Any chance this new song is previewed in the RBS intro in the Seattle myspace video? Check out at 35:20. There's no way to connect the 4 second clip with that, but they are both piano songs...

I was just thinking that- the little twiddle (don't know the technical term!) in the preview sounds a bit like the interlude between USOE and RBS. Hmm.... probably wrong though!

I am so disappointed by this. I understand that they want to make money, and this was a great way to do so, but I feel like they are just selling out. I just find it ironic that they made the theme of the new album about being a leader, standing up for what you believe in and not letting people walk all over you. After making a statement like that, they go and sell out to the Twilight series. Has anyone read these books or seen the movies? THEY ARE HORRIBLE. The grammar and sentence structure are horrible for a book that was mass produced. I'm not saying my grammar is perfect, but this is a world-wide published book. Those standards are a little bit higher, but they seem to have made an exception. They are losing their fans to pre-pubescent girls. When I was at the concert in Atlanta, the loudest applause was for "Supermassive Black Hole." We all know that they have better songs than that. I can also tell you that this song was not one of the Top 5 downloads of Muse until "Twilight" came out. I'm glad they are getting the exposure, but I guess I'm just bitter because of these pre-teens who don't care about the music are saying that Muse is their new favorite band just because of this passing trend of "Twilight." I guess I also hate having my favorite band of ten years being associated with such horrible literature.

I am so disappointed by this. I understand that they want to make money, and this was a great way to do so, but I feel like they are just selling out. I just find it ironic that they made the theme of the new album about being a leader, standing up for what you believe in and not letting people walk all over you. After making a statement like that, they go and sell out to the Twilight series. Has anyone read these books or seen the movies? THEY ARE HORRIBLE. The grammar and sentence structure are horrible for a book that was mass produced. I'm not saying my grammar is perfect, but this is a world-wide published book. Those standards are a little bit higher, but they seem to have made an exception. They are losing their fans to pre-pubescent girls. When I was at the concert in Atlanta, the loudest applause was for "Supermassive Black Hole." We all know that they have better songs than that. I can also tell you that this song was not one of the Top 5 downloads of Muse until "Twilight" came out. I'm glad they are getting the exposure, but I guess I'm just bitter because of these pre-teens who don't care about the music are saying that Muse is their new favorite band just because of this passing trend of "Twilight." I guess I also hate having my favorite band of ten years being associated with such horrible literature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXwyE0IrA2M

Any chance this new song is previewed in the RBS intro in the Seattle myspace video? Check out at 35:20. There's no way to connect the 4 second clip with that, but they are both piano songs...

Nah that's called like Adagio Sostenuto or something. They've played it for a while now and I don't think it even belongs to them.

Eloquently put and pretty much bang on the money from my point of view.

I'm delighted that Muse are growing in the USA, I just really don't like how they're going about it (or, in all likelyhood, how Warner are going about it).

Eloquently put and pretty much bang on the money from my point of view.

I'm delighted that Muse are growing in the USA, I just really don't like how they're going about it (or, in all likelyhood, how Warner are going about it).

+1

That's exactly how I feel too.

I think it's sad that people would choose to not be a fan anymore just because Muse does a song for a movie you don't like. If it ends up being the best song they've ever done (it won't), somehow I think most of you would forget about the fact that it's in Twilight.

I disagree. Despite whatever message Muse may have spread in their songs, we shouldn't forget that they are no longer a group of teenagers destroying their equipment in a battle of the bands competition, they are an internationally recognized band and a business. Associating (or exploiting) their connection to Twilight (or whatever else for that matter) is good business. If their manager had suggested not to do it because the movies are horrible or because the books are badly written then the manager should have been fired on the spot.

Does it really matter that the books are badly written or the movies are bad? The song will be heard by million of people who would not have found out about Muse otherwise. Sure, 90% of them might be teenagers who will forget about Muse in a month and will never check out the rest of their discography but Muse will also earn the other 10% who will become real Muse fans. And 10% of twilighters is a huge number.

I think it's sad that people would choose to not be a fan anymore just because Muse does a song for a movie you don't like. If it ends up being the best song they've ever done (it won't), somehow I think most of you would forget about the fact that it's in Twilight.

I feel the same way

I think it's sad that people would choose to not be a fan anymore just because Muse does a song for a movie you don't like.

I don't think anyone's really saying that, I'm certainly not - Muse being associated with Twilight, however repulsive I find that connection, is not going to put me off a single thing Muse have ever produced (except perhaps the song in question :p).

It's just the apparant shift in Muse's attitude over the years - I know they're big, they're a business, an empire, whatever you want, but that seems to have fundamentally clouded their judgement at times if you ask me, which is, above all, simply disappointing for someone who watched Muse rise to glory in the UK almost entirely off their own back. Now, it seems that they're simply being whored to death by a massive, major label, whether they like it or not.

