I noticed right away I was going to the gigs hoping to hear just a handful of songs I hadn't before, including the new album ones.

As has been said before, it's not even just that they play the same singles relentlessly, but they don't bring anything to them different from tour to tour. I don't really want to hear an acoustic set, and I think that pisses off fans seeing their first gigs anyways, but the staples don't seem to have much energy to them, and come off as very by the numbers. Same riffs, same intros, often even the same motions, and often not even anything spectacular in the visuals department, which seem to be reserved primarily for new songs, this tour in particular.

I wouldn't propose an acoustic set but reworking a song or two could be pretty cool. U2 just did a slowed-down version of a recent single "Every Breaking Wave" with only Bono singing and Edge on the piano. It sounded great and nobody seemed upset that we didn't get the full band version.

Hell, I had the opportunity (for lack of a better word) to see Lady Gaga in concert because my wife wanted to go. Amid all the overblown, Vegas style dance numbers, she performed "Born This Way" solo on the piano. The crowd went nuts...even more nuts than they already seemed. It was the most memorable part of the show for me besides all the male fans there dressed like Lady Gaga. On top of that, she skipped a bunch of her hit singles to play most of her new album instead. If Lady Gaga's top-40 driven fanbase can handle it, I'm sure that Muse would be fine.

Concerts are always a crap shoot, but I think it's pretty fair to say not a lot of people should be personally held accountable for buying tickets sight unseen to this tour expecting:

- heavier album, maybe heavier set (backed up by the festival tour!)

- more thematic, less like a slapped together cluster of hits (Matt himself talked about it)

- functioning stage props

- it wouldn't consist of less songs than the last arena tours in the same country; pretty much only as long as a festival

And, based on last tours, I would have expected at least a decent shot at seeing a cool older song or two that I hadn't seen before.

I've seen a grand total of three gigs and I've gotten TaB, Sunburn, US, Map, and GL (which I guess was rarer in the US.)

And one of those sets was only 15 songs long.

This tour, there was a good chance I wouldn't see a single non-Drones song I have seen at least twice already.

Of the five gigs that I've seen since the Resistance tour, Uprising, Resistance, UD, SMBH, Starlight, Knights, TIRO and Hysteria were played at all of them. Map was played at all but one.

At the TR and T2L shows that I saw, they played US, MK Ultra, Butterflies & Hurricanes, Ruled by Secrecy and Sunburn as rare tracks. The Drones show...zero songs that I hadn't seen before aside from the Drones songs. The prospect of seeing Citizen Erased, Bliss or AP, and then getting none was terribly disappointing. It will be interesting to see if Muse is really worth seeing again the next time they swing through the States.

I haven't been on the boards in a long time and I'm mad at myself for coming back. This place is an absolute mess of negativity and complaining. Its the same lot of you (for the most part) complaining about the same things in the most cyclical fashion possible. Either come to grips with what the band is or don't. It's not like were a union that can go on strike against an unjust employer, Muse is gonna do what Muse is gonna do. Unhappy with the sets? Don't go to 7 consecutive shows. Europe shows seem better? Save the money from doing 9 shows here and take a trip there to see one. Feel slighted the shows aren't long enough or there aren't enough rotations? Well, tough luck. If life's biggest problem is Muse then I'll let you know, you're pretty lucky. Yeah, I know I chime in on stuff with my own opinions but I know I'm not on anywhere near the level some of you are. I feel bad that some can't genuinely enjoy the show and experience without ripping it to pieces, which not only casts the band in a negative light but gives others trepidation as well. We all have visions of what we want the band to be but at the end of the day it's out of our control. I hope everyone enjoys their shows going forward and that everyone gets what they want

Maybe you haven't kept up with the thread, and that's fair. The people complaining and going to large amounts of shows are the minority, and kinda the same person/people.

I'd personally have to spend a pretty penny to see the band once, as they aren't coming anywhere near me.

Things become much more of an issue when looking at it from that respect.

Someone like ADL probably spent as much on travel for all his gigs than I would on one, not counting tickets (if he pays for those.) It's just the way the gig booking fell out (and one reason I'm already salty about the production being put before fans.)

