I have to agree with you about there not being one stand out track like there have been on past albums (Showbiz: Showbiz, OoS: CE, Absolution: TiRO, BHaR: KoC). I do, however, think that this album is better than the sum of its parts. :)

MK ULTRA, Uprising, any of the Exogenesis? If I had to pick one for TR, It would be Uprising.

I have to agree with you about there not being one stand out track like there have been on past albums (Showbiz: Showbiz, OoS: CE, Absolution: TiRO, BHaR: KoC). I do, however, think that this album is better than the sum of its parts. :)

How is TIRO a stand out track?

I would go for SS or B&H.

Almost been a complete year.

I still think it's kinda average which was my initial first impression (even though it changed a few times throughout the year). The first five tracks, barring Uprising, don't do much for me. The album definitely starts to pick up around Unnatural Selection, but once you reach Exo-Genesis Part 2 it starts to lose its momentum.

Overall, a decent album, but I would probably tie it with Showbiz as my least favorite Muse album.

it's weird how nobody on this board seems to give a flying fu*k about matt's amazing vocalls on The Resistance which is a great improvement comparing to some of the his (already good) vocalls on showbiz/origin/abso.btw i loved The Resistance when it came out,the diversity of the album was amazing IMO and the only song that i wasn't too keen on was USOE which somewhat grew on me later,so yeah loved it and still loving it.

8.8/10

1.Absolution/Black Holes and Revelations

2.The Resistance/Origin of Symmetry

3.Showbiz

My first impression was that it beat every single album I had ever listened to. Unnatural Selection was bone chilling and I Belong To You was out of this galaxy. A year after, I still find it to be the freshest Muse album, the second best of their discography after Absolution. USoE still has a stunning effect on me, as does Exogenesis.

it's weird how nobody on this board seems to give a flying fu*c about matt's amazing vocalls on The Resistance which is a great improvement comparing to some of the his (already good) vocalls on showbiz/origin/abso.btw i loved The Resistance when it came out,the diversity of the album was amazing IMO and the only song that i wasn't too keen on was USOE which somewhat grew on me later,so yeah loved it and still loving it.

8.8/10

1.Absolution/Black Holes and Revelations

2.The Resistance/Origin of Symmetry

3.Showbiz

I was really pleased with his vocals on The Resistance too. Most complain about the lack of falsetto, but in the studio recordings of Uprising, USoE and US there are some really high notes being hit. His voice sounds a lot better compared to Showbiz where it sounded whiny a bit. It's now a lot more matured and his lows sound great as well as his highs. :matt:

I was really pleased with his vocals on The Resistance too. Most complain about the lack of falsetto, but in the studio recordings of Uprising, USoE and US there are some really high notes being hit. His voice sounds a lot better compared to Showbiz where it sounded whiny a bit. It's now a lot more matured and his lows sound great as well as his highs. :matt:

I really like his voice too, it has become a lot better since BH&R, despite the loss of a bit range.

I get my temporary driving permit on TR's birthday... :LOL:

Anyway, I like it. I prefer Showbiz, OoS, and Absolution, but if this is how Muse wants to sound now, I'm fine with it. I still jam to all of the songs just as much as the other albums.

I guess the main reason I don't like it as much is that to me, the lyrics just aren't as powerful as in other songs (besides Exo).

i pretty much like The Resistance. yeah its not even close to OOS or Absolution, but its got some good moment, i think i might be the only person in here who LIKE Guiding Light. :LOL:

heres the full songlist for me

Uprising:

its a good song, but i do occasionally skip it, because it gets boring after a little while. but its a really cool song, and i cant help but love the vocals on the chorus, and the guitar "solo"

Resistance:

i dont really care what anyone says, Resistance is infact a pretty good song. i dont really think it lacks "Museyness." i like this song and i can listen to it all the time when it comes on (i still skip the annoying start with loads of sounds...)

Undisclosed Desires:

you know, this is one of those songs that im REALLY disappointed in the fans about. when this song first came out, ALOT and i mean, ALOT of musers went "I HATE IT OMG MATT HAS CHANGED IM NEVER GONNA LISTEN TO MUSE AGAIN I HATE IT!!"

that REALLY pissed me off. and resulted in me not bothering speaking to alot of musers for a while

but all in all, UD is a fucking catchy song. i dont care how mainstream or commercial it is i love it :LOL:

say what you want, UD is a great song

United States Of Eurasia:

alot of muse fans were also abit harsh on this song, but then again, not as harsh as they were on UD.

