Where does The 2nd Law rank for you?

Museic07

Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th

Need to give it more time before the albums can be compared evenly and fairly, but here's what I'm thinking right now ranking-wise:

1. Black Holes & Revelations

2=The 2nd Law, 2= Origin Of Symmetry

4. Absolution

5. The Resistance

6. Showbiz

Matt's voice gets unequivocally better album-upon-album, more powerful and less nasal, while retaining a brilliant range. :)

1. Absolution- 5/5

2. Origin of Symmetry/The 2nd Law- ?

4. The Resistance 4.5/5

5. Black Holes and Revelations- 4/5

6. Showbiz- 3.5/5

Origin and 2nd law are neck and neck for me. Its interesting, I'm usually a stickler for an album sounding like a complete piece of work but most albums that attempt to be exactly that, an album, usually comprise of songs from the same vein. The songs on The 2nd Law aren't even from the same planet when compared to each-other. But in my mind this is kind of like Achtung Baby in the sense that yeah every song on AB was very different, so in that sense they were all alike, but if you listen to each song individually throughout a day they were all SO different from one another that it made an interesting album.

Its one thing if the 2nd law was just a collection of singles but its not. Every song is so fresh and different from the each other that I think it actually makes it a very rare "Achtung Baby Style Album". Not many bands can pull it off but I think Muse has, and for the first time. Their past albums (Especially Abso and Origin and Resistance) have a very good flow to them because most of the songs sound from if not the same vein at least the same neighborhood.

So i'm struggling to decide which album I love more, Origin or 2nd Law......Right not i'll give the edge to Origin but that could change in an hour haha. The rest of my ranking is solid though.

WARNING: Whiny rant incoming...

This album has made me miss The Resistance somewhat. It's not that this is bad, there's a lot of really good songs on here, but it feels like the band has finally just turned into a whole different thing than in the first three albums. I know that's not necessarily a bad thing, they're still making good music, but it's happy and jokey and poppy and fun. I think TR fell into the transition period, but now the angst of the first few albums is all but gone. Even the songs that are supposed to be in that vein seem like Muse adding in a few "old Muse" songs just for the sake of the fans.

I was looking at the tracklist from TR and I started asking myself how many songs from T2L am I actually going to be really into three years from now.... And I think maybe just Madness, Panic Station, Animals and Save Me. That's not too bad a haul but I think overall T2L might fall into fifth or sixth place eventually. I won't rank them yet because it's too soon but I just have that feeling.

I don't know if I can really describe it too well. Basically, I really like the album but it still makes me nostalgic because I feel like Absolution is gone from Muse's thoughts at this point. We're in a new era of Muse.

Of course people will disagree and flame, as is their right, that's just my opinion :LOL:

Last time I answered one of these polls, TR had just come out and I was in the honeymoon phase. Ranked it as #1, and a few weeks later I wished I could take my vote back. :LOL:

1 - Absolution. Until Muse come up with something better than Stockholm Syndrome, Blackout, B&H, Apocalypse Please, TIRO, Hysteria, etc., I'm never moving Abso from the #1 spot again. :yesey:

2 - Origin. Same as above.

3 - Black Holes & Revelations. I'm not a big fan of this album as a whole, but it has outstanding songs (TaB, KoC, Hoodoo, MotP, even SMBH as a live song is amazing) that sound like Muse, while 2nd Law sounds alien to my ears.

4 - The 2nd Law.

5 - The Resistance. Didn't age well, don't listen to it much except for Exo as one big song of awesome.

6 - Showbiz.

So there you go. I might switch 3 and 4 eventually, but I really think T2L is better than TR, if only because T2L doesn't have Guiding Light, IBTY, and Resistance on it. :p

Why all the hate for Showbiz?! :eek:

Off the top of my head after just a couple of goes, I thought this -

1. OOS

2. Showbiz / Abso

4. T2L

5. BH&R

6. TR

But then I saw this and thought I'd give it a whirl....

I couldn't decide off the top of my head, so I had to write out all the songs I think are fucking ace and do it solely on a numbers game :LOL:

1. Abso / Origin (7 songs I adore on each album)

2. The 2nd Law (6)

3. BH&R / Showbiz (4)

4. TR (2, because I count Exogenesis as just one big song)

...and came up with this -

1. OOS/Abso/Showbiz/T2L (8 each!)

5. BH&R (4)

6. TR (3)

So basically for me they started out strong, had a wobble in the middle, and are now making a comeback in the awesomness stakes :D

I won't lie. I was, at first, horrified to see how high The 2nd Law was ranking for some people. That was quickly replaced, however, by seeing how low resistance was coming in!

What the hell guise?! Resistance, as a song, is epic. Uprising is a classic too. Then guiding light is nice, and USoE is kickass!

Archived