tumblr_inline_o0g5fvIE8q1typsh3_540.jpg

do we

have to...?

:LOL::LOL:

But agree with all the Map love. Bringing it back as a staple (so far) has definitely been the strongest thing they've done this tour.

Even a Madness/UD/Resistance rotation sounds good. Just something so we don't have to sit through the god awful version of Madness they're pumping out every night. Then stick JFK + Defector after it to avoid cheese.

Even though I'm really not a fan of Aftermath I'd like it to get played at least once so the whole album has had a shot. Also Defector really needs to come back to the sets, I would even take it over Reapers but that's only because I've been lucky enough to see Reapers already.

Possibly interesting, btw, the "dead horse" metaphor potentially draws origins from an earlier meaning, where the "dead horse" was reference to paying for services in advance, and how the recipient would typically use the pre-payment to pay off their own debts, or on liquor or drugs, and the payer would get something unacceptable for their money, if they got anything at all. Using your money to buy a useless thing.

:LOL:

Nope. Horses were 'flogged' with leather lashes to make them work. 'Flogging a dead horse' just means that you're wasting your effort, as no amount of input will make a dead horse work.

I'd be happier with a Madness/UD Rotation and playing both Reapers and Revolt. But I guess Muse will never drop Madness in the US.

I doubt that they would rotate Madness because it is a really popular song and, to be fair, they're not playing anything else off of The 2nd Law at this point. Surprising really since it was their last album and they're still regularly playing 4 songs off of The Resistance.

The UD and Resistance rotation actually makes a lot more sense with them both coming from the same album. I wouldn't say that I love Resistance but I'd take it any day over UD.

Yeah, I miss The Resistance tour's setlists.

Boy, I bet none of us expected to say that back in 2010! :chuckle:

Just imagine if Muse had the balls to go all out with their Drones album theme for this tour, ignoring the poppy hits for once. You could stay within album families and:

-Put Assassin somewhere between Psycho and The Handler, removing Starlight (lol)

-Add Stockholm Syndrome to the set. I'm not sure where; thematically I guess it would go before The Handler (I wish I could into you will never own me again).

-Change PiB for Hyper Music or New Born, both of which fit Drones better than PiB. I know they do it for the singalong, but as Glendale proved (:'(), the new American audience doesn't know PiB anyway.

-Change Feeling Good to Citizen Erased, or Bliss (which doesn't fit the theme as well, but deserves to be there more than an old cover song).

-Remove UD and/or Resistance to make room for MK Ultra. Someone can make Matt a blinky Magneto helmet instead of the blinky glasses.

-Make Apocalypse Please permanent and add a second, rotating piano slot. RBS/B&H/Hoodoo/Sunburn/etc?

Yes, I know it's never going to happen. :( The Madness crowd wouldn't recognize this Muse at all, but for a moment it looked like they were heading this way with the Psycho tour. *sigh*

I'm trying to think of how you could make a setlist that follows the conceptual narrative, but drawing a blank.

Guessing it may also end up closing with The Globalist + Drones, which I reckon could be a half-decent closer but when I put it on a few in the Perfect Setlist thread, it got seen as a strange one. Still, makes a change from Knights of Cydonia closing every gig.

It makes sense as a main set closer like they do it now.

I think framing the main set with 2 * Drones fits. If all songs in between would fit the theme it would be better.

Then make the crowd go wild during encores unrelated to the theme.

Well I wouldn't care if the encores are like one third of the set then (i.e. 5 songs in 3+2 or 4+1 multiple encore setting).

Then they can take the whole theme and put it on a DVD and pick and choose encores as add on if they wish to.

They could have a rotating happy ending or a sad one. :LOL:

They're not playing Aftermath, which is supposed to be the happy ending after the story, so maybe Sing For Absolution as the redemption song? haha. Or Bliss as the guy/girl falls in love again, but in a more obsessive and less cheesy way. :chuckle:

Downer ending gets TSP and TAB closer, with the devil showing up to get his dues and the drone-turned-dictator going to hell. I wouldn't mind that closer in the slightest. :awesome:

On my first Muse gig I got New Born, Stockholm Syndrome, MK Ultra, Take a Bow, Citizen Erased, Map and Bliss. I should've treasured that moment more.

You must've seen them in Australia?

In North America, every show got Stockholm, and most got Map and New Born (they cut it during the second leg of the NA tour), but MK Ultra, CE, Bliss and Take a Bow were pretty rare here and never together in the same show

You must've seen them in Australia?

In North America, every show got Stockholm, and most got Map and New Born (they cut it during the second leg of the NA tour), but MK Ultra, CE, Bliss and Take a Bow were pretty rare here and never together in the same show

Voodoo Fest had MK Ultra and CE: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/city-park-new-orleans-la-bd575ce.html :love:

I miss MK Ultra so much. :(

So based on what they've played and rotated, the best North American setlist of this tour could have been something like:

[Drones]

1. Psycho

2. Dead Inside

3. Interlude

4. Hysteria

5. Citizen Erased

6. The 2nd Law: Isolated System (pipe dream: replace with Plug in Baby)

7. The Handler

8. Map of the Problematique

9. Supermassive Black Hole

10. Prelude (pipe dream: replace with Bliss)

11. Starlight

12. Apocalypse Please

13. Munich Jam

14. Madness

15. Resistance

[JFK]

16. Reapers

17. Time Is Running Out

18. Uprising

19. The Globalist

[Drones reprise]

20. Mercy

21. Knights of Cydonia

Now, imagine if they had taken out Isolated System and Prelude and replaced them with PiB and Bliss respectively. I think that would leave people pretty damn satisfied overall, wouldn't it? Especially if CE was rotated with one more other longer or equivalent length rarities (e.g. CE / Assassin Omega Bosses / Agitated + Futurism / any 2 shorter length rarities)? And rotate Resistance and Revolt and/or Defector?

Wait, did I just predict the Europe setlists? :LOL::$

Edited by Corkscrewed