Simulation Theory tour discussion

Jobby

Songs I'm tippin' for a comeback (as in, not been played for at least one tour/era) during ST, in order of likelihood:

Unintended - always returned for stadiums and Matt's embraced the acoustic a lot more on this record

Megalomania - one-off for RAH, not guaranteed but more likely than not imo

Guiding Light - staple on the last two stadium tours and was rehearsed during Drones, it's on the horizon lbh

Follow Me - surprisingly little T2L played last tour but, with the band relating ST back to it, I think the potential for returns raises a bit (like Abso with Drones) and they'd fit well tonally, can be tuned down for vocals

Explorers - see above, past stadium gigs tended to have at least 2 piano slots as well

Soldier's Poem - similar reasons to Unintended, just less consistent track record

Ruled By Secrecy - kinda surprised it missed out on Drones, first tour off since its release

Invincible - rogue shout for an older, big 'stadium-y' return like Blackout in 2013, now over that 10 year mark the band seem to like for some reason, an old fave of Matt's and kinda fits ST's vibe as well

Survival - same reason as the other two T2L songs but obvs a huge stretch vocally, might be a bit much to tune down a song that's already in drop G# as well, so much more doubtful

Then this next bundle is mainly for any by request shows or general small gigs where the band might listen to what fans want, presuming those continue

Falling Away With You - surely this has to get voted in at some point? shocked it hasn't already, unthinkable 10 years ago

The Small Print - pretty popular choice throughout the fanbase, would imagine it finished within the top 20 at SBE

City Of Delusion - see above

Cave - fans love a Showbiz return and guitar Cave's been gone a vvv long time, you'd think it'd be more popular but I'd say it's not far behind Uno and that got enough backing during Drones

Exo-Politics - not a huge following but surprisingly popular given how much flack it's gotten over the years, wouldn't be surprised if it was in the top 20/30 at SBE

MK Ultra - similar to above, though it's had more of a 'meh' vibe than active flack, and knocking on that 10 year mark that can see songs snowball in appreciation a bit

Edited by Jobby

Falling Away With You - surely this has to get voted in at some point? shocked it hasn't already, unthinkable 10 years ago

The Small Print - pretty popular choice throughout the fanbase, would imagine it finished within the top 20 at SBE

bit

I dream of a day where they play FAWY, transition into Interlude, and then into Hysteria.

Obviously, I'm all for a return for TSP too!

An unrealistic yet ideal return for me would be Fillip from Showbiz. Or Sunburn, which at least has some chance.

Ruled By Secrecy/Apocalypse Please would have been a great piano slot rotation for the Drones Tour.

It's sad a band with so many songs about government control and apocalyptic war played so few of them during an era that was the most in to that concept.

Ruled By Secrecy/Apocalypse Please would have been a great piano slot rotation for the Drones Tour.

It's sad a band with so many songs about government control and apocalyptic war played so few of them during an era that was the most in to that concept.

ofc, AP was played a few times during that tour.

RBS (a personal fave -- it MUST return) could kinda fit during this tour...maybe. ...if you can kinda shoehorn an equating of the idea of "lack of control" with "simulation"/"distortion of reality."

eff it, prob too much of a stretch.

I dream of a day where they play FAWY, transition into Interlude, and then into Hysteria.

Obviously, I'm all for a return for TSP too!

An unrealistic yet ideal return for me would be Fillip from Showbiz. Or Sunburn, which at least has some chance.

Maybe I’m inventing it but I feel like there was a time where FAWY was frequently memed as the song so many people wanted but would never, ever happen. Almost like True Love Waits for Radiohead but for live play instead of making it onto a record. Maybe it’s just become less of a unique case as the last 3 albums have rolled by with unplayed songs of their own. If you’d told people back then though that Muse would do a legit by request gig full of hardcores, give them 10 songs each to vote for and FAWY didn’t even make it into the top 12, you’d be laughed off the board.

