I think it is :phu:

It's a grower. Listen some more.

Well, when I say it's not a good song... I mean I think it's great! But compared to other songs Muse could play from there, like Shrinking Universe, or even Ashamed, I don't know if it would be the best choice. Personal preference I s'pose. :)

Well, when I say it's not a good song... I mean I think it's great! But compared to other songs Muse could play from there, like Shrinking Universe, or even Ashamed, I don't know if it would be the best choice. Personal preference I s'pose. :)

I love them but I don't think they'd be good choices either. A little bit too rare and random and not their best work.

I love them but I don't think they'd be good choices either. A little bit too rare and random and not their best work.

Yeah, you're probably right! Most of the crowd wouldn't know what it was. With Yes Please you could still have a mosh, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad an idea. :p

I think they're saying goodbye to OOS.

It's same for me really. I do like both old and new. At moment TR more.

This is what gets me down :(

I don't want them to say goodbye to their best work - it's just sad and unnecessary. They barely play these songs anyway, but at least before we could have some distant, teeny, tiny ray of hope that they might get played at some point in the future. Saying 'this is it, we'll never play them again' is just shit, quite frankly.

Shrinking Universe is so their best work.

:yesey::D

Sorry, but I'd piss myself with excitement at that!

The epic outro might end up being some sort of insane medley, tbh. Or it'll be one song (I'm thinking along the lines of Bliss) with shitloads of riffs from b-sides and other songs.

I think Dead Star's pretty much a given, as are Space Dementia and even Micro Cuts. They've played them fairly recently and they're all of the era at least, so it wouldn't make sense to exclude them from an OoS-heavy setlist!

Assassin would be fucking mental but highly unlikely. But what a closer that would make :\mm/:

The 'proper rock out' could just be instrumental riff..

If it's what I think it is... they'll cram as many songs as they can from OoS and B-Sides into the main set and close out with Stockholm Syndrome or KoC followed by a massive riff session that's full of the riffs from the songs they didn't play.

The 'proper rock out' could just be instrumental riff..

If it's what I think it is... they'll cram as many songs as they can from OoS and B-Sides into the main set and close out with Stockholm Syndrome or KoC followed by a massive riff session that's full of the riffs from the songs they didn't play.

Before Matt smashes his guitar into Dom's drumkit because it's their last live gig till the next album's released. :D

plus im already seeing lots of people saying they are going to play b-sides and rarities (and then go on citing as possibilities songs from all albums and not just OOS lol) and that is not what was said in the actual interview.

and then when it doesnt happen they will say that it is the band that lied.

Yep. People take a few general-sounding comments about a gig that is still months away and inflate them to the size of Texas. Then when these things don't happen, wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues. Rewind, repeat.

I just don't think that they'll abandon many of their usual staples, considering that they're playing at a festival and not to their own fans.

. I think Dead Star's pretty much a given, as are Space Dementia and even Micro Cuts. They've played them fairly recently and they're all of the era at least, so it wouldn't make sense to exclude them from an OoS-heavy setlist!:

For the love of God I hope you're right.

Yep. People take a few general-sounding comments about a gig that is still months away and inflate them to the size of Texas. Then when these things don't happen, wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues. Rewind, repeat.

I just don't think that they'll abandon many of their usual staples, considering that they're playing at a festival and not to their own fans.

Yeah, but they've said a couple of times now that they plan on playing OoS era songs, they posted it in NME, so lots of people, people that could be going to Reading would read. What i'm saying is that it's not like you turn up to a festival without any idea about the headliners, when Reading/Leeds goers visit the Muse site they will find the OoS news and if they read NME then they will know. So fuck the MCR twatfaces and play Deadstar and Shrinking Universe :p

this.

plus im already seeing lots of people saying they are going to play b-sides and rarities (and then go on citing as possibilities songs from all albums and not just OOS lol) and that is not what was said in the actual interview.

and then when it doesnt happen they will say that it is the band that lied..

... or plans that simply dont work out for whatever reason.

Yeah! It's obvious what's going to happen now if Muse don't play a gig of rarities. :LOL: Why isn't that obvious?:erm:

I have been wondering how they are going to fit in this celebration. I reckon it will be Plug in Baby, Feeling Good, Bliss and CE and maybe one, two at the most they haven't played for a while (more likely one) as they're still going to have to fit in regulars. Its better not to build stuff up too much.

