Where does The 2nd Law rank for you?

Museic07

Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th

I won't lie. I was, at first, horrified to see how high The 2nd Law was ranking for some people. That was quickly replaced, however, by seeing how low resistance was coming in!

What the hell guise?! Resistance, as a song, is epic. Uprising is a classic too. Then guiding light is nice, and USoE is kickass!

No.

SRSLY! BECAUSE IT'S SHIT. Omg!!!! :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:

Dunno, man. It seems like a risky assertion. I can't see any obvious reason for disliking it. Indeed, it probably holds 50% of my favourite Muse tracks. The 2nd Law on the other hand...

I heard some samples of a few tracks before it came out and was in the minority within my friends, in that I expected to enjoy the new style. Ironically, I didn't and my friends did. I think the only tracks I'd actually want to listen to again are Survival and Madness, which is saying something because they aren't great.

I wouldn't call it hate, just a lack of many standout songs. My favourites from it are Uno, Muscle Museum (which I don't rank terribly highly), Sunburn (great) and Spiral Static (Amazing, but isn't even on the regular studio album).

But at least it's an album and not a collection of random songs thrown together like T2L. T2L does have some good moments (Supremacy, Survival, Animals, Save Me) but Supremacy into Madness WTF

Dunno, man. It seems like a risky assertion. I can't see any obvious reason for disliking it. Indeed, it probably holds 50% of my favourite Muse tracks. The 2nd Law on the other hand...

I heard some samples of a few tracks before it came out and was in the minority within my friends, in that I expected to enjoy the new style. Ironically, I didn't and my friends did. I think the only tracks I'd actually want to listen to again are Survival and Madness, which is saying something because they aren't great.

Oh look, you can type.

TR was just way too inconsistent in terms of song quality. It's an album that just doesn't translate well live either, whereas most of the songs on T2L could work very well live.

And if you can't enjoy the massive lolz that is Panic Station then I feel sorry for you. Just dance your face off, and then go listen to Animals and Supremacy again.

I won't lie. I was, at first, horrified to see how high The 2nd Law was ranking for some people. That was quickly replaced, however, by seeing how low resistance was coming in!

What the hell guise?! Resistance, as a song, is epic. Uprising is a classic too. Then guiding light is nice, and USoE is kickass!

I will admit to quite liking Resistance and Uprising, but epic/classic they are NOT! The ONLY really great song on TR imo is MK Ultra.

I couldn't decide off the top of my head, so I had to write out all the songs I think are fucking ace and do it solely on a numbers game :LOL:

1. Abso / Origin (7 songs I adore on each album)

2. The 2nd Law (6)

3. BH&R / Showbiz (4)

4. TR (2, because I count Exogenesis as just one big song)

I liked this idea, so I thought I would give it a go - despite the fact that I haven't heard T2L yet so probably shouldn't even be here.

OoS - I like 9, adore 3

BH&R/Abso - like 8 each, adore 4 each

Showbiz - like 8, adore 3

TR - like 6, adore 2 (Exo = 1 song for me)

This list is in direct contradiction to what my 'gut feeling' list was on the other thread, where OoS was last (ish). Very interesting.

Oh look, you can type.

TR was just way too inconsistent in terms of song quality. It's an album that just doesn't translate well live either, whereas most of the songs on T2L could work very well live.

And if you can't enjoy the massive lolz that is Panic Station then I feel sorry for you. Just dance your face off, and then go listen to Animals and Supremacy again.

Yes, I can type, m'good man.

Fair enough. "Everyone has their opinion" etc. Still don't quite understand the inconsistency remark. I see no evidence of that.

The album is OK. The major problem I have, is that if I want any of generic funk/dubstep/punk rock (liquid state), then I can just go and find it. Similar songs from those genres are in abundance, whereas Muse's style isn't.

I enjoy all of the above styles, I just enjoy Muse for their unique sound.

Then again: Perhaps other fans had wanted something new after their apparent (and from my POV; inexplicable) dislike of The Resistance.

Fair enough. "Everyone has their opinion" etc. Still don't quite understand the inconsistency remark. I see no evidence of that.

The album is OK. The major problem I have, is that if I want any of generic funk/dubstep/punk rock (liquid state), then I can just go and find it. Similar songs from those genres are in abundance, whereas Muse's style isn't.

NEWSFLASH: Muse have never really been unique.

Epic? What makes "Resistance" epic?

Then again: Perhaps other fans had wanted something new after their apparent (and from my POV; inexplicable) dislike of The Resistance.

But they don't have one unique sound, do they? That's what's so great about them - they'll give anything and everything a go, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. TR didn't so much. BH&R didn't so much.

T2L is a pretty mixed bag so I think it's pretty hard to pigeon hole it tbh.

Epic? What makes "Resistance" epic?

... I don't really know how to respond to that.

That shouldn't be taken to mean anything, though. If you asked me what makes Bohemian Rhapsody 'epic' I wouldn't be able to answer either, but we know it is.

... I don't really know how to respond to that.

That shouldn't be taken to mean anything, though. If you asked me what makes Bohemian Rhapsody 'epic' I wouldn't be able to answer either, but we know it is.

Good point actually.

I don't know why exactly TR is so shit, but we all know it is.

But they don't have one unique sound, do they? That's what's so great about them - they'll give anything and everything a go, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. TR didn't so much. BH&R didn't so much.

T2L is a pretty mixed bag so I think it's pretty hard to pigeon hole it tbh.

Fine. Let's forget the word "unique" so that you can actually try to put forward an argument. We can take my use of 'unique' to mean that I like the sound that is unique to muse: Heavy distorted bass, sometimes with background classical and Matt Bellamy wailing - or something similar.

Is there really dislike for Resistance and BH&R here?

Actually... I just had another glance at the BH&R track listing. Starlight is nice. SMBH is so-so. Knights of Cydonia is good. But it isn't ideal.

We can take my use of 'unique' to mean that I like the sound that is unique to muse: Heavy distorted bass, sometimes with background classical and Matt Bellamy wailing - or something similar.

Those sounds aren't unique to Muse though. Not even close. Just switch out Bellamy for another vocalist and you have tons of bands who fit that description, which is quite the opposite of "unique".

Fine. Let's forget the word "unique" so that you can actually try to put forward an argument. We can take my use of 'unique' to mean that I like the sound that is unique to muse: Heavy distorted bass, sometimes with background classical and Matt Bellamy wailing - or something similar.

Is there really dislike for Resistance and BH&R here?

Actually... I just had another glance at the BH&R track listing. Starlight is nice. SMBH is so-so. Knights of Cydonia is good. But it isn't ideal.

No wonder you don't like The 2nd Law considering the songs you define good from Muse.

Those sounds aren't unique to Muse though. Not even close. Just switch out Bellamy for another vocalist and you have tons of bands who fit that description, which is quite the opposite of "unique".

If we were to swap out Matt Bellamy then the resulting group wouldn't fit my description :S

Archived