Fillip’s just below being an absolute must see for me but it would be a romp, doesn’t get much fanfare though so think you’d just have to pray for an anniversary show or the band to randomly pull it out rather than a request. Sunburn’s never missed a tour so I’d be surprised if it starts now, seems to be one of the v few Showbiz songs Matt’s remained fond of. Feel like London’s usually a reliable tour stop for it to pop up.

RBS (a personal fave -- it MUST return) could kinda fit during this tour...maybe. ...if you can kinda shoehorn an equating of the idea of "lack of control" with "simulation"/"distortion of reality."

eff it, prob too much of a stretch.

Doesn’t have to fit the theme tbf, Muse don’t seem too concerned w/ that to me, it’s just a loose bonus if it does. Wouldn’t expect it to be anywhere near regular rotation, probs just a one-off like 2012 if anything.

Edited by Jobby

Artists from all corners are announcing their own headline shows for next summer these weeks. Hopefully Muse announce theirs in this or next week.

My eyes are on their UK gigs next summer and I'm noticing no one has announced anything for The Olympic Stadium yet. Metallica are at Twickenham, but Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, The Eagles and Pink are all at Wembley.

The "dream" for me personally is they end their stadium tour at Wembley like in 2010. That place just has some magic to it from my non-UK point of view opposite to any other venue. Saw The Killers there in 2013 and should have Foo Fighters in 2015, but got cancelled. It's time to get back.

If they play at Olympic or Twickenham (or Hyde Park?), I actually think I'm gonna go for the Manchester show just to try something new (never been there).

I get the feeling that Fleetwood Mac having a Wembley show on sale this week means its likely there won't be another UK stadium run going on sale this week. But then maybe I could well be wrong... have been before

I'm still wanting to do something else to London though, much as I like the idea of it being the Olympic Stadium as I had a good time seeing Depeche Mode there last year. Instinct still leans towards the idea of doing a European show instead, or even the slightly stranger idea of going to New York. Although I like the idea of Manchester, as I've never been up there for concert purposes.

I'll figure something out... maybe :chuckle:

I’m looking at all 3 UK cities (presumably 4 dates?), Nijmegen (set there on the TR tour was a p mad ‘un iirc) and maybe something in Italy.

Not 100% sure about Werchter now, would be around a £200 overall trip and I’m not sure I’d see anything different there than I would at the stadium shows around it, since festival shows around that time tend to just be a lite version of the stadium sets. Have always wanted to go though and Muse is as good a reason as any.

Edit: oh and maybe Paris on the remote chance they throw in an IBTY

Edited by Jobby

Seen an article regarding Ashton Gate in Bristol

Said they have license for large gigs on June 5th, 10th and 15th next year

Id guess one of them dates will be Muse

Didn't know this but the Rod Stewart and Take That dates already announced for Ashton Gate are in late May.

Must be a busy old summer there if they've got more on top of those 2 dates and Muse.

Just for curiosity, how much were the cheapest tickets for La Cigale and the latest SBE?

Because I may try and give that hypothetical secret gig in Italy a go... (if there's one, that is)...

Musewiki says €66 for La Cigale and £78 for SBE. Psycho Tour was all around £50 iirc.

I’ll defo be giving it a go if it’s the only one happening or a by request. Loved Italy every time I’ve been. Also wouldn’t put it past Fabri to have been taking the piss given he’s planted the seed and disappeared since though :chuckle:

Roskilde Festival is announcing their 4th most request artist this year at noon. Gonna be hugely surprised if Muse are that popular, but we'll see.

Can't think of any of the already announced acts around Europe being the 4th most popular and realistic to Roskilde, so gonna be interesting.

Just a quick guess. :D

Lolla Stockholm on Friday/Saturday 28/29 June (no Swedish date in the announcement).

Rock Werchter on Sunday 30 June.

Stadium show in Nijmigen or Cologne on Tuesday 2 July.

Roskilde Festival on Thursday 4 July (no Danish date in the announcement).

Open'er Festival on Friday 5 July (no Polish date in the announcement).

Stadium show somewhere on Sunday 7 July.