I can't evidence any of this, really, it's just how I feel these days :(.

I feel the same way

CONCUR!! Lighten up people. I am not a particular fan of the books or movies (and I have read/seen all of them) but I think they're making a smart business decision

It's all about demographics and if you go after the younger crowd it buys you that many more years of fanbase. Plus the additional sales will give them the capital and freedom to make their shows bigger and better or generate whatever kind of music they want. I actually think it will boost their creativity.

*stepping off my soapbox* :p

I disagree. Despite whatever message Muse may have spread in their songs, we shouldn't forget that they are no longer a group of teenagers destroying their equipment in a battle of the bands competition, they are an internationally recognized band and a business. Associating (or exploiting) their connection to Twilight (or whatever else for that matter) is good business. If their manager had suggested not to do it because the movies are horrible or because the books are badly written then the manager should have been fired on the spot.

Does it really matter that the books are badly written or the movies are bad? The song will be heard by million of people who would not have found out about Muse otherwise. Sure, 90% of them might be teenagers who will forget about Muse in a month and will never check out the rest of their discography but Muse will also earn the other 10% who will become real Muse fans. And 10% of twilighters is a huge number.

I agree. Even if long-time fans don't like it, it's still good business. I don't think it's selling out unless they start producing music that they are against producing. I don't think that's happened yet. And I think it's true that many of the teeny boppers will lose interest quickly. Imo the reason SMBH was so popular with the Twilighters was because it was played during an "important" scene in the movie. As far as I know the same furor didn't happen over IBTY I guess because it was barely noticeable in the movie. There's tons of other bands contributing to the new soundtrack, so there's no way to know which songs will make the teens swoon this time. Maybe it won't be the Muse song. :)

CONCUR!! Lighten up people. I am not a particular fan of the books or movies (and I have read/seen all of them) but I think they're making a smart business decision

It's all about demographics and if you go after the younger crowd it buys you that many more years of fanbase. Plus the additional sales will give them the capital and freedom to make their shows bigger and better or generate whatever kind of music they want. I actually think it will boost their creativity.

*stepping off my soapbox* :p

I thought the same thing :happy:

I agree. Even if long-time fans don't like it, it's still good business. I don't think it's selling out unless they start producing music that they are against producing. I don't think that's happened yet. And I think it's true that many of the teeny boppers will lose interest quickly. Imo the reason SMBH was so popular with the Twilighters was because it was played during an "important" scene in the movie. As far as I know the same furor didn't happen over IBTY I guess because it was barely noticeable in the movie. There's tons of other bands contributing to the new soundtrack, so there's no way to know which songs will make the teens swoon this time. Maybe it won't be the Muse song. :)

I agree with your description of what happened with SMBH but IBTY but remember that this time around it's not just about having a song used in a soundtrack it's the lead single to promote a teenager fad/obsession which for me is a different ball game.

It's not about being associated with Twilight anymore it's about openly promoting it and being an integrant part of a marketing campaign out to make money out of teenagers fad... I personally didn't think Muse was the kind of band who would use those kind of mass marketing to increase their popularity and make money.

I think selling out is quite a strong term, the way I see it's not really selling out unless they stop doing the music they want to. I also kind of get the impression that it was on their terms as they threatening to back out at one point, but I suppose the closest to selling out I feel they've done is that they took my favourite song from TR and put an appalling remix of it on New Moon. :LOL:

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I don't really get the vitriol towards Twilight. Yes, I understand it's frustrating that some teenage girls say Muse is now their favorite band when really they only know one or two songs. However, I think Twilight has helped introduce Muse to a great deal of mature, thoughtful people who really do appreciate Muse for their amazing talent and music.

Besides that, Stephenie Meyer is obviously a huge Muse fan and has been for a long time. In terms of her Muse fanaticism, she's probably not all that different from all the Twihaters on here. Methinks maybe there's a bit of jealousy involved? After all, she's gotten to meet Muse and they're basically writing songs for her. I also have to say that as a writer I find Muse's music wildly inspirational, so I can see where Meyer is coming from.

I'm a more recent Muse fan myself - it's just this year that I've really gotten into them but I now own all of their music and love the older music just as much, often even more, than the newer songs. I wish I had been exposed to Muse a long time ago - I feel like I missed out on what could have been some terrific years of Muse worship.

Lastly, I also find it somewhat obnoxious when people say Twilight has made Muse too popular and mainstream. Are you too cool to listen to music that other people like too? You can only listen to music that no one else has heard of? Get over yourself. Just because other people have discovered the utter brilliance that is Muse doesn't mean you can't like them anymore.

Just my two cents. Sorry if this repeats what's already been said a hundred times, but can't we all just unite in our love of Muse and rejoice that we're getting what will hopefully be an awesome new song?

Archived