Yeah, that's exactly what happened with Glastonbury. People confuse lying with things not turning out how they expected.

Sadly, seems this is going to happen again with Reading, we all know that high expectations leads to big disappointments :p

this.

plus im already seeing lots of people saying they are going to play b-sides and rarities (and then go on citing as possibilities songs from all albums and not just OOS lol) and that is not what was said in the actual interview.

and then when it doesnt happen they will say that it is the band that lied..

Plus there's such thing as changing minds.
... or plans that simply dont work out for whatever reason.

Rambling time:

Okay, so after reading the article fully, I'm a lot less freaked about the potential of no OoS songs. I think what they're mainly trying to do is pay homage to their past selves with an album that changed their careers and they know a lot of their older fans adore/want to hear more of, and it's just very timely.

The gigs themselves sound like they'll be absolutely fucking epic!!!! :D :D I'm SOOOO insanely excited about the prospect of b-sides and ALL of the songs on OoS are fucking fantastic anyway (Yes, that includes FG - the studio version is brill, imo :phu:), so whatever we get will be amazing! And the pitchforks stage design?! :pope::stongue: Holy fecking Shizzle!! It can't really get any better! For me, OoS is the pinnacle of not only Muse's finest work, but just one of the best albums I've ever heard. I don't care if people think it's overrated - to me, there are hardly any albums out there that match it.

What I DO find upsetting is that Matt seemed to hammer home the fact that these shows will mark a period of transition not only for them musically in terms of the next album, but live, too. It's sad to think that they're pretty much abandoning their earlier stuff after these shows; the fact that he calls it 'drawing a line' on their careers seems like they just want to step away from what they were after these gigs are over. It's almost as if they sat down and said 'Right, we'll do these epic rare/b-side/OoS gigs to please the nagging oldies and then that's it - that's all they're getting.' Part of it feels like a way of shutting up the moaning fans (and there's a lot of us!)

Anywaaaay, I'll stop yammering. Ultimately, while some of it is sad news, I can't FUCKING WAIT for what will clearly be the best nights of my existence! I never thought I'd see the day when we were pretty much guaranteed to get a set full of our favourite oldie songs from this epic album - it's my dream gig come true, srsly!! :D

I'd like to see it as Muse giving older songs they know they won't be playing again for whatever reason an emotional and significant send-off. Maybe they thought that in 10-20 years time, when they've finished and look back on their careers, they don't want to see how certain special or significant songs died at a random gig because one day they didn't feeel like playing it and never did again. So instead of letting them die with a whimper, they decided to give them all a big send off. They knew they had these gigs coming up and it would be the anniversary of OoS, and realised they had a perfect opportunity to give some classic songs a proper viking funeral, and send them off in a blaze of glorry, before moving on and starting a new phase in their careers, without being burdened by songs like Showbiz and Micro Cuts, which they know are important and brilliant, but can't get into the setlist anymore. No one will complain if Matt doesn't reach all the notes in those two at Leeds/Reading, they'll understand it won't be easy for him to do it, I'm sure if they play them and he can't do it, he'll be let off for at least trying one last time.

As for drawing a line under one phase of their career, that's pottentially worrying considering BH&R and TR arn't as good as OoS and Abso, but we don't know what's going to happen with the next album, or any albums after that, so I'll take it as them being ambitious and basically saying, "that was us, but we've had enough of being at that level, now we want to take it further." It could turn out bad, it could turn out well, but at least they're making the effort to push themselves. Didn't Dom say something about this being more like an old-style show, without the pomp and the drama? Maybe after this they'll realise they pushed it too far (I think he admitted that to a degree as well) and bring themselves back down to earth a little. They'll still have that in their back cataloque, they'll still go down as a pioniering live act, but they reached the limit of what can be done without hurting the performance, so now it's time to be more 'normal'. They can still bring out the UFOs and light up suits for the stadiums, but for 'normal' gigs, go back to doing what gave them their reputation in the first place.

I really can't wait, it's going to be rather special! :D

No one will complain if Matt doesn't reach all the notes in those two at Leeds/Reading, they'll understand it won't be easy for him to do it, I'm sure if they play them and he can't do it, he'll be let off for at least trying one last time.

You can be 100% sure that Matt won't do it unless he feels comfortable with it. He's such a perfectionist. I'm very sure he can do it but it takes alot more effort than before and I really hope he'll take the effort this one last time. Maybe he can find his 'lost' MM-pedal for this occasion aswell :p

Can we not get dragged down in the depths of despair just yet?

