And never mind just how good songs like madness are live. That song was incredible, much better live than I expected. Im sorry...but if you want them to play a different set entirely every gig, you want a different line up with songs they've likely not practised or played in years, then you ARE asking for too much. This gig was amazing, seeing Sunburn live was...phenomenal and I personally think this was the strongest set from this tour so far.

Didnt hear that one at the time. Will have to check YouTube

Edit : found it, right near the end of the song

What did people think to the joy formidable? Felt like they played the same song for 30 minutes and how mardy was she "this is a song from our second album, yes we've got a fucking first one too its all fucking new to you lot" or something along them lines

think it was like "this is a song off the new album, but it's all fucking new to you guys"

didn't know if she was being funny or like you said, mardy.

if she was trying to be funny it didn't go down well with the people around me.

I managed to get hold of a ticket at the last minute and so glad I did because seeing this tour once just wasn't enough for me. I was at the side of the stage, (Chris's side and initially I was the only one in my block who stood up and promptly sat back down again.:LOL: I was mortified, like, "fuck, am I going to have to sit down for the whole gig!?" Felt pretty weird. But luckily, I think at SMBH :chuckle: the audience in my block started to loosen up and get into it. :D I think it was when Matt came round to our side, which he did quite a lot, which was brilliant! He he made a effort to get the audience into it. :D The visuals aren't quite as striking from the side, as you don't see the full lighting affects, and you're more aware of the glass barrier (to stop Matt falling off) but it was a better position for seeing the band. :happy:

I thoroughly enjoyed the setlist on the second night of the O2 but was very pleased to get the alternative setlist, with Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome and Sunburn. It's great to be treated to both versions and I don't remember hearing Sunburn live before. It sounds fantastic live. :D

I agree with the previous poster that Madness sounds great live, more than you would expect hearing it on record. The videos add a lot to it as well I think, but my chief highlight, I think, is Follow Me. I don't care that it was mixed by Nero, or that Matt doesn't have a guitar, I just love the song and there's something extra special about the performances of it. Plus the visuals are beautiful. Second major highlight is Survival as last song. Wow! :D Knights is fantastic, I love Knights, but it has finished for so long and Survival is equally immense.

Anyway great gig, and I think I probably have the best photos I've ever taken as well. :D

Hopefully I might continue to feel satisfied now because I really can't go again.

Just adding in response to previous post. I didn't think that much of Joy Formidable. They were okay, heavy, but not that interesting. I suppose I like a good melody, and I wasn't encouraged to buy any of their music. I always feel a bit sorry for support bands, but I am afraid I didn't warm to them. Maybe it was because I hadn't heard them enough, well I heard two half live sets. Well I got the impression they were pissed off by the lacklustre audience response. Though I think it might have been a pointless use of the word "fucking" for effect which went down like a lead balloon.

think it was like "this is a song off the new album, but it's all fucking new to you guys"

didn't know if she was being funny or like you said, mardy.

if she was trying to be funny it didn't go down well with the people around me.

I heard this too. It was "we've just released our second album and this next one is a new song but hey, its all fucking new to you anyway". Being honest, I LIKED them up until that point then I just thought they were pathetic. I get that its frustrating when you get little response but that wasn't a good way of handling it.

at first I thought she was just acknowledging that they're a bit unheard of but the swearing made her sound so moody!

I just found them annoying after that, with their last song dragging on and on.

liked their very first song though.

already can't wait to see muse again, if they play wembley again I will definitely try to go.

I wonder how Muse were when they supported larger bands. I can't actually remember that they did that, well apart from U2 recently, but I suppose they must have done.

I suppose they wouldn't have become frustrated while supporting U2 as they were a huge band so had that confidence. So that doesn't really count, apart from the fact that it was humble of Muse.

Maybe they didn't get a lacklustre response in the past as they were actually good!

Best fucking gig of my life. That beat the roundhouse. 2nd time I heard sunburn this week as well, my joint favourite muse song.

Awesome queue - Birmingham's fucking fun, they have geese! And the security were AWESOME. Big up Kevin. I was 16th, and easily made my usual spot on the barrier.

It was amazing; I had lots of banter with Chris like with the other gigs.... He looked at my spot as soon as he came on and made a funny face at me when he saw I was there :awesome: He even did my clicky thing back at me during survival :D He gave me the harmonica and said see you at Manchester and winked! I'm not going to Manchester though :(

Matt also gave me and my friend the Mic during starlight and we tried our best to sing in time :facepalm: During UD matt took my furry hat I wear to every muse gig! He gave it back though :p

Dom gave my friend his stick because Chris said to him 'give it to them' and pointed at us, and as he did Dom nodded at me, and I tried to give him the hat and he said 'no its yours!' So I kept it in the end after all that.... Dom was tempted... I think he wanted me to keep it so he could recognise me? Idk.