"this song reminds me of queen"

....have you forgotten how people start making music?

Inspirational source > receiver > Idea

theres nothign wrong in inspirations.

this song is fucking great, i really love the "euraa SIAAA!" part. i dont care how strange it is, its fucking awesome!!!!

its a really epic song

Guiding Light:

well, i guess i see why people don't like this song

i love it, but thats because i like cheesy poprock ballads :p

i love the guitars in this song, and the entire spaceyness of the entire song

the guitar solo... well, i do like it, but Matt has a shit guitar technique, so he's excused for mucking it up :p

Unnatural Selection:

what can you say about this song? it has Muse riffage, it has cheesy lyrics, and a really awesome bridge to the chorus. the riff is going to make Wembley crush itself this weekend!

and the middle section, yeah, its slow, its cheesy, but we fucking love it!

MK Ultra:

Check it out. you'll jizz. 'nuff said

I Belong To You (Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta testiclés):

i guess... the chorus is abit catchy when he goes "i can't find the words to say" then it just falls to pieces.

its cheesy. needz moar cheez.

....+ to Mr. Matthew Bellamy for wrong pronounciation

Exogenesis:

this is what we've all been waiting for for years

and it didnt disappoint me.

when overture first comes on, i have to listen to the entire thing

Overture:

gives me chills when it starts off.

i didnt really expect falsetto vocals on this one, but i dont mind, it sounds amazing, and the spaceyness of it just adds to it.

you could listen to this in the dark and just lose yourself in the music, thats how good it is.

Cross-Pollination:

the Piano intro builds up to something very Matthew Bellamy like, untill it crashes down, which disappoints me abit.

but when it goes off, it makes you shiver.

yeah, it gets cheesy after a while, but cheesy is good. not too cheesy, like i belong to ratmeat.

Redemption:

i do like this part, its a worthy ending to the entire symphony. yeah.. it does miss something, but its worth it.

all in all, i think its a good album.. but like i said, its nowhere close to OOS or Absolution..

mind you, these are only my opinions, and most reviews are shit and based on personal opinions. this is just what i think about the album. im not saying you HAVE to listen to it :p

i'd give it a 7/10

Last year, September 14th - The resistance

This year, september 14th - Halo Reach. haha.

It sure hasn't aged well.

I remember hearing uprising for the first, man that was a rush. I do love that song

I have grown to hate Resistance (song)

UD is quite boring but my girlfriend just started to love it only recently

I never liked USoE, not a single day.

Guiding Light is the worst muse song ever

Unnatural selection is really tame (boring) on the album, but great live.

Mk Ultra is still fucking awesome and I hope they do more of this

I belong to you is gross

Exogenesis is obviously perfect.

Well, I'll go song by song:

"Uprising" - One year on, I still enjoy it, even if it got really overplayed. Getting to fist pump to it at a concert was fun. Also, since I picked up a copy of the album on LP vinyl record, playing this opener is awesome on my sound system with bass boost.

"Resistance" - Love at first listen. THIS song has stuck with me through out the past year and on days when I need to wake up early in the morning, this song's chorus is my alarm. I near melted hearing it live. There is something about this song that just struck a personal chord with me lyric wise (secret love, "it could be wrong, but it could've been right") and the drums and bass kick ass on it.

"Undisclosed Desires" - Didn't really care for this song until I heard it live. Hearing it live made me take a second look at it, and I enjoy it a lot more now than I did before.

"United States of Eurasia" - I like this song, but I really love the "arabesque" bit in it. I think the song needed more Middle Eastern style flair in it.

"Guiding Light" - Let's just say I like the guitar solo.

"Unnatural Selection" - "I'm hungry for some onions" "We're not chocolates in the ocean" A song I enjoy, but the boards forever ruined for me. :D;)

"MK Ultra" - I think THIS song is what The Resistance is conceptually all about, but failed to hit. I love this song and think it's actually the best song on the album. Something about the way Matt sings "a universe is trapped inside a tear" makes my spine tingle.

"I Belong To You" - I just don't care for this song at all. It just doesn't fit in. I think The Resistance would have flowed better if it was cut and the album just moved from "MK Ultra" into "Exogenesis: Symphony".

