What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Another hint as to the video: the dude posting the riot clips on youtube made a comment early on about Madness the song having 'big drums'. Someone questioned him about it (probably they were thinking like I was, that there was *more* drums/emphasis on drums in a longer version of the song for the video). Actually, the guy posting the video answered with 'imagine a drum 8 foot tall'.

So, yeah.

Dom with an 8 foot tall drum???

Another hint as to the video: the dude posting the riot clips on youtube made a comment early on about Madness the song having 'big drums'. Someone questioned him about it (probably they were thinking like I was, that there was *more* drums/emphasis on drums in a longer version of the song for the video). Actually, the guy posting the video answered with 'imagine a drum 8 foot tall'.

So, yeah.

Dom with an 8 foot tall drum???

I am starting to think that Muse haven't heard Madness yet.

I have to agree, this wasn't really the best choice for a single. Of course, we haven't heard the other album tracks. :LOL:

What is worse, is that there has been next to NO promotion at all from the label. I wouldn't have known this song existed if not for following the website, and it's no wonder it's so low on the charts.

I really haven't listened to the song that much, still. Discussing it with my boyfriend has been a good thing, though. I've noticed things about it that I didn't on my own, and had an easier time letting go of what I "wanted" the song/album to be.

I don't know if it's "growing" on me yet, but I'm starting to feel something for it, which for me is much more important.

And maybe, at the end of the day, I just don't RELATE to the song at all... and maybe that impacted me a lot more than I realized.

If I think about it, I can relate to the lyrics of the song, in that I can think "oh yeah, I know what it feels like to be in love, that you don't necessarily have good control over your actions because it is like a kind of illness really" (if that is what the song is meant to be about, I'm not entirely sure) but I don't really connect to it emotionally. I don't know whether that is because the song doesn't have the right kind of feel. Perhaps it's been messed about with too much and lost something in the process. Or maybe its because, like many others, I haven't experienced the problem of considering whether I should continue a relationship with a Hollywood star, which kind of gets in the way a bit, however much I try to ignore it. It makes it seem a little cheesy and self indulgent, even if it is referring to emotions that we all share, that I know who it is about. I know that it is about a particular celebrity. I don't know how Matt will be able to get round that now tbh.

However, it's a nice song. It's an enjoyable listen. I'm not saying I dislike it. It's just that I don't feel the same connection as I might with some other songs which doesn't actually matter to me. I still like it. I don't have to connect to music to enjoy it. Incidentally I do feel an emotional connection to Unsustainable, I find that powerful and I find IBTY quite powerful in the places, where it is similar vocally and in sentiment to Madness.

Actually sorry I'm going to add to this as I was just thinking about my post. I think it is the feel of it. There's nothing wrong with the feel of it. It feels intimate, soothing, all good, but for me, it doesn't capture what it feels like to be in the position the song is describing. Whereas, for instance, the short vocal in Unsustainable feels spot on to the situation that song is describing.

If I think about it, I can relate to the lyrics of the song, in that I can think "oh yeah, I know what it feels like to be in love, that you don't necessarily have good control over your actions because it is like a kind of illness really" (if that is what the song is meant to be about, I'm not entirely sure) but I don't really connect to it emotionally. I don't know whether that is because the song doesn't have the right kind of feel. Perhaps it's been messed about with too much and lost something in the process. Or maybe its because, like many others, I haven't experienced the problem of considering whether I should continue a relationship with a Hollywood star, which kind of gets in the way a bit, however much I try to ignore it. It makes it seem a little cheesy and self indulgent, even if it is referring to emotions that we all share, that I know who it is about. I know that it is about a particular celebrity. I don't know how Matt will be able to get round that now tbh.

However, it's a nice song. It's an enjoyable listen. I'm not saying I dislike it. It's just that I don't feel the same connection as I might with some other songs which doesn't actually matter to me. I still like it. I don't have to connect to music to enjoy it. Incidentally I do feel an emotional connection to Unsustainable, I find that powerful and I find IBTY quite powerful in the places, where it is similar vocally and in sentiment to Madness.

