I think that The Resistance has aged worse than any other album by Muse. I can listen to Showbiz, OOS, Absolution and BHaR all day long: they are great albums and even after 3 years of listening to their albums incessantly I am never going to get tired of listening to them through to completion. YES EVEN EXO-POLITICS!!!

The Resistance era started so well with the treasure hunt and USoE which, on first listen, I thought was a masterpiece. Then Uprising came and my first thought was "WTF they covered Hung Up a little bit". It's now my favourite track from the album: especially live, it's amazing. Even on Friday night at Teignmouth it sounded awesome.

What we shouldn't lose sight of is that this is, even if Matt wouldn't admit it to Zane Lowe last year, mostly a concept album. It is a lyrical and musical statement about all of the themes of 1984 basically: love and fighting oppression from a corrupt and overbearing governmental machine. The problem is that I had just finished reading 1984 as the album came out. The two fitted together and I thought The Resistance would be a masterpiece.

But one year on, if you were to ask me to listen to the album whole way through I'd have to skip tracks 3 and 5 and, on a bad day, probably EXO. It's a clunky end to the album and should really have been released separately: in my mind that album is 8 songs and the long-awaited symphony, not one whole album.

The response from fans at Glastonbury is probably most indicative of how the GP took The Resistance. Those first four songs were amazing, then GL came on and everyone around me - apart from the one superfan in front of me who had flown from West coast USA to get to see Muse - was like WTF? I actually heard someone say "they have to put a few crap songs in the middle to make the ending seem epic" during UD.

Ask me in another year, because I had a phase of BHaR hating about years ago and now it's on a par with Abso for me. Things go in and out of vogue: I may rediscover my love for TR, but at the moment I'm not a massive fan of it in comparison to Muse's back catalogue. It's still by far one of the best albums I've bought in the last few years; maybe that's a sad indictment of current music.

The whole thing, even the artworks were tacky from square one.....the music too. The lyrics? Especially. United States seemed promising, but then by the time Moscow or Asia was unlocked, you know the part I mean, hopes were put down with a huge slap in the face, a ''errrrmmmm the whole album can't be this bad....'' people pulled the wool over the eyes come the release day and tried to talk about the few highlights of the album. Also, why was Exo never played in full? They can play part 1, and part 2/3 are far simpler than Part 1 or say... butterflies and hurricanes, only some strings arrangements in there....not a full orchestra. Oh yes, no full orchestra, lame, hyped it beyond belief.

Green Day went that way, Linkin Park went that way, older bands that have to keep up with the likes of other newer bands in the charts, the pie is only so big, not everyone will get a slice of that pie, unless they change dramatically.

How many songs on average are rock tunes these days in the Top10? Virtually none. One will come along every so often but thats all. They are a purely commercial venture now don't you realise?

I first heard TR at christmas 09, i fell in love with it, and i still love it as my favorite!

Uprising-epic every time i hear it!

Resistance-love the track and a good video montage too

undisclosed-yep very mainstream i know, and it works as both mainstream and musestream

USoE-really good promotion and i think its up there in great tracks!

Guiding light - 50/50, love the solo!

Unnatural selection-nothing like newborn to me, great live song too

mkultra. - one of the best. Fact

ibty - a bit iffy, but i like the french bit

exo 1 - cool

exo 2 - gets better throughout

exo 3 - one of the best muse pieces

there.

Resistance was actually the first ever album I heard by Muse, and I loved it to bits, especially Uprising, undisclosed desires and Mk ultra, as they were all feel-good songs (in my opinion) that were just a bit of fun. But then I got BHaR, Absolution and started listening to songs from Showbiz, and I started to see that the Resistance was actually extremely diverse to their original material... and a lot more of the resistance was about love and stuff, or so 'i' think. In BHaR, they're more fun and well, I hate to say this but can't think of another word - groovy, in Absolution, which in my opinion is their best album, definitely rocking out a bit more... my kind of thing :D I mean, hats off to Muse cos didn't they do the songs by themselves on the Resistance? Anyway, here's how I rate them...