If they did something like this from last night:

1. Plug in Baby

2. Resistance

3. Time is Running Out

4. Uprising

5. United States of Eurasia

6. Starlight

7. Take a Bow intro + Stockholm Syndrome + Negative Creep riff + Endless Nameless riff

8. Man with a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

Add in SMBH and Undisclosed, and they've still got five slots (?) which could be OoS so it would still be OoS heavy like they have said.

My thoughts exactly, but at least reading people moaning to hell it's really entertaining :LOL:

Yeah! It's obvious what's going to happen now if Muse don't play a gig of rarities. :LOL: Why isn't that obvious?:erm:

I have been wondering how they are going to fit in this celebration. I reckon it will be Plug in Baby, Feeling Good, Bliss and CE and maybe one, two at the most they haven't played for a while (more likely one) as they're still going to have to fit in regulars. Its better not to build stuff up too much.

If they did something like this from last night:

1. Plug in Baby

2. Resistance

3. Time is Running Out

4. Uprising

5. United States of Eurasia

6. Starlight

7. Take a Bow intro + Stockholm Syndrome + Negative Creep riff + Endless Nameless riff

8. Man with a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia

Add in SMBH and Undisclosed, and they've still got five slots (?) which could be OoS so it would still be OoS heavy like they have said.

For once, I disagree. Why do they HAVE to play their regulars? It's not a tour show. These are one-offs - they're free to do what they like. Just because it's a festival, doesn't mean they have to please the general fans. They've chosen to mark the anniversary of their second album at these shows instead of having their own gigs - maybe it's cheaper or something, but either way that, to me, doesn't mean they can't play a majority (at LEAST half) set of rarities.

I'm not saying they won't play Anything other than OoS or older songs, but they've pretty much committed to saying they'll give us something different - as in, not the usual 'let's play our best hits cos everyone knows them' vanilla gig!

Fine, they may not have specifically said 'we'll play b-sides', but it's a given that people will jump to those conclusions cos they mentioned 'one-offs' and, to be frank, they've hyped up these gigs themselves. Going on about the fact that they're revisiting the past and want to celebrate the last 10 years with a retrospective set (that may not be verbatim, but it's the gist of what they're saying) is reason enough to get people excited about the prospect of something different.

It's inevitable that loads of people will pick out the key things that sound most promising in the interview and let their minds wander. That's what being a Muse fan generally does to most of us, lol!

These statements alone make me think these gigs will be beyond incredible:

Chris: "we've kind of stopped touring 'The Resistance' now, and we felt that if we were going to do these shows, we wanted to make it something unique."

"we were talking for a while about doing some sort of B-sides set, or playing stuff that we haven't played for a long time. There are a lot of older songs that never get a look in."

About the production: "We're going to take it as far as we can. We're going to push the boundaries of what's possible at a festival."

Matt: "it'll be like coming full-circle: we've gone off on one a little bit, and now it feels like the right time to really pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were actually doin 10 years ago."

"this is a real one-off. It's probably the last time some of these songs will ever be played live again, to be honest."

Dom: "We want to do something special, so this feels like a real one-off."

"it feels right to celebrate the things we've achieved over the last 10 years."

These could just be all a bunch of meaningless statements, but if they don't deliver, they run the risk of alienating a whole bunch of fans. Yeah, they can always get new fans, and losing a few of us lot moaning won't put a dent in their careers, but it'll drive away a hardcore fanbase that would have lost respect for them. If they don't care about that, then fine, lol.

However, to me, it sounds like they're finally doing something for us older fans and celebrating the Muse of old, not just pleasing the general wave of fans in the crowd that will know their hits and most-recent tracks. Please let us enjoy that fact, cos we're never gonna get something like this again. :)

END RANT!

For once, I disagree. Why do they HAVE to play their regulars? It's not a tour show. These are one-offs - they're free to do what they like. Just because it's a festival, doesn't mean they have to please the general fans. They've chosen to mark the anniversary of their second album at these shows instead of having their own gigs - maybe it's cheaper or something, but either way that, to me, doesn't mean they can't play a majority (at LEAST half) set of rarities.

I'm not saying they won't play Anything other than OoS or older songs, but they've pretty much committed to saying they'll give us something different - as in, not the usual 'let's play our best hits cos everyone knows them' vanilla gig!

Fine, they may not have specifically said 'we'll play b-sides', but it's a given that people will jump to those conclusions cos they mentioned 'one-offs' and, to be frank, they've hyped up these gigs themselves. Going on about the fact that they're revisiting the past and want to celebrate the last 10 years with a retrospective set (that may not be verbatim, but it's the gist of what they're saying) is reason enough to get people excited about the prospect of something different.

