Best solo they've ever done imo. Wouldn't be out of place on BH&R, which is always a good thing in my books. Without that, the song would be pretty boring.

It's one of the catchiest things on the album for me. And yeah I'd say it's up there with Showbiz and US solos.

Edited by Tim59

The solo's melody is nice. I like the orchestral version on JFK. But it's far from best solo.

Yeah, think I may even prefer the orchestral version perhaps. It's a shame Defector kinda gets ruined by bad lyrics and repetitiveness, for me anyway. I guess it's one of those tracks which are alright but "could have been great."

I'm getting into Drones more BUT I think the thing that's made this a difficult album to get into, for me, is the fact that it seems dumbed down compared with previous ones. In particular, a lot of the lyrics. I know Matt gets a lot of stick for them and yes, he isn't the best lyricist there ever was, but some of the stuff on Drones feels like it's just patronising! Lyrics don't normally play a big part in how much I enjoy the songs, but there have been a few too many cringeworthy ones to let slide!

Not least the ridiculous overuse of the word drones. It's like he's reminding us (or himself!) what the album's about by putting it in as many songs as he can, lol. He was suggesting in a recent radio interview that Mutt made him 'simplify things lyrically', haha!

Not just the lyrics, tho. The repetitive nature of some of the songs feels like they've got a simpler structure, which isn't always a bad thing but it makes songs like Psycho and Defector quite flat because they just loop for 4-5 mins. Both are good songs but could have done without repeating the riff/choruses so much. And that cover artwork is so simplistic it's verging on embarrassing :facepalm:. The big scary hand is controlling the little hand, which controls all us even littler people. Get it?!!? CLEVAH! Except it's really not. The marching men are too reminiscent of the Abso falling aliens, which is a shame cos that's my favourite album cover so this feels like a cheap knock-off in comparison. I know they said they wanted to go 'back to basics', but some things have been a bit too basic, lol!

Anyways, I don't wanna drone on (punintended :p) and be overly negative, especially as I'm starting to like the album more, but I think I've finally pinned down why Drones has been so hard to get into compared with other albums, even though I think it's better than the last two... in some places it's like 'Muse for dummies' :LOL:

Edited by hyper_chondriac_muser

I'm getting into Drones more BUT I think the thing that's made this a difficult album to get into, for me, is the fact that it seems dumbed down compared with previous ones. In particular, a lot of the lyrics. I know Matt gets a lot of stick for them and yes, he isn't the best lyricist there ever was, but some of the stuff on Drones feels like it's just patronising! Lyrics don't normally play a big part in how much I enjoy the songs, but there have been a few too many cringeworthy ones to let slide!

Not least the ridiculous overuse of the word drones. It's like he's reminding us (or himself!) what the album's about by putting it in as many songs as he can, lol. He was suggesting in a recent radio interview that Mutt made him 'simplify things lyrically', haha!

Not just the lyrics, tho. The repetitive nature of some of the songs feels like they've got a simpler structure, which isn't always a bad thing but it makes songs like Psycho and Defector quite flat because they just loop for 4-5 mins. Both are good songs but could have done without repeating the riff/choruses so much. And that cover artwork is so simplistic it's verging on embarrassing :facepalm:. The big scary hand is controlling the little hand, which controls all us even littler people. Get it?!!? CLEVAH! Except it's really not. The marching men are too reminiscent of the Abso falling aliens, which is a shame cos that's my favourite album cover so this feels like a cheap knock-off in comparison. I know they said they wanted to go 'back to basics', but some things have been a bit too basic, lol!

Anyways, I don't wanna drone on (punintended :p) and be overly negative, especially as I'm starting to like the album more, but I think I've finally pinned down why Drones has been so hard to get into compared with other albums, even though I think it's better than the last two... in some places it's like 'Muse for dummies' :LOL:

Yes! I feel like a lot of the lyrics lately have felt a bit patronizing as well. It does take a lot out of it. He shouldn't sing down to the audience. Let them figure stuff out on their own!

And I have "drone" exhaustion too. It's so silly the way they included it in Revolt. Luckily the music on the album isn't exhausting and holds my interest rather well .

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

Yeah, I'd say lyrics from any band are much better when there's a personal attachment to it, but sometimes it can lead to a cheese-fest too.

I think the most... awful lyric in this album is that "super-drone". But the way they remark that word in the song make me laugh, so I don't mind :LOL::LOL:. But, seriously, I think that Muse are very good at expressing their concepts through their music, I use the lyrics as a context and they actually talk with the music, not with words. So, even if their lyrics are bad, I like the way they portray brainwashing (with a repetitive and addictive riif) in Psycho, the rise-destruction-regret on The Globalist, the protagonist freeing his mind in The Handler...

I think the most... awful lyric in this album is that "super-drone". But the way they remark that word in the song make me laugh, so I don't mind :LOL::LOL:. But, seriously, I think that Muse are very good at expressing their concepts through their music, I use the lyrics as a context and they actually talk with the music, not with words. So, even if their lyrics are bad, I like the way they portray brainwashing (with a repetitive and addictive riif) in Psycho, the rise-destruction-regret on The Globalist, the protagonist freeing his mind in The Handler...

By most awful you mean coolest right? :)