A true controversial opinion: I've never liked MOTP. I don't mind what is sounds like though.

84964-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-The-Wire-RwqT.gif

Yep. The main problem with Muse isn't that they changed, but that they left the concept of having a distinctive sound. Sure the sound progressed, but now it's just gone completely. And I feel like even if they do return to the roots, the sound will be lost and all that will be left is 11 totally separate songs with nothing to connect them besides having riffs.

I mean even if Space Dementia, Plug In Baby and Megalomania are all really different, they share the same sound.

I think we've had songs on the last couple of albums that have a distinctive "Muse sound", but for the most part I agree. Follow Me is the most flagrant offender in my opinion. That said, I do think they could still make a cohesive album if they make an effort rather than the scattershot approach that characterised T2L.

I like the Costey edit and the original equally tbh, it just depends on what mood I'm in that determines which one I listen to. If the original was remastered, it'd probably end up being my favourite (oh, how I would kill for a remastered BHAR <3).

My issue with MOTP is the melody which I don't respond to and overall it gives me this unexplainable anxious feeling. It feels like it has this hysterical edge or something. So the remix doesn't really help much.

I actually looked at TR and 2TL tracklists to try to figure out which songs had a Muse-y sound and while obviously most songs had some Muse essence in them, I think only MK Ultra, Uprising, Resistance and maybe Supremacy (taking out the Bond embellisments) feel like natural continuations to the older sound of Muse.

My issue with MOTP is the melody which I don't respond to and overall it gives me this unexplainable anxious feeling. It feels like it has this hysterical edge or something. So the remix doesn't really help much.
That's kind of what makes it so good imo, and exactly what I lack in songs post-BH&R.

That's actually one of the things I love about it. I mean, besides that it just fucking sounds amazing.

The "hectic" feeling of the song exactly embodies what the lyrics are about, and that's pretty awesome, imo.

Makes the entire thing just feel more emotional and personal.

I'd be happy if they incorporated some fast, heavy riffs like those into the album as long as the songs are a bit more... developed than Agitated or Yes Please.

I don't have a problem with fast, heavy riffs... Just that those two songs (which Matt seems to have regained a fondness for all of a sudden) are a bit shit, overall. :(

MK Ultra isn't a bad song, I really like a lot of it (lyrics, intro, guitar work)... but it's missing something.

I find it a bit boring, and always feel like I WANT to like it more than I ever do.

MK Ultra isn't a bad song, I really like a lot of it (lyrics, intro, guitar work)... but it's missing something.

I find it a bit boring, and always feel like I WANT to like it more than I ever do.

I think it needed a bit more roughness, a bit more crunch in the guitars to really make an impact. As it is, it's just a little too smooth to really make an impact.

Same. And I don't really get what it is either. It's basically TRs MoTP but I just can't get into it at all.

I find the guitar work lets the song down. The intro riff is OK, I don't mind the pattern but that stabby octaver tone reeks of overproduction. Then you have the verse which consists of three notes, and it just sounds like they ran out of ideas.

On the other hand the choruses are brilliant, especially the first one with those harmonies, strings and beefy riffage. The second chorus is pretty good, but would sound better if the strings were more audible like on the 5.1 version. And of course the outro kicks ass, somehow Muse + Drop D riffage never ceases to amaze.

So basically yeah, not a bad song but it needs more work, and sounds boring and uninspired at times.

I'm not as fond of NB and US as I am of much of their other work, either...

I was only saying about YP and Agitated as they mysteriously popped back into the sets around the time Matt started saying that was what the next album would sound like.

US did, I suppose, as well. But at least the US played live was superior to the one on the album.

Still no where near one of my fav songs.