117 members have voted

1. 1. Most Under-rated track?

• Escape
    • Exo-Politics
    • Screenager
    • Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
    • Bliss, actually heh
    • Other (please specify)

Now I think Feeling Good is Muse's most underrated song these days.

Nah, I think Feeling Good's pretty fairly rated. General consensus seems to be that it's a good/great cover that just doesn't fit in amazingly with the rest of the album and sucks major arse live.

The Origin era performances looked very good. I assume Absolution would have been fun to but it disappeared in that tour.

Yeah, the Origin performances are the only ones I've heard that do the beef of the studio version justice. There's a few knocking around from the Abso era and even they pale in comparison imo.

Eternally Missed.

They've only played it live twice and that was before it was even recorded. It's a great song, full of ambition, one of they're most powerful tracks. I can't stop listening the live version anyway, "Rusty One"

Edited by Red Muse

I'd also like to give Fillip a shout. Ain't a lyrical masterpiece (though what Muse song is) but I will be DAMNED if it isn't fun as hell and a highlight of any pro-shot it's in. Goood, I hope one of them stumbles across a video of it and decides to bring it back.

• 1 month later...

I'm honestly not sure whether Hoodoo is underrated or not, I debate it with myself a fair bit. Most people who know it seem to agree that it's brilliant and I've seen that lyric be lauded as Matt's best since I became a Muse fan. But then, at the same time, I feel like I don't really see it in that many top 10s so idk.

Been thinking about overrated vs underrated stuff over the last couple of days so I present you mankind's greatest creation, arbitrary opinion lists:

Screenager

Hate This & I'll Love You

Ruled By Secrecy

Con-Science

Forced In

I Belong To You

Recess

Invincible

Fillip

Revolt

Exogenesis

MK Ultra

Glorious

Agitated

Futurism

Citizen Erased

Dead Star

The Handler

Falling Away With You

Sing For Absolution

I'm honestly not sure whether Hoodoo is underrated or not, I debate it with myself a fair bit. Most people who know it seem to agree that it's brilliant and I've seen that lyric be lauded as Matt's best since I became a Muse fan. But then, at the same time, I feel like I don't really see it in that many top 10s so idk.

Been thinking about overrated vs underrated stuff over the last couple of days so I present you mankind's greatest creation, arbitrary opinion lists:

Screenager

Hate This & I'll Love You

Ruled By Secrecy

Con-Science

Forced In

I Belong To You

Recess

Invincible

Fillip

Revolt

Exogenesis

MK Ultra

Glorious

Agitated

Futurism

Citizen Erased

Dead Star

The Handler

Falling Away With You

Sing For Absolution

Agree with you on:

Screenager

I Belong to You

Invincible

Revolt

Falling Away with You

They are generally named Muse's worst song(s), and I highly disagree - they are low-key masterpieces.

I don't think Exogenesis, MK Ultra, Glorious, Citizen Erased (:eek: really?) and The Handler are underrated at all – in fact, they are named some of Muse's best songs (which I sometimes agree with), so they're rightly rated.

(Exogenesis - SFA was my overrated list)

As much as people do rave about Exo, CE and DS in particular, I don't really feel that they're overrated so much as it's just worthy praise for them.

And I'm sure Clunge will agree with you on Glorious being overrated :LOL:

I think Revolt is the most overrated song on this board. There are a fair few people who think it's listenable.

I also would say on here that Take a Bow, Megalomania, Reapers and Showbiz are slightly overrated (whilst all being good songs).

For me the most underrated are Eternally Missed, The Small Print, City of Delusion and most of Hullabaloo.

Yeah, the Origin performances are the only ones I've heard that do the beef of the studio version justice. There's a few knocking around from the Abso era and even they pale in comparison imo.

What about the 06-08 performances with the effects pedal? They were pretty awesome, but then they cut the songs balls off during The Resistance tour.

• 2 years later...

Spiral Static (big time) and Unintended are new features in my list for this. SS is one of those that I’ve just casually slept on for a decade before realise “oh shit it’s actually maybe one of their best songs”. Unintended also maybe gets written off a bit ‘cos it’s old and a really conventional ballad but the sentiment and vocals are gorgeous.

• Like 1

Blackout

the guitar-version. I have to admit when I bought Absolution back in the days, I used to skip this song 😒 

But later I found live versions and was hooked straight away! Reading older topics here, people got annoyed when Matt was lying down instead of working his guitar and I totally understand this „anger“. Recently nobody is talking about Blackout which is a shame, I would love to see it coming back 😎

Edited by Claudia O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

To Muse fans, the list could go on quite a while. There are really very few Muse songs that don't have die hard fans, frankly I'm hard pressed to think of one I haven't seen lauded as a classic by someone on here. In my eyes....probably Falling Away With You. I feel like I see it get the short end of the stick a lot but it's a top 3 track from Absolution for me, no question.

By the world at large? Anything not named Madness, Uprising, Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Knights Of Cydonia, Time Is Running Out, Hysteria, or Plug In Baby. Muse is in such a weird but kind of ideal spot with commercial success. They can sell out arenas, have a massive global fanbase that will always buy their new albums, and they've had multiple charting hits and at least one Billboard number 1 record. That said, most people I meet aren't really aware they have more than one or two songs (though which songs those are depends on who I'm talking to). Muse isn't really a household name, despite having earned plenty of commercial success and always putting on some of the most spectacular live shows in the world. To me that comes down to two things: lack of consistent critical favor, and lack of a followup smash hit after Madness. By the former, Muse doesn't get that extra push from critics which helps less commercially successful bands maintain a high reputation, and can help to bring in new fans (for example, Fantano is notoriously unimpressed with Muse in general, though he does like TR). By the latter, Muse didn't cement their place in the singles charts by capitalizing on the success of Madness, which I believe is still their highest charting single. So to many casual listeners, they might appear like a flash in the pan or one-hit wonder, despite the reality being very different. They had a steady build-up over many years to that commercial breakthrough, but didn't stay on the charts. To me this is a near perfect recipe for Muse to be just plain underrated as a band. Okay maybe in 10-20 years people will look back on T2L and ST and think it's all a bit too silly, but they hopefully also look back on that run from Showbiz through BH&R or TR and think "wow, there's a band that really stands out after all this time and still sounds relevant!" Drones could go either way I suppose. I love it, but I know it gets a lot of criticism for being kind of heavy handed and half baked.

FAWY was one of the more requested live songs from people like us before...T2L I think? Just below stuff like MM, CE, Dead Star, etc. I was shocked when it wasn’t voted in at SBE ‘cos of how much people went on about getting it played live for years. Think the main drive of that was it being the only album track that’d never been played though, as opposed to quality, so maybe as we got more and more of those (Cross-Pol, Redemption for a time, Big Freeze, Aftermath) it lost its significance.

• Like 1