The mixing seemed a little flat. Love that "do what the" *BWARK* "you want to" line though :chuckle:

It was brilliant! :LOL:

I don't think I could have powered my way through that show for anything less than Muse... And then mostly just because I wanted to know what other song they played so bad. :LOL:

I've seen Madness live a lot now.

Although it was nice to actually see them ON THE TV and not on the computer/iPod.

Agreed. Such a dreadful show. I haven't watched it since the last time Muse was on! It is so bizarre seeing Muse on a screen bigger than my laptop. :chuckle:

And yeah, the amount of commercials we have to tolerate in the US is horrible. Luckily I don't watch much TV! I remember as a kid going to London and being fascinated that you could watch an entire show with NO commercials whatsoever! At least we have PBS which is mostly commercial-free during shows.

Seriously? I'm not that knowledgeable with how European TV works.

Here you pay a fee that's mandatory if you want to watch live tv, even on your computer. It goes to fund the BBC so if you watch any BBC channels there's no adverts when they show something whatsoever a lot of the time, and the adverts inbetween programmes are only for other BBC channels or programmes.

I still don't understand how things get marketed and sold, if they're not shoved in your face all day during TV programs...

Magazines, billboards, internet ads, word of mouth, posters, radio...there are quite a lot of ways actually :chuckle: Plus most TV programs do have adverts (quite a lot), just not as many as in the USA.

I still don't understand how things get marketed and sold, if they're not shoved in your face all day during TV programs...

Well there's all the non-tv marketing and only a small proportion of all the available channels are BBC. Even the non BBC ones though "only" have adverts between programmes and once in the middle. When I was in Florida it was like you were watching adverts occassionally punctuated by TV. I think there were 3 ad breaks per programme.

Well there's all the non-tv marketing and only a small proportion of all the available channels are BBC. Even the non BBC ones though "only" have adverts between programmes and once in the middle. When I was in Florida it was like you were watching adverts occassionally punctuated by TV. I think there were 3 ad breaks per programme.

3 ad breaks is pretty common place. Once every 10 minutes or so. Big events (like the Closing Ceremony) get ads like every 3 minutes.

Magazines, billboards, internet ads, word of mouth, posters, radio...there are quite a lot of ways actually :chuckle: Plus most TV programs do have adverts (quite a lot), just not as many as in the USA.

It's not like we don't have any of that. We just have all that plus a million TV ads.

Coorperations wouldn't buy ads if they didn't work. If you get a real good campaign going, sometimes it passes around by word of mouth and your product gets even more exposure...people actually seek ads out when they are really good. Think Superbowl ads...halftime is like prime ad time, and companies hire ad firms and spend millions of dollars on making the funniest, most over the top ad they can. Then people look them up over and over on YouTube, and your product is the shizz all of a sudden...

Anyway, yeah, over the last few years, the only thing keeping SNL relevent was Andy Samburg and the occasional Justin Timberlake collaboration. Watching last night was painful. But the band was great, Panic Station was awesome! And I adore that jacket Matt wore....

Italian television has a mandatory annual fee (like 110 € or something) but we still get tons of adverts :LOL:

Ireland is the same, with an even higher fee. But I spend most of my TV watching with British channels anyway, gotta love satellite and terrestrial overspill and whatnot. :p

Edit: And for something a bit on topic, sorta, I bloody would love if that type of censorship is used in any clean version that may come along with the Panic Station single release!

It was kind of funny, I was wondering once the song started (and I picked myself up off the floor) how they were going to get around the censors on tv...I thought it was well done, and he definately looked badass doing it...

I rather like the way Matt says "fuck" in my ear when I am listening to it on headphones...sounds a bit like an invitation....:p:LOL:

Just got a hold of the episode, I'm a fan of how Panic Station was censored! :LOL:

I also actually really like the bands new look, I wonder will this stick throughout the tour though or are they their TV costumes, not that it really matters. :LOL: First time I've noticed Bellamy's dodgy tooth.

Of course, this was like the mid-80s, ages ago. I remember watching The Young Ones. :chuckle: But is sounds like they do have some adverts now. Just not nearly as rampant as the US.

Ads in US right now are extremely blown out of proportion due to the political season right now too though, and it's only going to get worse in the next month. I work for a TV station so just about the last thing in the world I want to do when I get home is turn a TV on.

Of course, this was like the mid-80s, ages ago. I remember watching The Young Ones. :chuckle: But is sounds like they do have some adverts now. Just not nearly as rampant as the US.

It's very simple. BBC channels are paid for by the license fee (essentially a TV tax) and both national and international syndication and they have no adverts. All other channels have adverts.

The BBC only have 10 channels (two of these are just parallel HD broadcasts and two are childrens' channels) so out of the hundreds that exist it's only the minority that have no advertisements.

Archived