So yeah, it's a downer to spend money on a ticket, and then a crapload on travel, only to find out the show is somehow shorter than previous tours, and malfunctional to boot. :(

If I had purely setlist complaints, I'd agree that being negative to this extent could be a bit unfair, but I think some accountability should be had for the length of the shows, and how they differ in different areas for no reason.

Band's should have some accountability for the service they are providing, and kept from taking the laziest route for the money.

I saw a 15 song gig during the TR phase; tied for the shortest on the tour with KY, I think. It didn't feel good.

I sure don't want to complain but I love Muse so much I want more at shows.

To me 2nd Law Isolated system is a total waste of time great for last album not now. I love a lot of Muse material they have to many great tunes to play the shows they have been. At a minimum they should play 22 songs. I want to see something special as well. I love Old Muse and I still love the new as well. I don't hate UD or Madness but one would be enough at a show. The only song I would love to be off for good would be Feeling Good. They have way to many great tunes in the catalog for that.

Once again, as someone who's paying to see them 5 times this year, I bought those tickets when the sets still looked worth it and promising. No one could have expected them to suddenly start reverting back to the TR days of 5/6 years ago and start playing as short sets as they can get away with, months after putting initial tickets up for sale.

Obviously buying tickets for concerts is always a gamble but there's only a certain amount of 'risk' you can or should have to account for. Even if the songs aren't exactly what everyone would like, Muse should still be putting out a service/product worth the prices they're charging, which 17 songs (again, around 1hr30 without filler) isn't imo.

That's my two cents. I'm gonna try to stop complaining now because I don't want to annoy people and I'm tired of it anyway tbh, though I don't see how anything will change if people just accept Muse blatantly shortchanging them. I only say the things I do because I like Muse and want to see them do better, because I know they can.

Edited by Jobby

Once again, as someone who's paying to see them 5 times this year, I bought those tickets when the sets still looked worth it and promising. No one could have expected them to suddenly start reverting back to the TR days of 5/6 years ago and start playing as short sets as they can get away with, months after putting initial tickets up for sale.

Obviously buying tickets for concerts is always a gamble but there's only a certain amount of 'risk' you can or should have to account for. Even if the songs aren't exactly what everyone would like, Muse should still be putting out a service/product worth the prices they're charging, which 17 songs (again, around 1hr30 without filler) isn't imo.

That's my two cents. I'm gonna try to stop complaining now because I don't want to annoy people and I'm tired of it anyway tbh, though I don't see how anything will change if people just accept Muse blatantly shortchanging them. I only say the things I do because I like Muse and want to see them do better, because I know they can.

Jobby I agree. I like your top ten songs as well

The frustrating part isn't even that the shows are terrible. It's just annoying that so little effort could make them way better. Another 2 or 3 songs would make a world of difference in each concert.

As it was, my show consisted of 6 Drones songs, a bunch of songs that have been played unchanged at every Muse concert I've ever seen...and Madness. Not terribly exciting. In fact, far less interesting than their past couple tours.

It could have been 6 Drones songs, the usual stuff plus songs X, Y and Z (whatever). It would have been so cool to hear a few songs that weren't the usual fare but, alas, not meant to be.

I don't think it's disrespectful to the band to say, hey, this isn't long enough... and it seems like other countries get longer sets. Why?

I can smell some racists

jk

I don't think it's disrespectful to the band to say, hey, this isn't long enough... and it seems like other countries get longer sets. Why?

Right, but it is super annoying to read it over and over here, because everyone here gets it: everyone wants rarities, longer sets, intimate gigs, and a unicorn. Let's keep repeating that over and over and keep preaching to the choir for who knows what reasons until we all get exhausted. It would make more sense to take it to twitter and tweet those involved with the tour, than to continue the daily mopey circle jerk that this thread has become. But let's keep on...

J1A7uAv.gif

It would make more sense to take it to twitter and tweet those involved with the tour, than to continue the daily mopey circle jerk that this thread has become. But let's keep on...

To be fair, the band and crew are speculated/kinda known to look at the board at least occasionally so it's not completely pointless, though Twitter would probably be more effective as you say. But, yeah, personally I'm gonna at least try to stop now. It's tiresome, annoying for other people and whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen anyway.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things improve in Europe (which, on a more positive note, is only 5 weeks away :happy:). The last couple of gigs have been getting better so let's hope that continues for the rest of the dates left.