It's inevitable that loads of people will pick out the key things that sound most promising in the interview and let their minds wander. That's what being a Muse fan generally does to most of us, lol!

These statements alone make me think these gigs will be beyond incredible:

Chris: "we've kind of stopped touring 'The Resistance' now, and we felt that if we were going to do these shows, we wanted to make it something unique."

"we were talking for a while about doing some sort of B-sides set, or playing stuff that we haven't played for a long time. There are a lot of older songs that never get a look in."

About the production: "We're going to take it as far as we can. We're going to push the boundaries of what's possible at a festival."

Matt: "it'll be like coming full-circle: we've gone off on one a little bit, and now it feels like the right time to really pull it back and remind ourselves of what we were actually doin 10 years ago."

"this is a real one-off. It's probably the last time some of these songs will ever be played live again, to be honest."

Dom: "We want to do something special, so this feels like a real one-off."

"it feels right to celebrate the things we've achieved over the last 10 years."

These could just be all a bunch of meaningless statements, but if they don't deliver, they run the risk of alienating a whole bunch of fans. Yeah, they can always get new fans, and losing a few of us lot moaning won't put a dent in their careers, but it'll drive away a hardcore fanbase that would have lost respect for them. If they don't care about that, then fine, lol.

However, to me, it sounds like they're finally doing something for us older fans and celebrating the Muse of old, not just pleasing the general wave of fans in the crowd that will know their hits and most-recent tracks. Please let us enjoy that fact, cos we're never gonna get something like this again. :)

END RANT!

Okay, fair enough, you've made quite a good argument there. But it sounds like you are already potentially holding Muse to account over some ambiguous comments because your interpretation is that this is a gig for older fans. They didn't actually say that.

There are other interpretations. When Chris says:

"We felt that if we were going to do these shows we wanted to make it something unique. We were talking for a while about doing some sort of b sides or playing stuff that we haven't played for a while".

All of that is in past tense. It is what they were thinking.

And then Matt

"Well we realised that it's been 10 years ..."

That was their decision at the end of their thinking - to celebrate OoS which replaced what Chris said.

And when Dom says: "It seems right to celebrate the things we have achieved over the last ten years"

That means every album since Showbiz which is what they do anyway.

Dom: "Every gig is unique in it's own way".

Their definition of unique might be different to some fans' definition of unique.

I'm sure they want to do something special for this and I reckon it is going to be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it, and I don't care if I'm proved wrong and they play a whole gig of rarities, but the fact that some of the interpretation might be exaggerated is potentially right, because this happens every time.

Muse promise something special, and produce what is in their minds special, like the Edge performing with them at Glastonbury (it was obvious how genuinely touched they were by that) but it wasn't good enough in relation to what some fans have built up in their minds because of comments Dom made before they had made a decision on what they would do, so a bit of reservation isn't a bad thing, in my mind.

If fans want to build up fantasies or jump to conclusions then fair enough, it's up to them, but then it's better they are aware they are doing that so they don't bring everyone else down afterwards if what they have built up in their minds doesn't work out for them.

I think that a gig with the guys' favourites from the last 10 years plus additional OoS songs will be fantastic. You're right they might not necessarily feel they need to stick to singles, and good for them, but what they think are the best songs, aren't necessarily going to be the same as the fan favourites. Also when they do these interviews they aren't necessarily directing them at diehard fans.

They have said they want it to be different from Wembley though, and since Wembley, over the two gigs, included quite a few songs which weren't performed as standard, it's going to be very exciting finding out what that difference will be. :D

Sorry if these comments have been made before. I haven't read every comment.

I remember actually saying to a friend that Muse are slowly redeeming themselves song by song during the MKU -> MotP -> Bliss string of songs at Wembley after reading the 10th's lackluster setlist.

In retrospect, that was good, but this has soooo much awesome potential.

Aw man, I can't stop riding the reading hype train, I'm gonna need Denzel Washington to approach behind on a train of similar speed to attemp slowing me down. If anyone gets the reference, then you know too much and i love you.

:LOL: totally watched that movie last night :D

Okay, fair enough, you've made quite a good argument there. But it sounds like you are already potentially holding Muse to account over some ambiguous comments because your interpretation is that this is a gig for older fans. They didn't actually say that.

"We felt that if we were going to do these shows we wanted to make it something unique. We were talking for a while about doing some sort of b sides or playing stuff that we haven't played for a while".

And then Matt

That was their decision at the end of their thinking - to celebrate OoS which replaced what Chris said.

