How good do you think that this song will be?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think that this song will be?

• Awesome!!!
    • Pretty Good.
    • Average.
    • Horrible.

Everyone loves part 1 but part 2 has gotta be the most epic part.. especially when he starts singing "spread out close to the stars"... it makes me hot inside and i'm a guy that's not gay by any means. :eek:

That part makes me want to go skydiving off the moon.

Well since it seems this is gonna be one (3) of the better songs on TR, does anyone know any (free?) software which would merge the 3 parts in one file? Since my player is set to random picking of songs, would be stupid to keep those track separated.....

Well since it seems this is gonna be one (3) of the better songs on TR, does anyone know any (free?) software which would merge the 3 parts in one file? Since my player is set to random picking of songs, would be stupid to keep those track separated.....

You could use Audacity.

Google it.

Exo 1 is in 12/8 time, and with ten bars in 30 seconds, clocks in at a whopping 240 b.p.m. (if a beat is an eighth note, that is). It wasn't obviously derivative of anything else, which is good, but if pressed you could see a general similarity between the string arpeggios and those in Bernard Herrman's classic score for Vertigo, although they're in different keys and Herrman's theme is initially a descending one, whereas this sample of Matt's begins on the ascent. So if it is an influence, it's suitably fiddled with and repurposed, and very much in the classical tradition of constructive, creative borrowing. Love the high-ranging vocal, and the way it blends nicely with the orchestral accompaniment, too!

On Edit: another big difference is the number of notes in the descending/ascending figures -- the Vertigo one only runs to four each way. No stealing from Herrmann, then. :)

Trivia question: what track on The Resistance features the fastest beat? Based on these clips, it's Exo 2, with that middle eight bars of transition between what sound like a major-key waltz in 3/4 and a minor-key 4/4 section. (I loves me the prog-rocky time- and key-sig shifts!) The 8 bars sound like they're in 4/16 time, and took only six seconds to play, so that's 320 b.p.m. (if you define a beat as a sixteenth note), but only for six seconds. And yes, thematically, lyrically, vocally, and instrumentally, it's all yummy goodness.

Exo 3's in 6/8 time, clocking in at a spirited 184 b.p.m., yet is sweetly, plaintively elegaic. It sounds like it's reprising the key sig at the beginning of the Exo 2 clip (the waltz section; the 6/8 time sig here mathematically mirrors that, while not exactly being a waltz itself; 3/4 and 6/8 are not the same thing.) Nice one, Matt! Subtle! I wonder if any professional critics will get it? (I wouldn't hold my breath!)

I'll admit I was a bit worried about the "symphonic monster" lacking a rock-like energy or tempo, but I'm very pleased with what I've heard so far, in every respect. Hats off to you, Matt!

I like how he sings that we have to start over again at the ending. Sounds like a great ending to an album.

Faith + 1

The clips were exaclty what I was expecting of this symphony. I'm absolutely loving the clips. Part 3 sounds brilliant.

Keep playing it over and over again!

...riverrun past Eve and Adam's, by swerve of shore and bend of bay, brings us by a Commodius Vicus, back to Howth Castle and Environs.

...we came in?

Isn't this where...

Basically, that reminds me of Finnegans Wake and Pink Floyd. :LOL:

This has probably already said but it's just occurred to me that the Overture isn't just similar to Microcuts - it is Microcuts! An orchestral slowed down version with Matt sounding practically operatic, almost Sarah Brightman! I would be amazed if he can manage to sing this with that amount of control at that pitch live. I think live the vocals will be more raw, more like Microcuts.

Forgot to say, I think Exogenesis will be awesome!:D

Archived