Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

But he is right. The fact the second part is almost identical just loses any instant shock value the first part had. It's like if USoE were to go back soft and break into the "be only one!" again, it wouldn't be as special. Instead they build up to that part a second time without being the same.

Don't get me wrong though, this is the first release in years from Muse that's actually got me excited.

>not greentexting

>implying

Yeah I kinda agree, a different 2nd breakdown was needed. Hopefully he'll modify it live though, or he will add something.

and that's cheating

Yeah I kinda agree, a different 2nd breakdown was needed. Hopefully he'll modify it live though, or he will add something.

and that's cheating

I'm really really looking forward to this live (assuming they play it), especially that second reporter breakdown with the drums and everything.

But still, the structure is just meh.

This new album really has created amazing divides... (as if we needed more division between each other)

Some people absolutely resent one song, but adore the other, and vise verse. Amazing stuff. :)

Agreed. I mentioned it earlier but muselive has had the exact opposite opinion of this board.

It lacks lyrics but at least it's a lot better than the massive pile of wank that is Survival in its entirety.
:LOL: It looks like those who liked Survival don't like Unsustainable and those who like Unsustainable don't like Survival :LOL:

Predictably, I don't fit in any of those categories and like both songs :D At this point overall, I may like Survival a bit more but the highlights in Unsustainable have much more impact on me than the highlights in Survival. If that makes sense. Errr. LOL

As much as I love the part with Matt's vocal and I'd like to hear more. I think it would have been overdone if he had been wailing like that throughout the song. :chuckle: Less is more. It is the brevity of it that makes it striking I think. It makes me want to cling on, which fits very well with the theme.

Incidentally though I think it is easier to take in the music without the video, I still really like the video. Makes me feel so sad when the people are running. I think they are meant to be the people of the future, innocent victims of the mess we have made. :(

Well I meant Matt's voice including some lyrics. ;) But yes, that would be overdone. :LOL:

Agreed. I mentioned it earlier but muselive has had the exact opposite opinion of this board.
But most people here also love the song, not sure why you're saying that? Check out the poll results. Though it's true that .mu has been the place where opinions are more varied. Muselive seems to love it (!!!), or at least what I've read so far, and on Twitter everything seems to be overwhelming positive too.

Survival got by far more mixed reviews.

But most people here also love the song, not sure why you're saying that? Check out the poll results. Though it's true that .mu has been the place where opinions are more varied. Muselive seems to love it (!!!), or at least what I've read so far, and on Twitter everything seems to be overwhelming positive too.

Survival got by far more mixed reviews.

Well a few posts that have praised Unsustainable have been countered and argued over, while I remember some posts talking bad about Survival were chewed out.

Over there everyone hated Survival to petition it not to be on the album, and Unsustainable is possibly the most well received Muse song over there since 2006. I'm just basing over what the discussion has been rather than the poll.

I really really liked it until everything started repeating a second time (the reporter + the guitar 'dubstep' bit). Seemed a bit... I dunno. Will listen to it again. Maybe it'll sound better in context.

EDIT: Don't mind it as much on the second playthrough. Lots of little details I picked up this time 'round which make the song (track?) that much more interesting.

I guess I would have to admit the reason I like it, and I liked it in the trailer, had more to do with the impact of suprise, and just HOW different it was.

It was all very unexpected when I first heard it, and the transition from strings, to the (albeit flawed logic) newscast, to the UNSUSTAINABLE into the incredibly unexpected dubstep...

When I first heard it, it really had a big impact on me, and I really liked it. Flawed logic or no, part of the impact was also that I felt it really conveyed a sense of despair and futility with the economy/etc, which is very much something I'm feeling right now. So, didn't see much reason to not like the whole thing. Like I said, the vocals actually added something else that I really liked.

So yeah, maybe some of the disappointment coming because it's not so much new, and didn't add a whole lot from what we'd already heard.

Then again, the "new song smell" wears off of anything pretty quickly, so maybe time tells if people liked it because of the initial shock value, or because of the quality of the material...

Hopefully I don't end up shutting off after like, the entire last portion of the album.

It's awesome :D

Just try it with headphones, sounds massive!

The 1:59 - 2:50 part is just fantastic.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Why does everyone keep insisting they copied and pasted it? You don't say that when you hear a chorus for the second time, or a repeated verse. It's called a hook, repetitiveness is a key element of music.

Yup!

But it'd been better if they have done something different in the end.

:phu:

It has actually something a bit different with the effects. But I see your point... Will probably mess with the effects live, producing something more varied.

Still, this + Survival > The Resistance

Exclude MK Ultra and Exo and I agree!

Loving both already released tracks :D

Archived