Should Citizen Erased be on the set-list?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Should Citizen Erased be on the set-list?

Mmmkay.

A few weeks ago I didn't think about this song at all, it was one of those I just had no opinion on because I had it on auto-skip, I just didn't listen to it all.

Then I come here and see everyone going mad over this song, and I wonder what all the fuss is about.

Suffice to say...

...I get what the fuss is about. Cheers Musers. Now in my top three-four Muse songs and my top-tenish ever songs.

Well I don't have a favourite Muse song, I have like six or seven equal favourites and depending on my mood, they rotate. But Citizen Erased is right up there at the moment. Anyway, this is my review of CE from the OOS review/rate thread - if it doesn't make sense, that's because its written in the form of track by track flowing into the next to get an idea of the flow of the album.

"Citizen Erased" is widely considered the best Muse song and for good reason. From start to finish this seven minute epic is absolutely brilliant - the overrated calls are not justified in my opinion as this song deserves to be loved and deserves to win any competition or any poll for best Muse song.

Oh dear, I came so much I forgot to describe the actual song. Okay, let's see. First there is the opening harmonics are everything we love about Muse and then that bassy riff starts and oh dear Lord! What more can we say?

The verse again is slightly quiet and also resembles the rhythm of Hyper Music but then the chorus is screamed out and we hear that wonderful falsetto we love so much before the song breaks down a bit for that mini guitar solo between the first chorus and second verse.

Then as we break into the second chorus and we realise there is just as much emotion in it when it is sung quietly and gently, not to mention an octave lower. But then the harmonics/riff and bass kick back in again and we have that epic guitar solo and one more screaming version of the chorus.

The song could end now and you'd be content - it's been five minutes of pure brilliance - but this is where I think CE earns most of it's points. It doesn't end. The guitar continues with the same melody as the verse before that part at around 5:19 where the guitar slows right now and even better the chord played at exactly 5:40 when it feels like the song resolves itself and for the last minute and a half it becomes a ballad but it is so beautiful it just makes it even more epic, the piano outro and the falsetto and that noise in the background enhances:

Well I don't have a favourite Muse song, I have like six or seven equal favourites and depending on my mood, they rotate. But Citizen Erased is right up there at the moment. Anyway, this is my review of CE from the OOS review/rate thread - if it doesn't make sense, that's because its written in the form of track by track flowing into the next to get an idea of the flow of the album.

"Citizen Erased" is widely considered the best Muse song and for good reason. From start to finish this seven minute epic is absolutely brilliant - the overrated calls are not justified in my opinion as this song deserves to be loved and deserves to win any competition or any poll for best Muse song.

Oh dear, I came so much I forgot to describe the actual song. Okay, let's see. First there is the opening harmonics are everything we love about Muse and then that bassy riff starts and oh dear Lord! What more can we say?

The verse again is slightly quiet and also resembles the rhythm of Hyper Music but then the chorus is screamed out and we hear that wonderful falsetto we love so much before the song breaks down a bit for that mini guitar solo between the first chorus and second verse.

Then as we break into the second chorus and we realise there is just as much emotion in it when it is sung quietly and gently, not to mention an octave lower. But then the harmonics/riff and bass kick back in again and we have that epic guitar solo and one more screaming version of the chorus.

The song could end now and you'd be content - it's been five minutes of pure brilliance - but this is where I think CE earns most of it's points. It doesn't end. The guitar continues with the same melody as the verse before that part at around 5:19 where the guitar slows right now and even better the chord played at exactly 5:40 when it feels like the song resolves itself and for the last minute and a half it becomes a ballad but it is so beautiful it just makes it even more epic, the piano outro and the falsetto and that noise in the background enhances:

I'm really enjoying reading your breakdowns. This is pretty good again.

I have this video linked to 3 minutes 54 seconds. This is CE at Glastonbury in 04. WHAT IS THIS RIFF? Is it original?

No idea, but in part due to that riff, it's my favourite Muse performance ever, second only to Stockholm Syndrome from the same gig :D

I have this video linked to 3 minutes 54 seconds. This is CE at Glastonbury in 04. WHAT IS THIS RIFF? Is it original?

That's why it's easily the best CE performance. That harmonic can only get so repetitive.

One good review :)

The last part of the song is just sooooooo beautiful I can't even think about it without crying.

ABOSLUTELY.BRILLIANT.

That's why it's easily the best CE performance. That harmonic can only get so repetitive.

that's why I love live Muse - they don't just play the album versions, they love to mix it up with riffs/jams and other impromptu bits and pieces.

This little part here is a perfect example of how they made a great song even better live!

Archived