LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

I think everyone went onto reddit forums. I miss the days this used to be a hive of activity and we would have details on literally every man and his dog who had remotely worked on the album in some capacity! By the standards of old this is weak or Muse are just a lot better at concealing info about the album. 

I like to focus on the positive in general but between the snippets I've heard and bits of lyrics I've seen, I'm focusing my energies on being excited about an album announcement, future singles, and imminent tour announcement (fingers crossed). Not to be a bummer, I'm glad it's getting mostly positive response from the fanbase, it's just not to my liking quite yet. But, as I said, this seems likely to be an announcement single, meaning we may get an album release date as well. Maybe not. I am nevertheless so stoked to see activity from the band!

EDIT: On the topic of what the letters stand for, it was suggested on Insta or Reddit that the album title might be 'To War' which doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. I have no qualms with it per se but it would feel a little bit like we're tipping towards the 'Drones' side of the Muse scale, which is not exactly my favorite shade of Muse but c'est la vie!

Edited by svenisms
Forgot second part of message
  • Like 1

I remember originally being so ridiculously hyped for Drones and outside of The Handler, Reapers and moments on the Globalist we had a pretty cheesy album that didn’t live upto the hype filled with radio singles like Dead inside, mercy, revolt and that awful ballad aftermath or whatever it was called. 
hopefully this time we get something a bit more cohesive and muse abandon trying to make the top 40 with a pop song. 

7 hours ago, svenisms said:

I like to focus on the positive in general but between the snippets I've heard and bits of lyrics I've seen, I'm focusing my energies on being excited about an album announcement, future singles, and imminent tour announcement (fingers crossed). Not to be a bummer, I'm glad it's getting mostly positive response from the fanbase, it's just not to my liking quite yet. But, as I said, this seems likely to be an announcement single, meaning we may get an album release date as well. Maybe not. I am nevertheless so stoked to see activity from the band!

EDIT: On the topic of what the letters stand for, it was suggested on Insta or Reddit that the album title might be 'To War' which doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. I have no qualms with it per se but it would feel a little bit like we're tipping towards the 'Drones' side of the Muse scale, which is not exactly my favorite shade of Muse but c'est la vie!

I was looking at them before coming to this thread and I had the same thought without having seen Reddit: "To War"

Aside from being Dronesy, this could also recall parts of BH&R and The Resistance thematically.

14 minutes ago, PlugInYorkie said:

I remember originally being so ridiculously hyped for Drones and outside of The Handler, Reapers and moments on the Globalist we had a pretty cheesy album that didn’t live upto the hype filled with radio singles like Dead inside, mercy, revolt and that awful ballad aftermath or whatever it was called. 
hopefully this time we get something a bit more cohesive and muse abandon trying to make the top 40 with a pop song. 

Lol I still love the whole album, even the tongue in cheek a cappella rewrite at the end.

8 hours ago, Timbo59 said:

they usually release at least 2 or 3 before the album

Before Drones it was (iirc)

Psycho

Reapers (well it was premiered live anyway)

Dead Inside

Mercy

The Handler

(and maybe one more?)

Personally I thought they released too many pre-album singles for Drones and I intentionally didn't listen to The Handler until I got the album.

and before ST it was (iirc)

Dig Down

Thought Contagion

Something Human

The Dark Side

(and maybe one more?)

I still think this is too many, but given the fact that Dig Down and Thought Contagion were released seemingly eons before the album was dropped (or even announced), it was less sensory overload than Drones.

Let me know if I my memory is incorrect on these.

8 hours ago, PlugInYorkie said:

I actually think they're capable of putting out banger pop songs (Panic Station, Propaganda) but yeah, the non-single tracks on Drones were pretty weak and considering half the album had been released by the time we heard the whole thing, it was an underwhelming experience.

8 hours ago, Bohemian-Cygnus-Running-Out said:

I still think this is too many, but given the fact that Dig Down and Thought Contagion were released seemingly eons before the album was dropped (or even announced), it was less sensory overload than Drones.

Let me know if I my memory is incorrect on these.

I think Pressure is the only other one but I agree that the prolonged release of the ST singles cushioned the blow a little. I hope we only get 1-2 more singles before the full release.

^The Dark Side was released prior to album release as well, with music video.

Drones had some really good songs IMO, such as Psycho, Dead Inside, Reapers and Defector.

Even fantastic ones - The Handler.

Simulation Theory was a much bigger disappointment. Atleast Drones still had Matts signature guitar playing and finesse.

I'm surprised so few mentioned that aspect of the music. It becomes more and more simple in a way that doesn't utilize the unique talent within the band.

I thought of this when the most recent verse clip was released but didn't mention it - but we've basically heard the entire song. The only thing I'm anticipating is hearing the chorus and riffing in quality that isn't someone streaming from their phone off their car stereo lol.

But basically - newest clip = verse. Short riffage = pre chrous leading into "won't stand down" chorus. The extended riffing section is very likely the bridge. Comes after a chorus and even leads into what is likely the chorus repeated a few times before the song finishes.

Given that its a radio single I'm not expecting any surprises outside that but it will be nice to actually hear the song together in proper quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

I thought of this when the most recent verse clip was released but didn't mention it - but we've basically heard the entire song. The only thing I'm anticipating is hearing the chorus and riffing in quality that isn't someone streaming from their phone off their car stereo lol.

But basically - newest clip = verse. Short riffage = pre chrous leading into "won't stand down" chorus. The extended riffing section is very likely the bridge. Comes after a chorus and even leads into what is likely the chorus repeated a few times before the song finishes.

Given that its a radio single I'm not expecting any surprises outside that but it will be nice to actually hear the song together in proper quality.

I've only listened to each clip once through so I'm at least interested to see how that meh Imagine Dragons sounding intro leads to the thrashing. Again, I say this all with loads of positivity! 🤓

4 minutes ago, svenisms said:

I've only listened to each clip once through so I'm at least interested to see how that meh Imagine Dragons sounding intro leads to the thrashing. Again, I say this all with loads of positivity! 🤓

I get all the Imagine Dragons comparisons but at least Matt can actually sing. So we get ID style verse with an actual good vocalist. No one in ID has any actual talent. So far WSD isn't my type of Muse, but I do like it.

2 hours ago, Claudia O said:

There is a link on Twitter to an MP3 download … fake or has it really leaked? Don‘t like to try it … if you search #WontStandDown you‘ll find it ….

Don’t give me hope, please… This is gonna be a looong wait, especially after nearly two years of drought (I won’t consider Matt’s “Cryosleep” or ST film OST).

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

You know, before bed time (it’s 1 AM here) I was thinking about what we can see in the video previews we already have. 

It may sound trivial and taken for granted at this point, but if we have to go by the elements in them, my take on the song is that this time it might even more personal to Matt than we could think of. Yes, as usual it looks like it reprises words and concepts we are totally used to from him, but coupled with the unsettling (if not downright creepy) imagery that was revealed to us, like the Matt mask, I predict it’s going to represent an attempt at genuine self-reflection by our dear frontman and the moment in life he’s currently at. 

Just to be clearer… What if the cult portrayed in the video and the car with fancy chandelier are an allegory of the rich and exclusive (key word) Californian jet-set he was made part of thanks to fame? And could the Matt mask be a representation of a sort of fake-self he was turned into just to appease the standards of that group, but that now he wants to definitely break? 

Meh. Don’t know. Maybe I’m too bored and too tired to make a sense out of what I’m writing… 🥴