Since the twitter requests seem to work (they played Citizen in Toronto and Bliss in Montreal, we'll see if they play Citizen tonight), why not do it again for Quebec City?

We could try with New Born, since it's been notably absent from the tour and it would fit nicely in the OoS slot. We can tweet @glenrowe, @nowherethomas and @mattbellamy with the hashtag #NewBorn4Quebec

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm sure there'd be fall out if the band actually stripped back, with tons of people going hoping for a big spectacle. Saddening.

It did sound like Matt said he thought it had gone too far, last tour; interesting to hear Dom say similar..

Well I mean if they're really not a fan of the crowds they're getting, alienating the spectacle/pop people would be the fastest way to fix that. Then again, I'm not quite sure if people would be alienated if they did a Download set every night.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Well I mean if they're really not a fan of the crowds they're getting, alienating the spectacle/pop people would be the fastest way to fix that. Then again, I'm not quite sure if people would be alienated if they did a Download set every night.

It's less about the set, and more just about the "big show" aspect of it. They've seemed very afraid that if they scale that back, people will be disappointed because Muse=big flashy crap. They're probably right.

And that's not just for the US.

Seeing the two awesome songs (CE and Bliss) that had been eliminated from US sets come back the minute they got out the US does seem to point to the fact that they do in fact hate us here. :'(

I think it was the Unsustainable Tour when they decided that show was going too far. Don't really recall any similar comments being made about The 2nd Law arena legs. Although clearly that meant to be stripped down in a "no fire-spouting robots or actors on stage" sense, not "alright, back to one screen and a box of lights" sense.

I don't get the sense that this a tour with a production being done because, "Oh, well people expect Muse to do spectacle - let's do something way over-the-top". I get the sense this is more just doing 2 long-running ideas - a 360 stage and a fleet of self-propelled flying objects. I can remember talk that the Resistance arena tour was going to be a true centre-stage tour, not a 360 end-stage production, although with the towers, it might've been even more impractical. Same with Health & Safety blocking the bringing of self-propelled flying objects to Wembley, V 2008, Glastonbury 2010, etc. (the UFO was on wires so I doubt you can count it).

It does seem like a thing that started with a good basic concept, and has gradually snowballed out of control, and not least given all the fun with the drones that work one gig, not at all at the next one, and then crash into the audience at the one after that.

Whether or not this is Unsustainable Tour level spectacle, it's still a huge production compared to what most bands do.

It would be if they did a traditional show that unfortunately I honestly believe people would be disappointed, and I'm sure Muse is aware and makes decisions based on that.

Matt might have been talking about giant robots and actors, but Dom's talking about this tour.

The small tour did amazing based on the novelty of small gig Muse, though, and I do wish they'd just reinvent themselves starting with that, and become a band that stands more on live musicianship than spectacle. They're obviously good enough to stand on their own merits and don't need to hide behind the flash.

The white orbs do look damn cool when they're working; it's just that your odds so far of actually seeing it look cool (or at all) are pretty low.

Its always been the way to some degree or other - in the Mark Beaumont biography, there's a quote from back when they were in pre-production for Absolution saying that they felt an arena gig needed more than just them on stage. Somewhat ironic to read now given we look at the Absolution Tour stuff in 2003/04 as being stripped down by modern Muse standards.

To some degree I don't mind the faff, flash and flam too much - most gigs are end-stage with a screen and lights, and it gets samey after a while. Its obviously tried and true over generations, but I do find it cool to see the odd act that looks for something different, and I really enjoyed the Unsustainable Tour as that felt like a gig with both band doing in good form musically, and backed by an impressively spectacular production, even if there were elements (the actors) that weren't strictly required.

I don't think I'd be disappointed if Muse just did simple - Brighton and Shepherd's Bush were fantastic gigs with just band, stage and a tarp. But it feels like its too easy to see mass spectacle as bad, and this tour does look great both with and without the magical malfunctioning orbs, even if its probably better in seats. I also doubt this was done as a tour designed for that, and more just something they've wanted to do forever that they now can do. Maybe if the spectacle tail is wagging the musical dog, its an issue, although its gone back and forth on that one about 20 times already.

But whatever. I think PopMart is U2's best looking tour and also one of its best sounding, and most people of the time said it was overbearing shit filled with mirrorball lemons and silly hats. :chuckle:

^ as far as the show goes, I took my dad with me to download and he's a casual fan, and he said "it was good, but where was the amazing light show/*insert muse and their rep for the theatrics etc*.

It seems they may have paved themselves into a corner

^ as far as the show goes, I took my dad with me to download and he's a casual fan, and he said "it was good, but where was the amazing light show/*insert muse and their rep for the theatrics etc*.

It seems they may have paved themselves into a corner

That's kind of the tone I got from Dom in that interview, since he calls the tour a 'nightmare' and literally says things keep snowballing. :chuckle:

The visuals wouldn't be a problem so much if they worked, and if they didn't limit the setlist.

That's my main problem with the sort of thing, is there's a set of songs you HAVE to get, and in some cases that's the current album tracks, which is fine, but in others it means you're getting Feeling Good with some lady drinking out of a gas pump...

Since the twitter requests seem to work (they played Citizen in Toronto and Bliss in Montreal, we'll see if they play Citizen tonight), why not do it again for Quebec City?

We could try with New Born, since it's been notably absent from the tour and it would fit nicely in the OoS slot. We can tweet @glenrowe, @nowherethomas and @mattbellamy with the hashtag #NewBorn4Quebec

Thanks!

I definitely support doing a campaign like this, but if it is actually working, why not try something more interesting? I know New Born is a great song and hasn't shown up this tour, but it's a long stretch to consider it much of a rarity in the grander scheme of things.

I'd much rather have either Bliss or CE (granted I am biased, having never seen either of those two yet, and really *really* hoping for either one!)

But since they seem to like Quebec (both Montreal and QC City), why not try something more adventurous that would be a really huge treat? How about #Fury4Quebec, or #Assassin4Quebec?? Either of those would be much more exciting rarities, and fall within the realm of stuff they have actually played in recent time and we might have a chance at. :)

I think it's best honestly to stick with songs they've been playing. If it gets too out there, they're probably less likely to go along with it anymore.

Getting everyone on board to ask for the same song at the same gig is important, and I think it's very reasonable that they might play songs like CE and Bliss that have been played recently.

I think it's best honestly to stick with songs they've been playing. If it gets too out there, they're probably less likely to go along with it anymore.

Getting everyone on board to ask for the same song at the same gig is important, and I think it's very reasonable that they might play songs like CE and Bliss that have been played recently.

I only threw those out there because they have both showed up from time to time and did pop up on the Psycho tour.

But if we have to all agree on a song that has been getting played more often, I'd go for #CitizenErased4Quebec for sure. Might actually be more likely than New Born anyway, as it goes.

#Fury4Quebec, or #Assassin4Quebec??

ok cool I would be very down for thi-

I'd much rather have either Bliss or CE

(I do actually agree though btw :chuckle: Bliss and CE have been two of the biggest 'go-to' request songs since like '09, it'd be nice to freshen it up a bit and bring back some different fan favourites)

ok cool I would be very down for thi-

(I do actually agree though btw :chuckle: Bliss and CE have been two of the biggest 'go-to' request songs since like '09, it'd be nice to freshen it up a bit and bring back some different fan favourites)

Hey now, you pulled that out of order :LOL: I'd rather have Bliss or CE over New Born, but either Assassin or Fury would take the cake.