Edited by Jobby

I'm definitely gonna be interested to see the European setlists. Surely they won't play the same setlists for 6 nights in a row in the cities they're doing that? They've shown even in the US that Bliss, Citizen Erased, Map and Apocalypse Please are on their radar and that they're capable of rotating at least one or two of their singles - Plug In Baby for Hysteria and sadly Resistance.

Can definitely see maybe Sunburn being picked up as a piano rotation, Reapers/Defector maybe being a rotation and Revolt being played a little more. Also reckon New Born/Stockholm could return.

Also did anyone already pick up on Matt throwing random uses of fuck back into songs again? I haven't been on the board much lately -

I'm definitely gonna be interested to see the European setlists. Surely they won't play the same setlists for 6 nights in a row in the cities they're doing that? They've shown even in the US that Bliss, Citizen Erased, Map and Apocalypse Please are on their radar and that they're capable of rotating at least one or two of their singles - Plug In Baby for Hysteria and sadly Resistance.

Can definitely see maybe Sunburn being picked up as a piano rotation, Reapers/Defector maybe being a rotation and Revolt being played a little more. Also reckon New Born/Stockholm could return.

Also did anyone already pick up on Matt throwing random uses of fuck back into songs again? I haven't been on the board much lately -

I reckon they'll keep their 'promise' of Showbiz in Bercy and London, Reapers'll probably have it's own staple slot again. I also think Sunburn'll only pop up once or maybe twice, it it comes back at all.

As for the fucks, yeah, he started doing it with AP last year iirc. Not sure if he's been doing it with anything else since though, other than the same old ones.

Great, so the East Coast can get an awesome set two tours in a row and the West Coast fans are idiots as usual for having the audacity to show up and expect a comparable set. Not to mention it's another opportunity for everyone on the East Coast regularly getting good good sets to tell us to stop complaining.

Now people doing New York back to back can get more rotation and more variety than I did in five dates that were 5 hours driving distsance from each other.

If you hate it so much, why go to five gigs you don't enjoy?

If you hate it so much, why go to five gigs you don't enjoy?

I really hate to answer like this, but for the millionth time, given the "this is our The Wall tour" "we're going back to our roots" "the arena tour is going to have a coherent theme throughout" comments in addition to the dozens of sets prior that were absolutely fine and awesome before the arena dates, I thought I was fairly safe and was going to be relatively happy with the gigs. I think it's extremely fair to expect a festival set to be comparable to the upcoming arenas, just add more material, we had no idea that we were looking at 17 songs (including every single hit they've ever had in this country) leaving one or two rotation slots a night.

Gave Phoenix a chance, they had issues in Dallas, they're playing it safe as they always do in Phoenix, whatever. Then I was locked in for the Vegas room due to a lack of consumer rights in the United States, so might as well do the show despite the reschedule in early January. Then Los Angeles is Los Angeles so "hey, maybe this will be really special as they always try to make Los Angeles something to remember, and it's multiple nights". Then the reschedule dates came up and as we saw in Dallas, they felt terrible about a two hour delay so maybe they're going to pull out Citizen/Bliss among other rarities because this was significantly more troublesome than a two hour delay.

I feel completely justified as to why I got the tickets and why I attended these shows given the circumstances. After the first show (Phoenix), we had every reason to expect each one of those shows to be something special.

I haven't been on the boards in a long time and I'm mad at myself for coming back. This place is an absolute mess of negativity and complaining.

Once upon a time I would've agreed with you, but nowadays I find the complaints pretty justified.

Muse gigs are promotional shows, their intent is to gain new fans and to sell albums. This is more obvious than ever following the Psycho tour, which showed that the band do have a decent idea of what their moderate-to-hardcore fan base wants, and shows like Download Festival, which prove that the band will adapt their setlist to meet the audience's expectation.

The complaints are that the band aren't performing shows for their more serious fans, but are selling out for the sake of mass-appeal, playing hits that will get the audience dancing but have long since lost their appeal for devoted fans. Not only that, their touring cycle effectively punishes serious fans, with the expensive ticket prices and "luck of the draw" system for picking rarities encouraging some people to spend a lot of money on several shows, none of which ultimately deliver what they want.