After the first encore (uprising and knights) I just looked around and realised I was actually in heaven. Honestly, with awesome people and with an awesome band... Mhmhmhmhmhhhhmm. it didn't feel real. Shed a tear more than once that gig... It was my 6th muse gig and I dont think it's ever been as emotional as that one. Maybe Reading 2011 with OOS.

I filmed Sunburn from the barrier and made sure not to 'sing' along this time!

What I like most about you Jamie is your uninhibited enthusiasm and unashamed 'fanboyism'. Don't lose it - it's lovely :D If I'd known sooner that you didn't have a ticket for Manc I would have given you mine (as I'm ill and not going :( ) It's not standing but rear view though - that would have been a surprise for Chris to have you sneak up behind him :chuckle:

What I like most about you Jamie is your uninhibited enthusiasm and unashamed 'fanboyism'. Don't lose it - it's lovely :D If I'd known sooner that you didn't have a ticket for Manc I would have given you mine (as I'm ill and not going :( ) It's not standing but rear view though - that would have been a surprise for Chris to have you sneak up behind him :chuckle:

just look at my under title ;)

And nawwh! I wanna gooo :( but there'd be no way of me getting there as I spent all my money on the London shows and Birmingham!

I made the effort to listen to The Joy Formidable once I knew they were supporting so I enjoyed their set and kudos to any support band who trash their gear at the end, but even knowing most of the tracks, they were a bit samey, every song going for the "wall of noise" feel. They were clearly pissed at the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd, the bass player pointedly yawning at one point, but they should be grateful for the opportunity to play such a big venue/crowd and support such an awesome band. In response to Carrie B, I think in the past, apart from U2, Muse have supported Feeder, Depeche Mode, (Gene maybe a long time ago?) and the Chilli Peppers, plus others probably.

Just checked Musewiki out of interest - they have also supported Skunk Anansie, Bush and for one gig, Ash. Funny how things turn around.

I was pretty close to the front so you'd think people would be a bit more enthusiastic, even though it's just for the support act, but literally everyone apart from one person was just standing completely still when The Joy Formidable played. She did sound pretty pissed off!

I listened to some of their stuff beforehand and i didn't like it much, but I thought they were good live, although they did go on a bit after songs, it sounded the same each time!

It's a shame I didn't enjoy this as much as I could: we were much further back than normal, so got stuck with the dull crowd - they were just non-moving for pretty much the whole night. Even during songs which usually demand that the whole crowd jumps or claps etc, they were dead. Crowds really do determine your enjoyment of a show, I find, but the band's performance was top, as ever. Learnt my lesson there anyhows: no standing any further than 20-or-so rows from the front: I like being part of the energetic crew - there's just no point standing otherwise, imo.

Having you both as barrier buddies was amazing.. Such a good laugh queuing and inside.. Birmingham, SECC, Montpellier and the roundhouse were incredible shows.

And I eventually got a special setlist from Manchester. Happy days!

Having you both as barrier buddies was amazing.. Such a good laugh queuing and inside.. Birmingham, SECC, Montpellier and the roundhouse were incredible shows.

And I eventually got a special setlist from Manchester. Happy days!

Nice work Lee! And yes, you were a laugh when you weren't trying to 'fudge' us youngun's ;)

Creep :p

I was passing back as far as I could, usually about 2 rows behind me, its difficult though when everyone is gasping for it and there's so little to go around. I definitely tried. Thanks to whoever the guy was next to me too (was jealous of me for having gone to the RAH gig) for always making sure my girlfriend had water. Mega props to you sir.

Were you on matt's side by any chance? :)

I was passing back as far as I could, usually about 2 rows behind me, its difficult though when everyone is gasping for it and there's so little to go around. I definitely tried. Thanks to whoever the guy was next to me too (was jealous of me for having gone to the RAH gig) for always making sure my girlfriend had water. Mega props to you sir.

Been offline (moved house) so a bit late to reply. There were a couple of people trying hard to pass water back to us - if one of them was you then thanks :) I drank an ocean when I left the gig and then felt really sick :LOL:

I wish I had gone to another gig after this one! Didn't realise how bad the cravings would get to go to another muse gig so soon :p will definetly be going to atleast 2 next year!

Awww, I thought this thread was dead already...I feel the same as you - serious withdrawal.

Archived