What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

So, it's confirmed. Madness will be their first real single from The 2nd Law.

An electronic cross between 'I Want To Break Free' and 'Faith'.

"You've had a fight with your girlfriend and she goes off to her mum's house for the day and you're on your own going: "What did I say?"" says Matt, describing the song's inspiration. "I'm sure a lot of blokes have that experience in the early stages of relationships where you go: "Yeah, she's right, isn't she?".

A calm, sweet and languid song that is surprising to find so early in the tracklist.

Electro arrangements are obviously drawing from Depeche Mode, similar to Undisclosed Desires from The Resistance.

Lyrics

"...is it my love or is it just madness..." "...some kind of madness taking control..." "...seen the light..." "...what you need..."

Discuss.

EDIT: It's supposed to sound like this: http://youtubedoubler.com/4CO7

So...who cares what it's about? Matt knows what he's doing with lyrics, more or less, and can make "what a song's about" generic enough that you can interpret the words to mean what you want.

That said, from reading that interview, it seems that this album is going to be a bit more about interpersonal communication that mass communication. I get the sense there will be more "I/You" lyrics than "We/Us". I'm probably wrong, but it would be nice for him to go back to that style of writing.

Apparently, it's about little arguments between Matt and Kate

JFC.

Well, I guess Matt said in that interview that's it's just about fighting when you're in a relationship kinda stuff. Hopefully not as shallow as NME wrote it out to be.

Yeh I'm looking forward to the more personal side of this album, especially chris' songs. I think if there is one thing muse lack for me it's songs on simple, personal matters. I think that's why I love escape so much, not that I have experienced it myself but I can hear what Matt is trying to say about what he went through, through the music and pure emotion. I can understand that and connect with it far easier than topics of world crisis and politics.

So yeh, I look forward to the family/baby songs and madness sounds interesting :happy:

Edit: I got from the interview that Matt fell out with Kate who went back to her mums and he went to grovel. Sounds like teenage angst to me :chuckle:

Archived