What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

I think if nothing else, what these recent Muse songs has given me, was an opportunity to be a lot more introspective than I've been in years. I'm not completely sure I feel good about that right now.

I always tell people that some music "makes me feel" something deeper, and that often Muse songs "sound like what they are about" - (which is why the lyrics often don't bother me.)

I'm sure I sound like a complete twat when I say these things, and they're unfortunately the kinds of things I can't actually explain.

But it's what I love about art, specifically music, poetry and painting. You can read more into them than they are. Some art of course is a VanGogh, and some is a velvet Elvis...

I don't need to "relate" to what a song's lyrics are about, or even a genre... but by 'relate' I'm trying to put words to a feeling. Much of Muse's music makes me feel something... so why doesn't Madness?

Why does something like Madness leave me mostly bored, while I still sometimes have to sit down when I'm listening to Glorious? Ok... so that's not a fair example. How about Guiding Light? No one likes that song (apparently) but it makes me feel something painful, and yet kind of beautiful when I listen to it.

I don't relate, per se, to the lyrics about a lost relationship, but I 'relate' to the song (GL.)

Survival might be the velvet Elvis...

I think if nothing else, what these recent Muse songs has given me, was an opportunity to be a lot more introspective than I've been in years. I'm not completely sure I feel good about that right now.

I always tell people that some music "makes me feel" something deeper, and that often Muse songs "sound like what they are about" - (which is why the lyrics often don't bother me.)

I'm sure I sound like a complete twat when I say these things, and they're unfortunately the kinds of things I can't actually explain.

But it's what I love about art, specifically music, poetry and painting. You can read more into them than they are. Some art of course is a VanGogh, and some is a velvet Elvis...

I don't need to "relate" to what a song's lyrics are about, or even a genre... but by 'relate' I'm trying to put words to a feeling. Much of Muse's music makes me feel something... so why doesn't Madness?

Why does something like Madness leave me mostly bored, while I still sometimes have to sit down when I'm listening to Glorious? Ok... so that's not a fair example. How about Guiding Light? No one likes that song (apparently) but it makes me feel something painful, and yet kind of beautiful when I listen to it.

I don't relate, per se, to the lyrics about a lost relationship, but I 'relate' to the song (GL.)

Survival might be the velvet Elvis...

I think you are most probably looking into it far too deeply, but since I love to comment :LOL: I think the song feels quite sensual and wholesome which is actually a nice thing. I think it has a nice soothing feel, not boring at all, but it doesn't feel that it is about pain or conflict which is actually not a bad thing. Its nice. :)

You are all wrong. It's "I need true love".

I actually like that a lot...

And it's not just this song I think about too deeply, I'm just at that point in my life. :LOL:

I've had the same job for 15 years, the same relationship for 8 years, and I'm starting to overanalyze the tiniest little things in life.

Probably to break the monotony.

I think it might always be tougher for me to get into the "happy" love songs, versus the ones like Hoodoo, or GL. Even if this one does still contain a lot of doubting, initially. ;)

I actually like that a lot...

And it's not just this song I think about too deeply, I'm just at that point in my life. :LOL:

I've had the same job for 15 years, the same relationship for 8 years, and I'm starting to overanalyze the tiniest little things in life.

Probably to break the monotony.

I think it might always be tougher for me to get into the "happy" love songs, versus the ones like Hoodoo, or GL. Even if this one does still contain a lot of doubting, initially. ;)

There could possibly be interpreted to be a nugget of doubt at the end as well which of course would give the song a bit of realism. Life rarely involves having all the answers about what is best for us and what we should do.

Yeah. But the "true love" bit does make it much more: :'(

Actually... if you assume the "r" in true isn't enunciated, it COULD be...

With the way things don't seem to sound like what they are in this song, it could be anything. :LOL:

I find that lyric incredibly touching, and I'm going with it.

Oh God... I listened to the song one too many times today now... The rotating hum from my AC unit sounds like it's saying "ma-ma-ma-ma-ma"...

So about 8 hours a day, then?

Yeah that sounds about right actually considering I was working 8 hours a day. Take away the half hour for lunch away and replace it with listening to only that track on the drive home.

Looks like my math wasn't wrong after all was it?

Archived