"Exogenesis: Symphony" - Didn't really care for it at first, but grew to like it over time. It's really something that needs to be listened to as a whole piece to appreciate. I just wish Matt's words were more understandable in "Overture".

Yeah, those are some of my thoughts. I think the album is good, but lacks the structure that Muse's other albums have. Showbiz, Origin Of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations have a coherent structure that sounds good. The Resistance, for the most part, lacks any logical progression from song to song.

I'd probably rate the album an 8.9 out of 10.

I'll also follow the trend of 'song by song' analysing :p

Uprising - this song had to grow on me and it did! At first, I found it a bit dull and I put it in the bin with average Muse songs. Now I think it's one of the best off the album AND it was delightful as an opener, got the crowd really pumped up!

Resistance - it seems a bit patched up to me. Although, it has a few highlights: drumming, the bass, eerie beginning/ending, vocals and the climax in the end RESIIIIIISSSTAAAANCE :awesome:

Undisclosed Desires - I'm not sure about this one. I've seen it live and it was a bit boring. And one song of this kind is enough on an album. But on the other hand, I like the pizzicato strings and background vocals on the last chorus :D

USoE - at the first listen, I immediately thought of Queen and 'We Are The Champions' because of that thundering sudden burst during the 'when there can be only one' that sounded the same as in Queen's 'I've had my share of sand kicked in my face but I've come through'. I've gone over it and been liking it ever since. And it's immense live :awesome:

Guiding Light - Like Death_of_Me, let's just say I like the solo. Alright, I like the vocals too :p

US: finally the comeback of the good old rock. I quite like it. The middle slow part is :awesome:

MKU: 'tis an outstanding song, I like it on the whole. And I think I agree with the fellow Muser above me that this song is the point 'The Resistance' aimed to hit but failed. It ended up being an album with good songs but all of them came from a different story.

IBTY: I really can't see why people can't find in their hearts to like this song :D I think it's highly amusing and virtuoso at the same time, it features the best vocals on the album in my opinion and I like the piano and the clarinet solo is FANTASTIC :happy:

Exogenesis - I always consider these three as one piece and it's enjoyable. Beautifully done, the spacey first part, the second part with the astounding piano and the touching third part. I adore the rock and classical music united :awesome:

In conclusion, I think it's a good album with its flaws. It's like they were trying to search for the direction they'd like to take so they tried everything. I still like some of their other albums better :p

EDIT: god it's a long post :facepalm:

more edit: I'd rate it 8 out of 10.

I like it, but I like it because it's Muse. The only song out of the lot that's a genuine long term success is MK Ultra.

Uprising - simple glam song. doesn't age well. lacks invention

Resistance - they said TSP was too lover boy. a catchy tune and a good song but again, ruins the mood with the "could be wrong" stuff.

Undisclosed - Depeche Mode rip off. Good live, I admit, but a bit repetitive.

USoE - a stonking tune, I really like it, but it's not serious and just strikes me as a b-side

Guiding Light - soppy as fuck. the new Invincible. yawn.

Unnatural - beefy but no progression

MK Ultra - finally, a good tune. nice and haunting and rock. play it more often

I Belong - :facepalm: Another b-side.

Exogenesis - nice to hear something like it but only works if the album maintains a solid theme/genre. shame, because it works nicely, if a little short lived.

Uprising - Simple and catchy. A winning formula for sales and fans!

Resistance - Good intro and outro but never really gets going until about 10 seconds before the outro starts.

Undisclosed Desires - Interesting and different but gets a bit dull after a while and not very good live.

United States of Eurasia - Over the top, bombastic, Muse in a nutshell...and quite a good song too even with it's obvious Queen influence.

Guiding Light - Boring drums, boring lyrics, boring everything. DULL. DULL. DULL.

Unnatural Selection - Causes one hell of a racket, good rocking tune and good live!

MK Ultra - Best song on the album by far, they should really take this direction further! Brilliant!

I Belong To You - A catchy, bouncy bit of fun and the French section is hilarious.

Exogenesis - They tried...and it works quite well, enjoyable to listen to.

Overall: 6/10

When The Resistance was first released a year ago, i thought it was thier best album, but after having a year to listen to it, i really think it is a poor album to be honest, it's a bit like Origin of Symmetry, good at the start and progressively gets worse.

1 year ago

9/10

Now

5/10

Archived