I get what you mean, I can relate to the lyrics as well but I don't really feel any emotional connection to them. I think it might be because the message the song gives is sort of obvious? Whereas, the lyrics that usually hit me the hardest are the ones that make me think about things in a way I hadn't before. The 'Or is it just madness keeping us afloat?' line gets me a bit but that's all, in this song at least. To be honest, I don't really expect Muse songs to get me emotionally connected to the lyrics anymore. The only time I got that on The Resistance was in Exogenesis Parts 2 and 3. Most of the time, recent Muse lyrics just make me chuckle a bit or roll my eyes :rolleyes: I don't have a problem with that though.

I get what you mean, I can relate to the lyrics as well but I don't really feel any emotional connection to them. I think it might be because the message the song gives is sort of obvious? Whereas, the lyrics that usually hit me the hardest are the ones that make me think about things in a way I hadn't before. The 'Or is it just madness keeping us afloat?' line gets me a bit but that's all, in this song at least. To be honest, I don't really expect Muse songs to get me emotionally connected to the lyrics anymore. The only time I got that on The Resistance was in Exogenesis Parts 2 and 3. Most of the time, recent Muse lyrics just make me chuckle a bit or roll my eyes :rolleyes: I don't have a problem with that though.

Yeah, well I felt quite strongly about some of the songs in The Resistance. Of course Exogenesis is the most emotional on the album, but I also felt there were emotional parts in other songs that worked, Unnatural Selection, Resistance. I also think that when songs produce a feeling of empowerment, or produce a giggle, that is also an emotional connection, and I think The Resistance did that a lot. In fact I think a lot of the songs contain all three emotions in the same song. :chuckle:. But, like you, I wouldn't say I have a problem with songs not producing an emotional connection.

There's very few love songs from Muse I can relate to even a little, and it's a very common subject for them so lack of connection with the lyrics doesn't mean much to me.

There are a few for me which are pretty strong. I can't think at the moment, but Hoodoo comes to mind as an example of a love song which is particularly emotional. And I know this is not a feeling generally shared but I actually find NSC pretty emotional. I suppose the "I need your love" bit in Madness would work out of the context of the rest of the song. I suppose it's the powerful longing in songs that gets me, and I suppose that works in this context as well, but definitely not sexy gasping or anything like that! :LOL:

There's very few love songs from Muse I can relate to even a little, and it's a very common subject for them so lack of connection with the lyrics doesn't mean much to me.

Same here.

Or maybe that's just me having no love life.

There are a few for me which are pretty strong. I can't think at the moment, but Hoodoo comes to mind as an example of a love song which is particularly emotional. And I know this is not a feeling generally shared but I actually find NSC pretty emotional. I suppose the "I need your love" bit in Madness would work out of the context of the rest of the song. I suppose it's the powerful longing in songs that gets me, and I suppose that works in this context as well, but definitely not sexy gasping or anything like that! :LOL:

Hoodoo is a love song?

So far, the Muse love song that I've been emotionally connected to (a lot) would be Falling Away With You.

But of course to bring the thread back to course, I think Madness has simple lyrics really but I think it's Matt's voice that's really putting some emotion (to a certain extent) into the song, especially the last bit. Grips me every time when it reaches the "I need to love" part. :supersad:

So far, the Muse love song that I've been emotionally connected to (a lot) would be Falling Away With You.

But of course to bring the thread back to course, I think Madness has simple lyrics really but I think it's Matt's voice that's really putting some emotion (to a certain extent) into the song, especially the last bit. Grips me every time when it reaches the "I need to love" part. :supersad:

Though not knowing whether it's "need to" or "need your" doesn't really help in identifying with the song. Of course there will be various interpretations of any song in any case, but I find it difficult to identify with a particular sentiment if I am confused about what there is to identify with.

Though not knowing whether it's "need to" or "need your" doesn't really help in identifying with the song. Of course there will be various interpretations of any song in any case, but I find it difficult to identify with a particular sentiment if I am confused about what there is to identify with.

It is 'need to' though. The 'T' is pretty audible.

Archived