I think The Resistance is the only album where most of the songs sound better recorded than live, unfortunately. Uprising is quite good live, as are Unnatural Selection and USOE. As much as I love MK Ultra, though, I think its live performance is lacking that little spark that would put it over the top. I've seen it twice, and for some reason it felt...flat. And I hate to say that, since it's by far my favorite song off of the album.

I used to like Resistance much more than I do now; it's horrible on record and worse live. UD is actually okay on the CD, but it's yawn-inducing when Matt faffs around on the keytar. And Overture sucks, especially as an opener. Overall, I don't love the album, but I do like the MK-US-IBTY-Exo string. It just doesn't compare to BH&R's back half.

Maybe because it's being played in a half step lower tuning live (and sounds better for it)? :p

I'm between "awesome Queen references" and "what the hell was Matt thinking" :LOL: It's still a great album despite the fact it's maybe Muse's worst.

I agree with that . I wouldn't say it's the worst album but it's not the best.

Seems like Resistance has aged very badly among Musers. Anyone else think it's still one of the better tracks on the album? (Except for I could be wrong of course)

I think the album doesn't seemed to have aged well although I do still like Resistance.However I liked it more when I first heard the album.

When it was first released, I loved every song. Now it's had some time to settle in, the weakest tracks on TR, for me, are Resistance and GL. Resistance is OK but the pre-chorus and chorus let it down. It's also quite repetitive and gets boring. GL, while enjoyable, is kind of soppy and it's not the cheese that I dislike, but how it brings the.. mood? of the album down. It can also get quite boring and as song, it's quite dull. However, I can still listen to these two songs and I don't skip them entirely.

MK Ultra

Unnatural Selection

Overture

Uprising

Undisclosed Desires

Cross Pollination

I Belong to You

Redemption

USOE

Guiding Light

Resistance

Overall: 7.5/10

I think a lot of people liked Resistance when it first came out because the itunes clip of it was awful and the actual song starts so atmospherically. However having heard it live and it being exposed as a single has highlighted to me just how weak it is and how awful the pre chorus and chorus are

Seems like Resistance has aged very badly among Musers. Anyone else think it's still one of the better tracks on the album? (Except for I could be wrong of course)

Me!

But Mozza has a point. The preview made it sound like it was going to be pretty bad, so people set their expectations low and ended up liking it after all. I still like it as much as I did then though.

On first listen of resistance I loved it. Probably because of the euphoira around a new album. I would have given it an 9/10.

After a good few listens, i realised that each song was becoming increasingly boring.

Now, i can barely listen to it with vomiting all over myself (ott obviously). Just not what muse is about for me, and all the resistance songs live apart from unnatural selection are terrible

Uprising- Is a good song but I would prefer other openers in there tour (like fury or dead star)

Resistance- Boring song, chorus is horrific.

undisclosed desires- Dont like it anymore, terrible pop song.

usoe- One of the better songs on the resistance, really like it

guiding light- Muse's second worst song ever created (only beaten by nsc)

unnatural selection- really like this song, a hint of muse's past.

mk ultra- Enjoy this song

ibty- terrible

exogensis- probably my favourite part of the album, really good. Just let down by the rest really....

Resistance is nothing in comparsion to absolution/orgin

It goes for me

Orgin

Absolution

Showbiz

bhar

resistance

I think a lot of people liked Resistance when it first came out because the itunes clip of it was awful and the actual song starts so atmospherically. However having heard it live and it being exposed as a single has highlighted to me just how weak it is and how awful the pre chorus and chorus are

Nailed it in one. A song that with the buildup, outro and instrumentation in parts could have been something spectacular but the chorus and prechorus are just dreadful.

Getting into the album at first was really exciting (it was the first album I had waited for as I only started listening to them mid-BHaR era) and I’d bang on about it to anyone who’d listen to me/put up with a forced listening of the album. I even thought it would replace OOS as my personal favourite, but in the end it didn’t have the same kinda magic for me. It’s still good though and it got my mum into them so that’s nice. I also think it’s better than a lot of the rubbish that gets called music these days- Muse at least try to do something different and interesting.

Uprising: When I first heard this I nearly cried because I thought Muse has lost their soul, but I now I regularly “Oi!” along with it. Actually I’ve had a few non-Musers tell me that this helped them through dark times so it must have some sort of life in it.

Resistance: I like. “Love is our resistance”- it’s pretty inspiring.

UD: I like the lyrics, I like the slap bass (actually makes me think of Seinfeld), I wish someone would write something this lovely for me, but when finding this is a lot of people's intro to Muse, I sigh wistfully, though I suppose one must think that at least it’s something.

USoE: Um, this is one of the best songs they’ve ever done. Full stop.

GL: Still think it sounds like an 80’s power ballad, but I listen to it when no one’s watching.

US: The only thing I like about this is the GOBe setout.

MK: This took quite a while to grow on me, but I rather enjoy it now.

IBTY: Also one of the best songs they’ve ever done.

Exo (all): I love the Overture, it was haunting and beautiful. The rest kinda fell flat.

NSC: :S I’m not going to even go there.

Also just like to say because I started listening only after they’d toured Australia in 2007 my first Muse concerts were this year and I have to say that they have been INCREDIBLE. There’s been alot of comments about the setlists and the flatness of the show yada yada yada, and to a point that maybe be true for people who’ve been to 14 000 of their gigs and I don’t know what the shows of the “old days” were like, but for one who’s only seen them twice I am just happy to be there. I was at the Milan gig and that went off like a firecracker, and can’t wait for the Australian tour at the end of the year. Maybe one day when I've been to 14 000 of their gigs my opinion will differ ;)

I quite like Guiding Light.

Right, now that's out the way.

I can never give a definitive answer to a rating on this album. I drift between 'Muse moods' all the time. Basically, at times I feel like the raw Muse, and I listen to OoS and Showbiz, and at other times, I love Absolution and BHaR (those two albums are two different moods) and all related b-sides. Also, live performances drop in too. If I'm in OoS or Showbiz, I listen to Hullabaloo. Abso, I put on Glasto 04 or Earls Court 04. But the most common mood I get stuck in is TR. I listen to The Resistance, love it, and don't want to listen to any other album. I love this album- If I'm in the mood. Its sort of a mood for Muse's more 'mature' music. Then, I just click on ToaDA or something and my mood changes. It goes like that. I like my Muse moods. I'm in TR mood and have been for a while. I'm hoping I will be for Wembley. Though I'll accidently get in an OoS mood or something and not enjoy the gig.

My rank of most common Muse moods-

1. The Resistance

2. Origin Of Symmetry

3. Absolution

4. Black Holes & Revelations

5. Showbiz

That isn't an order of favourite album, it's an order of how often the stated album is my favourite album.

And then, to complicate it, I'm either in a Muse mood or an Other Bands mood. I either listen to only Muse, or only other bands (Kasabian, Coldplay, Keane, etc). And I don't listen to the other at all.

If you feel suitably mindfucked, please do take a break, make yourself a nice mug of steaming cocoa.

i like UD live.

I think that The Resistance is a very good record but a lot of people wanted an OoS II, and that's definately not what we got! But saying that I love nearly all the tracks on it, and Exogenesis is the best :D

Overture

MK Ultra

Cross Pollination

Undisclosed Desires

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

United States of Eurasia

Redemption

I Belong To You

Resistance

Guiding Light

all in all i thought it was great when it came out and my opinion hasn't changed :)

I don't know where everyone got the quote or idea that people were hoping for an "OOS II" :erm: I just wanted a good album...

It's been thrown around ever since people went off BHaR because OOS is consistently rated as the favourite Muse album on this board and so the negativity towards BHaR and now The Resistance must be because everyone wanted OOS II rather than the recent albums just being not as good as the first 3. Absolution is also very popular on here and that isn't OOS II either so the argument falls down. Sensible progression would have been nice instead of these 'pic'n'mix' albums we've had since 2006.

When I first heard The Resistance I pretty much loved all the songs and it was tied with Absolution as my second favorite. Now its at a solid third place and there are a few songs that Im not fond of. I love the last half of the album, expect IBTY, MK and Exo 2 being my favorites.

It's been thrown around ever since people went off BHaR because OOS is consistently rated as the favourite Muse album on this board and so the negativity towards BHaR and now The Resistance must be because everyone wanted OOS II rather than the recent albums just being not as good as the first 3. Absolution is also very popular on here and that isn't OOS II either so the argument falls down. Sensible progression would have been nice instead of these 'pic'n'mix' albums we've had since 2006.

To be fair, there are some people who genuinely want them to go backwards. And I think that's a shame.

To be fair, there are some people who genuinely want them to go backwards. And I think that's a shame.

i dont want them to go backwards, but maybe they should make a bit darker stuff not cheesy stuff^^ i mean i also like the classic stuff like USoE and exo but neutron star collision and UD? meehh...i dont know

in my opinion exogenesis could also be on OoS...dark and hunting, absolutely my taste^^

Originally I despised Undisclosed Desires, Guiding Light, and I Belong To You, and thought Exogenesis was underwhelming. My favorites were United States of Eurasia and Unnatural Selection originally.

Since, I've grown to like it a lot more. Always though Uprising was fine, nothing great but still catchy. Always liked Resistance, lyrics may be cheesy but I love how it sounds and the intro and everything. Its easy to listen to. Still don't like Undisclosed Desires. Still love United States of Eurasia. I don't hate Guiding Light anymore. Its not great but its not awful and its listenable. I still like US but not near as much as I used to. MK Ultra is probably my favorite on the album now. IBTY's lyrics still suck hard but its listenable. Its a stupid fun song and I dont skip it anymore. And I now absolutely love the Symphony.

I'd call 5 great songs (MK Ultra, Exogenesis, United States), 3 good/decent songs (Uprising, Resistance, and Unnatural Selection), to ok/meh songs (IBTY and Guiding Light), and one bad song (Undisclosed Desires)

So overall good album. Not my favorite or anything but its fine for what it is

Originally I disliked Uprising, loved Resistance, thought UD was interesting, didn't know what to make of USOE, liked GL, thought US was alright, I over estimated MK (those fucking thirty second previews :LOL: ) but still liked it and I thought IBTY was awesome, but it did make me cringe and that Exogenesis was amazing.

Tbh the first time I listened to the album I was blown away- probably more by the symphony than anything else but there was something so diverse and refreshing about it- it still sounded like Muse to me.

Now a year on I don't like Uprising (but I can appreciate it more having seen it live). Resistance I overplayed until it lost some meaning- now I still love the intro and how it just seems so haunting but just too much cheese for a song that didn't need it imo. UD I can't really listen to now. USOE is one of my faves off the album and I think it's one of Muse's best. GL- not really a fan, US I love live but the studio version lost something for me. MK- love it now. IBTY is also one of my faves- it's cheesy done right imo- it just makes me so happy :happy:

And I still love Exogenesis but Part 2 never really appealed as much to me as 1 and 3.

So yeah originally I did love the album as a whole unit, although not every individual song and these days I appreciate some of the songs but I have problems with the singles and GL. And while I don't think it's Muse's best work there is something beautiful about the entire album and I can appreciate it in it's own light.

The good stuff on there is crazy good, and the bad stuff is quite bad :LOL:

For me it's not an album I can play over and over and over- maybe it's because imo it's just a bit too much?

Absolution is also very popular on here and that isn't OOS II either so the argument falls down.

Well, the change in sound between OOS and Absolution was IMO not anywhere as drastic as the change between Absolution and BHaR. So it's not really surprising that many fans who loved OOS would also go for Absolution.

Archived