Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

after listening to it a lot more it's growing on me, and the lyrics seem less corny. with decent headphones the drumming sounds fucking phenomenal though. i still think the structure is a bit weird and too long though.

has that warner site put up the instrumental yet?

this. i can't wait for this.

I've never felt this kind of second-hand embarrassment when listening to a song.

I thought this album was going to be some Forced In / Citizen Erased / Stockholm Syndrome shit. My expectations were drowned in shame by this song.

Remember when Matt could poetic lyrics? With some subtlety.

I don't even mind the cock-rock riff. I'm so shocked by everything else.

Some people here are so hilariously melodramatic.

After an album with Madness, Follow me, Explorers, Big Freeze and so on... Psycho, or the new life of the 12 year old SS outro, is exactly what I wanted. At first the drill sargent bits were a bit off for my taste, but I kinda take the song as a story, and for that story to make sense those screams fit like a glove. On top of that, I dont get the hate towards: "your ass belongs to me now!", I kinda dig it and it fits the theme too damn well. Plus, it will be fun to see 50000 people screaming it live :D

I know, right. It's like Muse owe them something. :LOL:

I don't think not liking the song equates to feeling owed something, just simple disappointment.

Like if I get a bad dinner out; I get that other people might like it and I'm not entitled to my money back or anything, but I might enjoy bitching about it to my companions to make myself feel better.

People who are coming down on this song aren't trying to ruin your enjoyment of it, they are genuinely disappointed.

I don't think not liking the song equates to feeling owed something, just simple disappointment.

Like if I get a bad dinner out; I get that other people might like it and I'm not entitled to my money back or anything, but I might enjoy bitching about it to my companions to make myself feel better.

People who are coming down on this song aren't trying to ruin your enjoyment of it, they are genuinely disappointed.

There's not liking a song, and there's acting like it kicked your puppy and ruined your life. It's people's own fault if they seriously expected Muse to do another Forced In.

There's not liking a song, and there's acting like it kicked your puppy and ruined your life. It's people's own fault if they seriously expected Muse to do another Forced In.

But it's quite understandable if they thought it would be different than it is, based on some things Bellamy had said, too.

Although he did also say the album would sound like Yes Please, which is another heavier "jokey" song I don't care for...

But it's quite understandable if they thought it would be different than it is, based on some things Bellamy had said, too.

Although he did also say the album would sound like Yes Please, which is another heavier "jokey" song I don't care for...

It's funny. I tried singing Psycho yesterday and thought it was the kind of fun similar to singing Yes Please.

I've never felt this kind of second-hand embarrassment when listening to a song.

I thought this album was going to be some Forced In / Citizen Erased / Stockholm Syndrome shit. My expectations were drowned in shame by this song.

Remember when Matt could poetic lyrics? With some subtlety.

I don't even mind the cock-rock riff. I'm so shocked by everything else.

Yeah sure buddy, the riff everyone loved and that's been played a gazillion years live suddenly is a cock-rock riff. Who the fuck even comes up with these bullshit terms anyway?

Drowned in shame, fucking hell. :LOL:

Don't really know where detractors are getting the "jokey" vibe from. It's a concept album and the lyrics from this particular track are from the viewpoint of the drill sergeant clearly. Hence the pronunciation of ass, the "love will get you nowhere", "your ass belongs to me now" lines. People want it to be the generic, repetitive lyrics of albums bygone and replace the word 'ass" with 'mind" and stuff like that. I think it's fantastic they're trying something new, whilst still keeping the hard rock sound. If the rest of the album keeps within the same vein as Psycho, then it's everything they needed to do on their next record.

I don't have a problem with the riff on its own but its boring as a full song in my opinion.

That being said it's the lyrical content and topical samples that bother me most.

Still hoping the full album is decent but I have my reservations at the moment.

For me the problems of the song are this:

1. Same riff throughout the song

2. If you only got 1 riff don't make the song 5 minutes long

3. Vocals are meh (not talking about lyrics)

However it's not that bad and it will be certainly better live.

Edited by White Heat

After a couple days of sitting with it, there are two things that bug me. The drums (its basically Uprising, which would be fine but they don't sound as good... I don't know if its a production issue or...), and the solo. Matt held back. Perhaps because he was self conscious about doing one as heavy as the song calls for after having said those things about guitar solos in the past? I don't know. My ears wanted something more.

But I like it.

After a couple days of sitting with it, there are two things that bug me. The drums (its basically Uprising, which would be fine but they don't sound as good... I don't know if its a production issue or...), and the solo. Matt held back. Perhaps because he was self conscious about doing one as heavy as the song calls for after having said those things about guitar solos in the past? I don't know. My ears wanted something more.

But I like it.

I thought similarly. I wanted Dom to push it a bit more.

I think I'd have preferred if they'd foregone the silliness and played it darker, but it's still a lot of fun.

But I like it.

Yeah I think the drums are a little bit mismatched for that riff. In Uprising it had that bass and drums combo driving the song, I feel that Psycho lacks that force.

Also solo? What solo? :LOL: