I bet 90% of that people are waiting for Starlight (YEEEAHHH!). What do you expect? We complain a lot about setlists here, but if they don't play Starlight-Madness-Undesclosed Desires-Mercy people will complain IN the gig.

So to please the majority of the audience Muse has to play the pop hits. Is a bit sad for the rest of the heavier crowd.

Agreed, but in that regard Muse could add a couple more songs to the set like CE and Bliss and get everyone pleased.

This is not Muse's fault. Crowds in the US are shameful no matter what band with few exceptions (Linkin Park in Toronto 2014 comes to mind). Seriously how can you not lose your mind during Psycho is beyond me, but people even barely move their head or cheer.

The famous example in my mind is Brandon Flowers slagging off various US crowds during a Killers 2009 tour of the US, with the lowest of the low being Santa Barbara when he started a song by saying "We're not at a fucking zoo". But it does flavour some impressions - I saw U2 and had been expecting a fairly tame crowd from US vids, and their crowd in London was actually really buzzing.

Maybe its just easy to stereotype, ehdunno. We'll see if the central stage is proving a bitch for momentum everywhere if the Europe crowds are also fairly reserved.

Looking to get tickets to the Toronto show and need some advice.

I haven't watched a single video form the tour/looked at a setlist, etc - I want to go in completely surprised. My question is for those of you who have been to a show: which sections are the best to get tickets in? I don't want to do GA, so I assume 107, 108, 109, 118, 119, 120 or 308, 309, 310, 320, 321, 322 are best. I attached a seating chart that shows the section numbers.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

1320194758_AirCanadaSeatingChart.thumb.png.74ba670fadc0ff71f013557428e9dee7.png

This is not Muse's fault. Crowds in the US are shameful no matter what band with few exceptions (Linkin Park in Toronto 2014 comes to mind). Seriously how can you not lose your mind during Psycho is beyond me, but people even barely move their head or cheer.

Toronto isn't in the US.... :rolleyes:

If that's the case that people really are disinterested at the gigs... but they were interested enough to pay all the money to go, and drag themselves out there (and be that close to the stage,)... shouldn't we also maybe look at the band/stage show and wonder what's gone wrong a bit, too?

I mean, we've established they're playing TO this radio singles only pop crowd; so what else is gone wrong?

I don't imagine you pay upwards of $100 for a gig and parking intending to stand around being bored.

I can't say if people are actually disinterested. Just something that seems that way. It's already talked about the type of people that's shifted. People that don't get too into things.

I wouldn't expect them to stop playing Knights, Starlight, Supermassive, Uprising and Madness. If I'm honest, I think Hysteria should be a staple as well. It's the stuff (or lack of) that they choose to play alongside those songs that's a bit pointless and frustrating imo.

UD and Mercy aren't/weren't big hits to my knowledge so I don't see many people complaining if they weren't played. Granted, Mercy's a current album single so that's understandable but UD can definitely go. Resistance also doesn't need to be a staple.

I can't speak for anywhere else but I know that back in the summer Mercy was doing very well in Belgium. There was a point where I'd start work at 8 and hear it 4 or 5 times before 16:00, and I think it was played a few times after that too. So it's definitely popular in SOME places.

The famous example in my mind is Brandon Flowers slagging off various US crowds during a Killers 2009 tour of the US, with the lowest of the low being Santa Barbara when he started a song by saying "We're not at a fucking zoo". But it does flavour some impressions - I saw U2 and had been expecting a fairly tame crowd from US vids, and their crowd in London was actually really buzzing.

Maybe its just easy to stereotype, ehdunno. We'll see if the central stage is proving a bitch for momentum everywhere if the Europe crowds are also fairly reserved.

Everyone always says "such and such band doesn't OWE you anything" - well, I think the idea that a crowd somehow owes a band something at a gig they paid for to be ludicrous.

$70+ for a short gig isn't a negligible amount of money. I could feed my family for a week on that, or if I have money to burn, buy a video game that could last me 50+ hours.

People make a decision to go to a gig that isn't completely trivial, I find it hard to believe 10,000 people find themselves disinterested.

If a performer isn't happy with how the crowd reacts, especially knowing US crowds are quiet (particularly ones drawn in through adult alternative singles,) maybe they should make the decision to not take their money in the first place...

Or just take the money and be sore on their own time.

I can't get my head around insulting a crowd of people who paid good money to see you.

If you really want to argue "no, they're not quiet, they BORED or disinterested." Then yes, you need to wonder if the band is engaging enough, giving the crowd what they expected, etc.

Some of that with Muse could be the stage, some of it could be that they've intentionally remained a bit inaccessible to the audience they court, and maybe the fact that they're not as engaging personally as a lot of similar bands people will see could play a part.

Weird how they replace Plug in Baby, which they didn't play on the Vegas T2L stop, with Map, which appeared last time. They don't even bother to check what they played in a city on the previous tour...

I imagine it could get a bit annoying seeing the band every time they stop in your city, only for them to choose the same rotations.

(Then again, I've been lucky enough to see Map live but have somehow missed PIB...)

Edited by Samz2