eat my soul".

"...and your belly's all yellow".

"Toxic jungle".

Etc. I could go on. In fact, just read the lyric book. They really are dire.

Eat my soul, fair enough, sounds naff. I like the other two though. Interesting metaphorical ideas come to mind.

Yes! I feel like a lot of the lyrics lately have felt a bit patronizing as well. It does take a lot out of it. He shouldn't sing down to the audience. Let them figure stuff out on their own!

And I have "drone" exhaustion too. It's so silly the way they included it in Revolt. Luckily the music on the album isn't exhausting and holds my interest rather well .

I agree, it does feel like he's singing down to us, like we're too stupid to understand unless he puts it in big, bold black-and-white statements ('Here come the DROOONNEESS!!' :LOL:)

As I say, I don't usually care overmuch about lyrics, so I'm surprised it's bothered me this much but it's reached a new low on some of them. I can't forgive the fact that there are now TWO Muse songs in existence with the rhyming couplet 'together / forever'. They've become a boyband tribute act, lyrically :LOL::facepalm:

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

I don't find any lyrics on Origin have the embarrassing elements of more recent songs. A lot of it is 'simple' (e.g. Bliss, Hyper Music etc.) but without feeling like they're dumbing the message down or ruining the song. Psycho has a great riff, would be a much better song if they weren't bloody singing about your ass belonging to me and super drones :LOL:

I don't find any lyrics on Origin have the embarrassing elements of more recent songs. A lot of it is 'simple' (e.g. Bliss, Hyper Music etc.) but without feeling like they're dumbing the message down or ruining the song. Psycho has a great riff, would be a much better song if they weren't bloody singing about your ass belonging to me and super drones :LOL:

Go play this and you will love super drones inmediately: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=345655987

:$

The speculated two minute version of Psycho might have been a good song :(

Even Defector gets a new idea/ solo thing before the main riff gets too repetitive.

A version of Psycho with just the sections from 0:00-1:54 and 3:49-5:16 would make a decent 3:20 song with a few different bits and an unconventional structure, that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Lyrically the second verse doesn't add anything that's not been established already.

"Super Drone" is one of the coolest things to say, it add an instant awesome to the conversation.

Me: Yeah, i have this friend, she went to that new restaurant.

The Other: Ah, ok... (bored)

Me: Also, i saw a flying Super Drone!

The Other: OH MY GOD, THAT'S AMAZING!!!!

That really happened.

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

I don't find any lyrics on Absolution embarrassing. It's my favorite lyrically by far.

I don't find any lyrics on Absolution embarrassing. It's my favorite lyrically by far.

Same. Maybe there are some earlier songs with more simple lyrics, but not cringeworthy like the past three albums. I'd say BH&R onwards is when cheesy lyrics started to crop up and, lyrically, it was beginning to go downhill ('When the zetas fill the skies' :LOL:)

Edit: I'd take the nonsensical lyrics of OoS over the embarrassing tripe on Drones any day :LOL: Yeah, a lot of it might not make sense or be crystal clear what Matt's going on about but I prefer that to the watered-down, over-simplified messages in Drones.

Edited by hyper_chondriac_muser

Same. Maybe there are some earlier songs with more simple lyrics, but not cringeworthy like the past three albums. I'd say BH&R onwards is when cheesy lyrics started to crop up and, lyrically, it was beginning to go downhill ('When the zetas fill the skies' :LOL:)

I can't get over why they didn't keep the original Exo-Politics lyrics from 2005 (Timescale Keeper/Pee Candle etc)

If, say, Butterflies and Hurricanes was released now, people would say the lyrics are dumbed-down and bad.

There's a difference between being easy to understand and being outright bad. Bliss lyrics are very straightforward to follow but that doesn't mean they're bad. Revolt lyrics are oversimplified, so they feel dumbed down.

The message has a lot to do with it: Drones (album) seems like Matt's trying to sing about some anti-establishment srs bsns lofty political shit that's all too difficult for us to understand so he waters it down to something juvenile; B&H and Bliss, as examples, are just personal messages. Ironically, they're simpler in meaning but feel less simple lyrically.

Are they? I love the album, but, except a few standouts (CE above all) I don't think they are... ingenious. "Stretch it like a birth squeeze", "My plug in baby crucifies my enemies", "Because it's good"... :LOL:

But take the good ones, the chorus of New Born, the whole of Citizen Erased, "paradise comes at a price that I am not prepared to pay".

Also as mentioned above, Micro Cuts does a great job at displaying a nightmare (as it is based on one)

But take the good ones, the chorus of New Born, the whole of Citizen Erased, "paradise comes at a price that I am not prepared to pay".

Also as mentioned above, Micro Cuts does a great job at displaying a nightmare (as it is based on one)

The fact is, OoS lyrics have hardly been a contested topic because there aren't enough 'bad' ones to argue about! Any that exist are outshined by the good ones, as you've mentioned. Drones, on the other hand, basically has something cringeworthy on almost every song, lol.

Fair enough, but, in general, OoS lyrics are not great. Matt has never been a good lyricist... But I can admit that nowadays they are even worse :LOL::LOL:. But I appreciate that this time he tries to tell a story, so, even if the lyrics are bad, I can follow a story and I can shape it to my liking :happy:

The fact is, OoS lyrics have hardly been a contested topic because there aren't enough 'bad' ones to argue about! Any that exist are outshined by the good ones, as you've mentioned. Drones, on the other hand, basically has something cringeworthy on almost every song, lol.

If all of the lyrics on Drones were of the same standard of The Handler and The Globalist I'd have no problem with it at all. Tbh the lyrics don't really bother me though