What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Sorry if its been posted already but Madness debuted at number 35 in the UK charts :facepalm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

Yeah we knew. Crazy, even Survival did better. Even Sunburn did better. I think physical releases would have got it into the top 20 but no one releases those sorts of sale figures...it certainly did with Uprising that went from 53 to 9.

It is a shame, but have you seen what's first? It's because the majority of the world's population like to listen to a selection of shite noises jumbled together rather than listen to actual music.

Please don't open your mouth on this subject again.

For your own sake.

Muse has sold around 50 million albums worldwide

Aww. I think it's something like 15 million though. :LOL:

It occured to me that Madness would be a really good B-side.

This type of thinking is really weird to me. The single has the best critical response to a Muse song in ages and has their collegues coming out saying it's their best song yet/has restored their faith in British music, and people think Madness is mere b-side material?

Each to their own I guess, but what an odd viewpoint imo.

Madness should climb in the charts considerably in the next few weeks, or Warner have majorly fucked up.

It is a shame, but have you seen what's first? It's because the majority of the world's population like to listen to a selection of shite noises jumbled together rather than listen to actual music.

I think is an incorrect assessment of the songs in the top 20. I think all of them have musical structure rather than being jumbled together, and just because you don't personally like them it does not mean others should not or that the music is of a poor quality. Also, where are you getting your data on with regards to what the "majority of the world's population" likes to listen to? I was not aware that such survey had ever been undertaken.

Since apparently my previous post was too mean.

the majority of the world's population like to listen to

Music.

What kind of music you ask? Well frankly neither you or I know.

a selection of shite noises jumbled together[/Quote]Hold up here for a second. shite noises jumbled together? From what I can tell all the songs on that list that I have heard are standard verse-chorus-verse pop.

rather than listen to actual music.

Please enlighten us on what "actual music" is, since apparently it isn't enough with structure, melody, vocals, lyrics, chords and whatnot.

I know deadmau5 is hated by many here but a lot of his stuff is really really good despite being spaffed over by the stereotypical wankerish teenager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaWZNiuOfU

Minimal is brilliant, chill, material. Although there is what I'd describe as a crescendo of energy in Madness I appreciate the first couple of verses more than a lot of people posting here do (I know a lot of people love the whole song, it just sounds as if most people want the last minute or so to come quicker).

^ Yeah but it's the worst lead single since Muscle Museum chart-wise (and no counting Stockholm Syndrome) and that's not counting the Muscle Museum re-release which got to 25.

I think I red somewhere that had downloads been included in the charts in 2003 then Stockholm Syndrome would've charted at number three.

But yes according to stats the song charted 3 places higher than Resistance did, which is a long fall as a lead single from the figures Uprising and Supermassive Black Hole got.

Does anyone have any idea why do little effort was put in to promote this single? Only now have I noticed things on iTunes/YouTube promoting the new album, perhaps if these had appeared earlier the single would have done better. A lot of my friends who hate muse like the song. I just don't understand why it hasn't done better!

Maybe whatever plans there were got fractured by a combination of the Olympics taking on Survival and change in release date. It is weird. The song is obviously very radio friendly and has received a lot of critical praise, and seems a lot less divisive than Survival.

They haven't even done any real promo. I'm sure they could have got a slot on 'Red or Black' or another TV show if they wanted.

That seems a bit of an unfair assesment considering the slew of interviews that came out in the 20th/some time after. But yes,a major TV appearance would be good. And Warner actually using some ad money/creating PR hype to push the song everywhere.

Muse aren't really about singles and albums any more though, are they? They're sold almost exclusively as a live act - the BEST live act around.

That's their USP. New albums are just a platform for bigger, wilder, more OTT shows - Warner have pushed the live side hard since Muse signed. The band have openly admitted on numerous occasions it was money stumped up by Warner that allowed the shows to get bigger. Plus, it was the label that boosted them up to stadium billing by making them the 'cutting edge' band - first to play Wembley, etc.

Muse are all about touring - they always have been. I can understand why Warner are less inclined to push their recorded stuff (seeing as it probably makes fuck all money) whereas Muse are almost guarenteed to keep selling out massive shows even if they drop a duff album.

Archived