Uprising - 8/10

Resistance - 6.5/10

USoE - 7/10

Guiding light - 6/10

US - 8/10

MK ultra - 8/10

IBTY - hmmm 7/10

E1 - 7/10

E2 - 7.5/10

E3 - 8/10

So yeah, juust average, not incredible, but worth listening to... and just so y'know, most of the songs on absolution I'd rate about 8/10, some even 9. And Bliss from OOS is definitely 10.

WELL!! What a year it's been!!! I'm due to see them LIVE on Saturday :D so have bobbed on here to get into the spirit of things.....

TR came out a few days after my dad died, and whenever I listen to it it takes me back to that time which was an odd time as you can imagine!

Having said that, I loved Resistance when it came out, and I STILL LOVE IT!!!

I LOVE MK Ultra... and I'm kinda hoping that I FINALLY get to experience it LIVE on Sat in MAD-CHESTER!!!! :-D My home town.... I also love TR, USofE, US, IBTY (fantastic song, makes me dance) EXO 1,2 & 3, ....Uprising is GREAT LIVE.

In reality I usually skip a couple of songs on all Mus'es albums - even on OOS and Absolution, so it's not too much of a surprise nor dissapointment to find that I casually skip GL and UD... I mean ""MER"" just about sums them both up! No disrespect to MB n Co - they just aren't my cup of tea!!!!

See you on Saturday guys..... I'm still waiting patiently for SHOWBIZ.... :LOL:

LOVE MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE!!!:D

It sounded like they had a laugh making it, but it got old quick. Apart from a couple of songs, it was same old Muse, but lacking the excitement and quality.

That said, it's sounds better than Absolution & BH&R, which are horrible to listen to.

I think it's likely that people who have a problem or issues with this album are most likely to comment. And that the majority of those of us who are just as enthusiastic as when it was released can't really be bothered to reiterate our thoughts.

I think it's likely that people who have a problem or issues with this album are most likely to comment. And that the majority of those of us who are just as enthusiastic as when it was released can't really be bothered to reiterate our thoughts.

What evidence is there to back this up?

I'm with CarrieB. I strongly believe that people who dislike something or have a problem with something are likely to speak up about it more than somebody who likes something or doesn't have a problem with it. Whether it be music, a film or otherwise. Conversly, if something is unpopular, people who like such things tend to support those things more passionately.

I'm with CarrieB. I strongly believe that people who dislike something or have a problem with something are likely to speak up about it more than somebody who likes something or doesn't have a problem with it. Whether it be music, a film or otherwise. Unless ofcourse it's something unpopular, in which case people like to support such things more passionately.

Well, isn't that the case here? :p

Uprising - Good song, will be a future classic but for me, personally, forgettable.

Resistance - I fucking love this song. I love the chorus.

Undisclosed Desires - Really... It's a bit forgettable and boring live.

USoE - Great sing a long tune with a couple of fist pumping moments.

Guiding light - The production irritates me, audible clicking on the on beat bass. Ruins a good stadium anthem for me but works great live.

Unnatural Selection - Words can't describe how much I love this song and it's just so, so immense live.

MK Ultra - Studio version, much like Guiding Light, is let down by production. Audible clicking again and the snares and kick lack any punch. Brilliant live tho, one of the best.

IBTY - The French section is beautiful and I find myself singing along to it everytime.

Overture - Sensational.

Cross Pollination - Great piano intro and outro, forgettable everything else.

Redemption - Stunning vocal performance, makes hairs stand on end.

Probably their worst album for me but still good. It's only because the other albums are all fantastic. I think self producing was a bad idea imo because the production sounds more layered back here than on previous and that's a bad thing.

Uprising - Epic live track, and good on the album. Standard Muse.

Resistance - love the intro, verse and outro, the rest is meh.

Undisclosed Desires - Just love it, both live and studio.

USOE - Not a favorite, barely listen to it. Could have been much better.

Guiding Light - No, just no.

Unnatural Selection - Good on the album, not anything special though. Really good live.

MK Ultra - Never sure about this one, loved it at first, but soon I got annoyed by the intro, now it's okay.

I Belong To You - My favorite on the album actually. When I got used to the French part.

Exogenesis - Really good, not really anything groundbreaking or even new for Muse, definitely not their masterpiece.

