If it's acceptable for Thom Yorke to write a song for Twilight, I don't see why it's Unacceptable for Muse to. Most songs written for the Twilight soundtracks are actually really good.

I don't have a problem with Muse writing a song for Twilight or being used in the soundtrack... I have an issue with them agreeing to be the lead single and what it represents.

Lastly, I also find it somewhat obnoxious when people say Twilight has made Muse too popular and mainstream. Are you too cool to listen to music that other people like too? You can only listen to music that no one else has heard of? Get over yourself. Just because other people have discovered the utter brilliance that is Muse doesn't mean you can't like them anymore.

I've not seen anyone seriously suggesting this :erm:.

I agree with your description of what happened with SMBH but IBTY but remember that this time around it's not just about having a song used in a soundtrack it's the lead single to promote a teenager fad/obsession which for me is a different ball game.

It's not about being associated with Twilight anymore it's about openly promoting it and being an integrant part of a marketing campaign out to make money out of teenagers fad... I personally didn't think Muse was the kind of band who would use those kind of mass marketing to increase their popularity and make money.

I didn't realize it was being used to promote the movie beyond just being the first single announced. Is there more to it? I guess I don't even know which songs from the other 2 soundtracks were considered singles...

I don't have a problem with Muse writing a song for Twilight or being used in the soundtrack... I have an issue with them agreeing to be the lead single and what it represents.

What exactly does it represent though? Matt's always said that he want's to do work for film soundtracks. Lots of other credible artists do it all the time.

I've not seen anyone seriously suggesting this :erm:.

It was suggested in some of the comments on the news item about this on the main Muse site (not the boards). My obnoxious brother made a similar comment too - he won't even give Muse a chance because they're too "popular" although I know if he actually gave some of their older stuff a listen he'd probably like it.

I think the first film was terrible. I didn't watch any of the others. But it doesn't bother me if Muse want to write songs for the films, even if their song is released as a single, it's up to them. It gets their music out there, they're not supporting anything um (I can't think of the word) but shall we say, if they wrote a campaign song for the BNP I wouldn't be too happy with them, but this is just a teen movie!

I'm just looking forward to hearing it.:)

Big deal! It's JUST a movie. Just be happy you have a new muse song to feast your ears with!!

Anyone reckon it will be played during the remainder of the resistance tour? Hope so, and itll probably be on the 6th album too, so now u can all say that the 6th album is underway!!

Maybe album 6 should b called "the neutron star collision" !

I didn't realize it was being used to promote the movie beyond just being the first single announced. Is there more to it? I guess I don't even know which songs from the other 2 soundtracks were considered singles...

I think it just means it will be the song played on the radio to promote the sondtrack and the music video will probably encorporate something about Twilight.

I don't think anyone's really saying that, I'm certainly not - Muse being associated with Twilight, however repulsive I find that connection, is not going to put me off a single thing Muse have ever produced (except perhaps the song in question :p).

My post was more of a reply to people like eegomberg who said that Muse are choosing to lose fans just so they can use Twilight to gain new ones.

I'm a more recent Muse fan myself - it's just this year that I've really gotten into them but I now own all of their music and love the older music just as much, often even more, than the newer songs. I wish I had been exposed to Muse a long time ago - I feel like I missed out on what could have been some terrific years of Muse worship.

I never thought about that. I wonder if I may have found out about them sooner too if they had been associated with something like Twilight earlier, i.e. 2000. I'm not saying that their rise to stardom on their own is not awesome but it did make it more difficult for those who didn't live in France or UK and didn't follow the alternative music scene at the time.

Lastly, I also find it somewhat obnoxious when people say Twilight has made Muse too popular and mainstream. Are you too cool to listen to music that other people like too? You can only listen to music that no one else has heard of? Get over yourself. Just because other people have discovered the utter brilliance that is Muse doesn't mean you can't like them anymore.

QFT

I think the first film was terrible. I didn't watch any of the others. But it doesn't bother me if Muse want to write songs for the films, even if their song is released as a single, it's up to them. It gets their music out there, they're not supporting anything um (I can't think of the word) but shall we say, if they wrote a campaign song for the BNP I wouldn't be too happy with them, but this is just a teen movie!

I'm just looking forward to hearing it.:)

if they wrote a campaign song for the BNP, what should it be, a cover of acdc's TNT called BNP??

Yes' date=' but they weren't written for Twilight - this one specifically was. It will be on the Eclipse compilation CD and that's it.[/quote']

How about i belong to you???? U nevr know with muse. While this song was scrapped don said whatever happens well still release it on a future album. It will probs still cone on no 6

How about i belong to you???? U nevr know with muse. While this song was scrapped don said whatever happens well still release it on a future album. It will probs still cone on no 6

...?

I Belong To You was written for The Resistance, not Twilight.

I also challenge you to find a band who have written a song specifically for a soundtrack and then included it on their next album. It very very very rarely happens. I'd also be incredibly suprised if the sound/direction/vibe of Neutron Star Collision chimes with where Muse are in two/three years time when album #6 is being written/recorded.

I Belong to You was written for The Resistance. It was then 'remixed' for New Moon.

And Dom didn't specifically say for the next album. He said they might release it as a standalone single aswell.

Archived