Muse are basically using smart business tactics to the detriment of their hardcore fans, that's why people are complaining.

Muse are basically using smart business tactics to the detriment of their hardcore fans, that's why people are complaining.

While I agree with your entire post, is it really smart business when you're seeing a decline in ticket sales, not to mention a sharp decline in enthusiasm from the crowds? If the pop "I want to hear the hits" audience has been the majority of attendees of the last two tours, and the tickets aren't selling strongly for this one, is that the audience you want to play to when statistically, the majority (fans of the singles) aren't coming back?

As I was saying to Advocate earlier, I don't need to survey everyone in the arena to get a general idea when attendance is this far down and we're assuming that the crowd mostly consists of these types.

In Phoenix, we're talking about 6,000 tickets in a 12,000 capacity arena, that's about 1200 people more than the amphitheater they played here in 2007, and keep in mind this is a new venue (6,000 seats less than the capacity of US Airways which they played in 2013/2010). In Vegas, GA was on sale the day of the show, and a group of 8 people behind us got their tickets for $30 (they were selling for $80) and there were rumors going around about other ways to get tickets through promotional deals.

I think lower ticket sales might have something to do with there not being an out-and-out hit on this album.

BHAR had Starlight + Supermassive + maybe Knights

TR had Uprising + Resistance + maybe UD (didn't chart well in England but not sure about anywhere else)

T2L had Madness

There was always a new big hit that might've brought a new wave of casual fans each time. Drones doesn't really have one from what I can tell. A couple of songs like Dead Inside and Mercy did alright but no stand-out hits tmk. Couple that with really late tour date announcements in a massive country where travel ain't the easiest thing and bingo.

idk, just speculation

hmmm it varies, I mean this album had a lot more air play on uk radio than the 2nd law... I mean 5 nights at the 02 fully sold out is not something to be sniffed at, by any means.

On another note, muse do put plenty of effort in, but the main songs do need to be played too.

I am a huge huge fan, and my circle of friends range from casual to pretty big fans but out of all the bands we've seen, and we've seen a lot, the only band that I never have trouble convincing people to take time of work to go and see is muse.

this is for two reasons, a) the show and b) the music. the shows are normally far above that of most bands of similar genres and the energy is a good mix. The music is also far more interesting and more importantly...DIVERSE.

hell, I'd love to see Stockholm syndrome as much as redemption.

ps) I have a friend who said muse were depressing and his favourite act was Eminem. I managed to get him to attend the 2nd law tour and he's now on his third show and they are now his favourite band in terms of actual music. That is the power of muse shows. They've just been so good for so long we just expect more :)

hmmm it varies, I mean this album had a lot more air play on uk radio than the 2nd law... I mean 5 nights at the 02 fully sold out is not something to be sniffed at, by any means.

I'm talking specifically in the US, nowhere else has had trouble selling tickets tmk. They'll always sell out UK venues with ease because of the massive fanbase they have here.

They've just been so good for so long we just expect more :)

Well, that and most of their peers are doing a lot more.

biggest closet fanbase ever. like in terms of how much they proliferate social media, tv and radio and sales is not correlating with the sheer amounts of live tickets they sell.

strange phenomenon!

"Seen them already, new song isn't that good, can't be bothered to pay that much/travel that far"

Muse are on tour all the time. People get bored.

I'm talking specifically in the US, nowhere else has had trouble selling tickets tmk. They'll always sell out UK venues with ease because of the massive fanbase they have here.

The culture in the UK is very different when dealing with music from what I've been told. Exposure is much more difficult since we have radio stations that you'd be lucky to get a hundred miles outside of the city it's being broadcast from so you're dealing with hundreds of stations with their own crews that have their own tastes/preferences, we don't have anything like the BBC, satellite radio is a thing but it's not quite popular unless you're driving around a lot so I suppose spotify/youtube are the best metrics they have, but the argument to make is that a spotify play does not equal a ticket sold in a live setting. I don't know how well that "culture" argument holds up anymore with the internet being a thing.

At least in my generation, we're sick of radio because it's quite literally 1 song, two minute commercial break to pay the bills (since you know, everything relies on ad revenue here), it's awful. Is radio even a major factor anymore?