To sum up, I like it less now than when it was released, and it fights with Showbiz as worst album.

Uprising - loved it then, love it even more now.. though i don't think that extended outro is necessary..

Resistance - after I heard it live I thought it was amazing but now it's just okay

Undisclosed Desires - often skipped though it was pretty good live

United States of Eurasia - Thought it was awesome but now after it was pointed out to me that it's basically the song from Temple of Doom it's ruined.

Guiding Light - it's alright, fun to sing along but I rarely listen to it

Unnatural Selection - would be such a wicked track if it wasn't for that annoying breakdown.. i gave it a shot live but it still kills the song for me though I do like everything else. I made an edited version without it that i listen to now.

MK Ultra - 2nd favourite to Uprising

I Belong To You - catchy as hell, listen to it a lot

Exogenesis - Need to be in the right mood to listen to it, it's definitely one of the greatest things Muse have done though.

Since I find MK Ultra, Uprising, Unnatural Selection and I Belong To You highly repeatable, I rank this very high on my favourite albums list. Don't give a crap about clicks or whatnots some people are anal about, if it sounds good it sounds good.

Though I love Absolution, the only songs I can have on repeat without getting tired of it are Hysteria and Time Is Running Out and occasionally Stockholm Syndrome. Every other album can get dry for me after constant listens and yes that is a huge factor because I do that with all of my music.

Uprising - Gets on my nerves a lot now. Still sort of like it, but can barely listen to it. (I think this is because it was my alarm in the morning for about two months straight a while ago.)

Resistance - Just now starting to like it. Intro and outro = <3 and Chris background vocals. :p

Undisclosed Desires - Still loving it completely. Hate it live. But love the recorded. Sexy stuff.

United States of Eurasia - Used to think it was epic, now... meh.

Guiding Light - It's okay. Rarely gets any plays.

Unnatural Selection - Love it! I think it's probably the best song on the album.

MK Ultra - Only just getting into this one. Kicks ass.

I Belong To You - Only ever listen to it when I want some piano and am in a good mood. When not... meh.

Exogenesis - If I could marry these three songs, I would. 'Nuff said.

Basically, I didn't like the CD at first, but I think it's okay now. Not their best. Falls second to last on my list.

Uprising - When I first heard it I really loved it. It was a breathe of fresh air and got me excited about the rest of the album.

Resistance - Loved, and still love, this song. Except the pre-chorus, which is just shit.

Undisclosed Desires - This song is a bit meh. Really boring live.

United States of Eurasia - I really like USoE. It's great live.

Guiding Light - I think I skipped this during my first listen of The Resistance. Boring and shit, both in studio and live.

Unnatural Selection - Didn't make that much of an impact on me at first. Sounded like nothing more than a New Born clone. Fantastic live song though.

MK Ultra - I was disappointed to hear this in full, because the 30 second preview on iTunes promised much more. All in all a really good song though, really good live as well.

I Belong To You - I never listen to this on record, but it's a fantastic song to hear live. Great fun!

Exogenesis - Only very slightly underwhelming. I still love it to death, and I wish they would play it live already.

Overall:

This album isn't too memorable. It's the album I've listened to the LEAST amount of times, and the only album where I've actually skipped songs.

Not particularly impressed by saying "the majority of..." without any backup, though. Majorities are not mental constructs.

Starting it with "I think it's likely" doesn't give you a hint on that she's only expressing her thoughts, not trying to state is as a fact?

I thought it was the best album of all time when it first came out and it made me think Muse were the most progressive band ever because they had a symphony.

Now.... not quite :chuckle: I do like it, but it definitely isn't the quintessential Muse album.

Uprising - it's okay (same)

Resistance - it's good (like it less)

Undisclosed Desires - like it more (as opposed to absolutely hating it initially)

USoE - Favourite on the album

Guiding Light - I like it. Less so than when it first came out. This is because I made it my phone alarm for waking up in the morning and now I feel a twinge of rage when I hear it on the album :LOL:

Unnatural Selection - like it more, except I still think the slow bit in the middle is out of place

MK Ultra - Like it less

IBTY - Like it more (marginally)

Exogenesis - I listen to it less now, but I still like it. Cross-Pollination is still my favourite part.

Archived