The fact that you didn't know the origin of the word doesn't make it less hurtful. My very conservative parents would have washed my mouth out with soap had I been caught using that word. So let's not pretend its some new level of victim culture we white people gave to endure unjustly. Even Republicans like my parents refrain from using a word that offends people and will not try to defend it. Its not about political identity it's about human decency.

Anyway. Raw. Angst. There's my on topic contribution ;)

Can you please all get back on topic? And a "one line to be on topic whilst discussing something else off topic" doesn't count. Otherwise we'll have to start infracting.

If you want to discuss racism and political correctness you have the non muse section for that.

Thanks

You missed my point entirely. I was not aware of the origins of the word as stated, and used it in an innocuous manner yet racist accusations are thrown around. It's silly
You were simply told that it was a racial slur, quite nicely at that. It wasn't until after you started to actually defend your usage of the word that the idea of racist views was brought up.

Racism is about so much more than hating on other "races" these days. Although I'm really not in the mood for holding a lecture on the subject as you already seem dead set on loathing "political correctness".

And you're welcome to explain to me what you meant by "but rather convey the connotation of the word" then, since I obviously missed the point.

Also you realizing categorically saying "white people" = racists without knowing my ethnicity at all is hugely ignorant and racist.

I'm not saying that white people are racists (Are you also one of the people who say "not all men"?). However, white men are the only group who consistently gains advantages in a society which is built on racism. Structural racism, which can't happen to white people today.

But no, I don't know if you're actually white. Are you?

You were simply told that it was a racial slur, quite nicely at that. It wasn't until after you started to actually defend your usage of the word that the idea of racist views was brought up.

Racism is about so much more than hating on other "races" these days. Although I'm really not in the mood for holding a lecture on the subject as you already seem dead set on loathing "political correctness".

And you're welcome to explain to me what you meant by "but rather convey the connotation of the word" then, since I obviously missed the point.

I'm not saying that white people are racists (Are you also one of the people who say "not all men"?). However, white men are the only group who consistently gains advantages in a society which is built on racism. Structural racism, which can't happen to white people today.

But no, I don't know if you're actually white. Are you?

Bah let's just forget it. By the way I'm fair-skinned and Mexican/Spanish. I came off stronger than I wanted to with the whole PC business, but it just seems like everything said is super serious and it grinds my gears. I didn't know about the origins of that word, but I was informed and as I said before I can vouch for at least my close friends who toss it around from time to time have no clue where it came from, nor do they know that it is apparently a racial slur when used as a verb rather than a noun. Main thing here is I would watch my choice of words if it directly offended someone here rather than being told it carries the potential to offend, nevertheless I only used it innocuously without knowing its origin but needless to say I'm not going to repeat it.

Moving onwards, I think it's promising that Matt was stoic and proper in addressing his fans. I really do hope he's doing well, I'm very excited for the next couple of months.

nor do they know that it is apparently a racial slur when used as a verb rather than a noun

It's racist as both actually, but could be considered more so even in the case of the verb because its actual definition is negative.

But yeah, that's a sensible reply, and the one you should have used in the first place, without trying to put the blame on someone else. Say that you didn't know, and learn from it (and preferably apologise...but you know)

Now we shake hands and the mods can infract me if they'd like.

With the possibility of Matt using a 7-stringed guitar, part of me wonders if he'd consider using an even lower tuning on LP7.

This video shows a 9-stringed guitar, with the lowest string tuned to C#. The riff at 0:33 could possibly sound like a heavy Muse riff a la Execution Commentary with that heavy bass sound.

Forget the rest of the song, it's hardly something I'd expect Muse to come out with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXi3jnjc5NU#t=33

With the possibility of Matt using a 7-stringed guitar, part of me wonders if he'd consider using an even lower tuning on LP7.

This video shows a 9-stringed guitar, with the lowest string tuned to C#. The riff at 0:33 could possibly sound like a heavy Muse riff a la Execution Commentary with that heavy bass sound.

Forget the rest of the song, it's hardly something I'd expect Muse to come out with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXi3jnjc5NU#t=33

I wouldn't object- I'd love to hear Stockholm Syndrome, Futurism and Citizen Erased with a super-heavy tone. I wonder if Deftones are on Muse's radar much these days.

Cue even more outrage from the metal community if he does, though. Proof that 8-stringers are the preserve of un-kvlt posers!

Archived