And when Dom says: "It seems right to celebrate the things we have achieved over the last ten years"

Their definition of unique might be different to some fans' definition of unique.

I'm sure they want to do something special for this and I reckon it is going to be fantastic. I'm really looking forward to it, and I don't care if I'm proved wrong and they play a whole gig of rarities, but the fact that some of the interpretation might be exaggerated is potentially right, because this happens every time.

Muse promise something special, and produce what is in their minds special, like the Edge performing with them at Glastonbury (it was obvious how genuinely touched they were by that) but it wasn't good enough in relation to what some fans have built up in their minds because of comments Dom made before they had made a decision on what they would do, so a bit of reservation isn't a bad thing, in my mind.

If fans want to build up fantasies or jump to conclusions then fair enough, it's up to them, but then it's better they are aware they are doing that so they don't bring everyone else down afterwards if what they have built up in their minds doesn't work out for them.

I think that a gig with the guys' favourites from the last 10 years plus additional OoS songs will be fantastic. You're right they might not necessarily feel they need to stick to singles, and good for them, but what they think are the best songs, aren't necessarily going to be the same as the fan favourites. Also when they do these interviews they aren't necessarily directing them at diehard fans.

They have said they want it to be different from Wembley though, and since Wembley, over the two gigs, included quite a few songs which weren't performed as standard, it's going to be very exciting finding out what that difference will be. :D

Well put :yesey:

All I'll say is; the sheer amount of disappointment if this turns out to be a complete fraud (like the setlist polls) will most likely be enough to take Doris down for good.

I just hope by "Origin of Symmetry gig" they don't mean Plug in Baby, New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erased and Feeling Good

And then Matt

Firstly, I don't want this to be some in-depth nit-picking of the exact words they said in the interview and what it could potentially mean. The points I highlighted were examples of just how much they hammered home the fact that they're intending to do something special and one-off - exactly the opposite of what their last tour delivered, to be honest. I don't get the whole past tense thing at all - If they said 'we were', sorry but it's bollocks to assume we're all gonna go 'oh, so it's not gonna be different at all, then, cos they're talking in past tense!'

Secondly, any band who throw out 'general' comments about playing older songs, especially with a fanbase as touchy as Muse's over their choice of live songs, should be aware that a potential backlash could come out of it if they don't deliver. They shouldn't say things if they don't intend to follow through with them. What's the fecking point? Again, they might not have SPECIFICALLY said they'll play b-sides etc, but they've made it crystal clear they want this to be different and have definitely alluded to the fact that they'll play older songs, at least from OoS. It's Not The Resistance tour.

I think we have a right to get our hopes up when we're presented with our fave band saying 'here's a show celebrating OoS that'll be a 'real one-off' and 'unique'. We also have a right to get bloody pissed off if they then simply come out and play the same old fucking set after all that :LOL:.

I'm not saying they're directing anything at the diehard fans in interviews either - they were asked questions, they've given the answers - every fan, from the casual to the hardcore is going to have a view on it.

I see what you're saying about not getting our hopes up if it doesn't live up to each individual's standard of what these gigs will be - they simply can't please everyone - but I don't think it's fair to say that if we're simply taking what they've said on face value, which is:

OoS songs will be played;

They're doing something different from their past tour;

They're celebrating their songs spanning the past decade.

It might not be each fan's dream setlist, but we expect what they said we should expect - a few older songs for once!

Yeah but I just can't see them playing any other Origin songs

I was just thinking that if there were to be doubts of Muse playing Hyper music, it'd be down to Matt's voice but then again they played Cave fairly recently and he didn't seem to have too much of a problem reaching the high notes so I'm sure that Hyper Music is a very strong possibility.

Songs like Screenager and Darkshines would be ones I'd least expect to hear and maybe even Megalomania because it was such a special one-off at the RAH gig.

Micro Cuts they have to play because I am yet to witness such painfully loud beautiful falsetto :p

Firstly, I don't want this to be some in-depth nit-picking of the exact words they said in the interview and what it could potentially mean. The points I highlighted were examples of just how much they hammered home the fact that they're intending to do something special and one-off - exactly the opposite of what their last tour delivered, to be honest. I don't get the whole past tense thing at all - If they said 'we were', sorry but it's bollocks to assume we're all gonna go 'oh, so it's not gonna be different at all, then, cos they're talking in past tense!'

I think what Carrie meant was that quote from Chris was basically saying "we were considering doing a b-sides show but scrapped that and decided to do this instead". Hence, we shouldn't expect a shit-load of b-sides at R/L/. That's the way I took it too.

Archived