What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Muse aren't really about singles and albums any more though, are they? They're sold almost exclusively as a live act - the BEST live act around.

That's their USP. New albums are just a platform for bigger, wilder, more OTT shows - Warner have pushed the live side hard since Muse signed. The band have openly admitted on numerous occasions it was money stumped up by Warner that allowed the shows to get bigger. Plus, it was the label that boosted them up to stadium billing by making them the 'cutting edge' band - first to play Wembley, etc.

Muse are all about touring - they always have been. I can understand why Warner are less inclined to push their recorded stuff (seeing as it probably makes fuck all money) whereas Muse are almost guarenteed to keep selling out massive shows even if they drop a duff album.

You mean to say that you think Muse don't care about chart places and have purposefully not bothered trying to promote the single as they have with albums up until now? I'm not sure that makes any sense. I don't thing being good live is the only thing they have going for them, they still need to sell out stadiums and people have short attention spans if a band isn't making a name for themselves. People don't go to gigs to hear songs that no one has heard, to be honest, as much as we all like to think they'll put Dead Star back into set lists. It's Uprising and KoC that get people going and people don't just know these songs from the previous Muse gig they went to.

I think at least album chart positions do matter. They changed the release date for this reason and "number one album" and "three number one albums" still carry weight.

I think at least album chart positions do matter. They changed the release date for this reason and "number one album" and "three number one albums" still carry weight.

I think Matt in particular has been frank about wanting that #1 US album. I don't get why a label wouldn't want maximum profit on all fronts, anyway.

You mean to say that you think Muse don't care about chart places and have purposefully not bothered trying to promote the single as they have with albums up until now?

No. I just think there is far less emphasis on it now than there was 10 years ago when sales were much much higher and the concept of a 'digital download' or somesuch was far less common.

If they were serious about chart position, etc, they would push it harder. That's undeniable.

But just chucking a single out - no promo bar interviews, no video (yet), no physical release, etc - smacks of less effort being put into releases. I'm not pointing the finger at the band, it's not their job to do these aspects of the promo.

Absolution had two successful singles - Hysteria and TIRO, BH&R had even more in Knights, Starlight, Supermassive and MOTP, The Resistance only really had Uprising - there was barely any effort put into the Resistance/UD releases and that pattern seems to be continuing.

There is, of course, a great deal to be said that the quality of the song makes the difference at the end of the day and that might prove to be so with the T2L singles.

Madness may be the worst song ever written. It makes me want to shoot myself.

:LOL::LOL: Just got this joke.

[]

According to that link that was posted earlier (could have been Niall) it seemed like most of Abso's and BH&R's singles did quite well. I was surprised that B&H did so well.

I know deadmau5 is hated by many here but a lot of his stuff is really really good despite being spaffed over by the stereotypical wankerish teenager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaWZNiuOfU

Minimal is brilliant, chill, material. Although there is what I'd describe as a crescendo of energy in Madness I appreciate the first couple of verses more than a lot of people posting here do (I know a lot of people love the whole song, it just sounds as if most people want the last minute or so to come quicker).

Why would someone hate Deamou5? :(

Even if Muse don't care about chart position (and they probably don't), Warner Bros will. They will most likely be asking questions on the chart performance taking into account the amount of momentum the band has had behind them. No physical release boggles the mind.

Archived