I agree. Please, let's not. This is the best gig news we've had in a while.

It makes no sense at all to build the stage that looks like the cover of Origin, and then play a set of 16 hit singles from other albums, like what they've been doing. It feels quite reasonable to assume that they are going to play things from OoS that haven't been played in a long time. I don't think we'll get the whole album, but we will get something special.

Given Muse's recent track record, even the fact that they have considered a special event to celebrate the album's 10 years, gives me lots of hope for Reading. Whatever happens, this will be 100% better than one of my gigs last year (fucking Phoenix AZ)

I agree. Please, let's not. This is the best gig news we've had in a while.

It makes no sense at all to build the stage that looks like the cover of Origin, and then play a set of 16 hit singles from other albums, like what they've been doing. It feels quite reasonable to assume that they are going to play things from OoS that haven't been played in a long time. I don't think we'll get the whole album, but we will get something special.

Given Muse's recent track record, even the fact that they have considered a special event to celebrate the album's 10 years, gives me lots of hope for Reading. Whatever happens, this will be 100% better than one of my gigs last year (fucking Phoenix AZ)

Worst gig of my life. I feel rage bubbling inside me every time I think of it lol.

Exactly, why build the stage etc to play the staples. It'd be silly.

I'm intrigued as to why they have removed the OoS artwork though...?

Worst gig of my life. I feel rage bubbling inside me every time I think of it lol.

Exactly, why build the stage etc to play the staples. It'd be silly.

I'm intrigued as to why they have removed the OoS artwork though...?

I was just browsing the site and looking for artwork. Hmmmm....

At least the announcement in the news section didn't change, it still clearly mentions Origin's anniversary and says all that other good stuff we got so excited about.

"One way or another, those gigs will have some kind of impact on the new record. We could end up drawing a line, or reminding ourselves of how to start again."

I think this quote from the interview sums up alot.

Either they'll decide they want to continue changing the way they sound or they'll come back to basics, which is what Matt seems quite intent on doing at the moment.

"With the next one, i want to incorporate a bit more of the live show onto the record. On the last couple of albums, it's felt as though we've been pushing the boundries outside of what we do live."

What he says there is a little different to what he's said about what he wants for the new album before, but he's still implying the same thing.

He wants to pull it back a bit, make a record that will be more for live performance than anything else. Which brings me to think that it may be more rock-ish. Or, with Matt's other statements, it will be electronic rock. I'm fine with that, if they can pull it off as well as they did with MotP.

Anyway, they'll still play things from OOS. Of course they will. I'm thinking they'll just make a final comeback with the songs that they haven't played in years anyway. It makes sense.

And yeah, they might have the newer-not-so-great songs on the setlist after this, but then we'll have the new album to think about. Either the new album will be great and will make the setlists good, or the album will be like TR and we'll all be pissed.

Either way, it all depends on the decision they make after the gigs and when they start the new album.

Will they scale it back and start fresh?

Or will they keep going the way they're going now?

Its not unusual for bands to tour an old album.. I'm going to watch Roger Waters do The Wall in June...

Basically, Muse have such a large back catalogue they simply cannot play everything and the more new stuff they do the less chance the older stuff has of geting an airing.

I feel this will be a fitting tribute to a brilliant album... and the thought of some OoS era B Sides makes me feel sick with excitement.

Bring it on!

:D

I still can't decide to if i should get a ticket.... :unsure: if my expectations are low, i won't go. I've been disappointed by them before.

Although, in general, your opinion is a very good opinion to take. :D

same with me, i have the doubts

i remember they were saying "we'll might try out new songs at V festival" and all we got was Who Knows Who playback :eek:

"One way or another, those gigs will have some kind of impact on the new record. We could end up drawing a line, or reminding ourselves of how to start again."

I think this quote from the interview sums up alot.

Either they'll decide they want to continue changing the way they sound or they'll come back to basics, which is what Matt seems quite intent on doing at the moment.

to me the best music around is built upon the premise of keeping it simple (KIS) not over complicating things.. you can sometimes overdo the production of music, all the gloss and flair takes away from the raw edgy sounds.. but ultimately it depends on what sounds you want.. there is nothing wrong with having a polished sounding record.

Archived