LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

It’s been a long time guys. Hope you’re all well.

Excited for a new album release! Really like the direction this is going in. This song is pretty sick. 

I assume Chris will be performing the screams live. Super massive black hole and drones style.

Edited by Howardm93
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Feels like a 2nd Law version of Dead Star.

this is strange, but it's pretty accurate...

I like the Chrous and the Breakdown... the Verse is mediocre
I hope, there will be a longer outro with some more guitar action when performed live. The ending of this version is kinda abrupt.

Holy shit that was good. Love the mix, sounds beefy and epic. Can't fault it really, after 1 listen. A bit short maybe, could've done with the bridge and outro being a tad longer. Also I actually like the lyrics which is nice, they feel very relevant. Perhaps the whole thing feels cathartic after the politically polarised last several years in particular.

• Like 1

Listening to it again now. verse reminds me little of Nothing but Thieves. Chorus reminds me of a mix between neutron star collision and the handler 😅 the synths in the chorus are fantastic.

Overall, I love it. Possibly my favourite song of theirs on first few listens I've heard since the the T2L era.

Edited by Timbo59
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jobby said:

I've seen people compare this to Neutron Star Collision more than once. I had to see it, so you all should too.

Pretty fun, nothing extra from the previews so we've mostly already splooged our reactions and a little bit awkward transitioning between sections but nothing deal-breaking. Short, but I prefer that to pushing it too long like they have a few times since Drones. Be an absolute thwomper live.

Most importantly - WE'RE BACK LADS

honestly there's something about the chorus that has the same vibe as NSC. Not sure if it's the tone of Matt's voice or the chord progression. 

Any idea what tuning the song is in? Sounds like drop-C at least?

8 minutes ago, Timbo59 said:

honestly there's something about the chorus that has the same vibe as NSC. Not sure if it's the tone of Matt's voice or the chord progression. 

Any idea what tuning the song is in? Sounds like drop-C at least?

Sounds like a low B to me, the chorus starting on a G, so potentially played on a 7 string.

Edited by Hopix

I had to be at work when it premiered! :(

It's.... good. It's not bad. I'm not disappointed. I'm not that, er, un-disappointed either.  It's oddly a very safe song despite the extraordinary heaviness of the prechorus and the bridge. I do dig the chorus. It sounds a bit out of place... but those signature Muse chord progressions are just 😘

The verse will likely grow on me. Not really thrilled with it but I came around on Dig Down so I can come around on this too.

At any rate, I'm betting this song will wreck live. I hope this year is finally the year I get to go see them for the first time!

Edited by Bohemian-Cygnus-Running-Out

Listened to it a bunch today. Probably 10+ times. I really like it. I'd known we'd heard the whole thing in snippets but to hear it all flow together in good quality is nice.

I obviously don't think its capable of standing up with the all time greats IMO like OoS and Abso but for a lead single for a new album post Black Holes I think its definitely the best. Hell this is probably the best single period they've released since Knights of Cydonia. And by single I'm specifically referring to songs that got radio play. I know they have other "singles" that were singles but didn't get radio play or music videos. I'll have to go back and do some thinking on what all was considered a "single" for each album but it blows my mind that this is going to get radio play. A new Muse song is this hard hitting and the masses are going to hear it.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser
  • Like 2

Hm, has anybody heard of a BBC Radio premiere or something like that? Is it too heavy for BBC1 radio? Better for BBC Radio 6 music 😏

Just found out that it got premiered on the Austrian alternative radio FM4 .. the snippet with Dom is an old one, around the ST-tour 😅 

https://radiothek.orf.at/fm4/20220113/4CO/1642086786000

Edited by Claudia O

I had fun with it. I don't think it really has legs, for me at least. Will probably give it a frequent listen until the next single then it will be a once in a blue moon listen. I'm not really a metal fan, at least not of this variety, so I may not be the best audience for this. Nevertheless, this will probably be a blast live.

I hope we also get a lyric video similar to the Handler with the boys just rocking out to this in a room. This is definitely on a 7 string, possibly even an 8 stringer. Btw speaking of 8 strings, the bridge section reminds me of Rocket Skates by Deftones. Very Stef Carpenter-y rhythm to it.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Just now, Citizen_Eraser said:

I hope we also get a lyric video similar to the Handler with the boys just rocking out to this in a room. This is definitely on a 7 string, possibly even an 8 stringer. Btw speaking of 8 strings, the bridge section reminds me of Rocket Skates by Deftones.

Deftones was exactly who I thought of during the bridge section. They were a big influence early on iirc so it's nice to seem them coming back around to that sound. 

4 minutes ago, Bohemian-Cygnus-Running-Out said:

Deftones was exactly who I thought of during the bridge section. They were a big influence early on iirc so it's nice to seem them coming back around to that sound. 

Totally. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. Probably get some more Head-Up riffing live.