Better than the Chelmsford performance imo (the one we got as an xmas pro-shot). We slag off Matt's tone from that era but the crunch here is mega. Them choruses, that 'fading' belt, that whammy fuckery. Easily in with a shout for my fave Dead Star.

The Reading '11 performance of Feeling Good is surprisingly good as well imo. I usually write off any performances of that after '01. Sounds heavier than I remember it being back then though, w/ some powerful 'blossom' and 'freedom' belts (tho the latter was marginally better at Leeds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iRTThDTN5g

It's such a shame they didn't dig out Dead Star for R&L 2011.

I knowwww, was thinking that while listening back to them </3 Futurism was an understandable miss back then but didn’t Chris actively hint at Dead Star iirc?

I remember blurting out ‘Dead Star???’ the second What’s He Building started, and then again just before Knights as Matt whipped out the Drop D (alas, for Stockholm). Hadn’t seen it back then and thought I probs never would so I was a bit gutted, even after seeing my #1 album in full :chuckle: Even kept looking back at the stage as I left out of paranoia they’d come back on and do it.

Looking back it is hard to begrudge them though tbf, after playing all those songs again for the first time in ages amongst a legit 2 hour set.

.......coulda dropped that 5 minute UD tho

• 4 months later...

Yay Drones songs, just what this thread, er, needs...

This is the best live version of The Handler apart from Download (where he got the lyrics wrong), right?

(Still not a patch on the studio version)

[YT]

[/YT]

Also this should have gone on the Psycho DVD, not the Exeter version (even though I was at Exeter) for that outro:

[YT]

[/YT]

Fucking hell, this was a great gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrMOD5Va5c

Perfect mix of old and new, little to no faff between songs, Matt on srsly good form. The sound is pretty superb too, drums perhaps just a little high in the mix but everything else is sweet. They even manage to get Chris's harmonies about spot on too.

I challenge anyone to watch that followed by the 2017/18 performances and not find it superior in every respect. I'm going to do everything I can to catch them early on the next tour. Was so glad to see them at Download 2015.

I challenge anyone to watch that followed by the 2017/18 performances and not find it superior in every respect. I'm going to do everything I can to catch them early on the next tour. Was so glad to see them at Download 2015.

Yeah they were absolutely on form during that festival run in 2015. Dom and Chris in particular were so tight and Matt didn't constantly sound laboured 45 minutes into sets.

Mayan gig had some pretty good performances too, especially of Bliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dmZt4Q2jpo

I think 2015 was definitely one of the highlight years for many songs, Bliss especially. The performance of it at Brighton Dome reminds me a lot of classic Origin-era Matt. Especially at the end of the final chorus where he drops the final line and has fun with the hullabaloons instead. Throws me back to Hullabaloo itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbNAKuQEb0

^ weirdly similar experience

Had the exact same thought at the end of the Manchester performance when Matt ended up laughing through the last lines and eventually stopped to point and shout about something flying through the crowd over the mic (sumat like “What the fuck is that?? Looks like a fucking ____”). With the mad crowd and balloons, it felt like I’d stepped into through a 2001 wormhole for a minute. If only they’d dare close with it </3

Yes 2015 was a v good time guys, stop reminding me ‘cos I miss it. Though I do think we should appreciate 2017/18 for the By Request gigs, TAB, Stockholm and Showbiz’s comeback alone.