Claudia O

Do you like Thought Contagion?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Thought Contagion?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Better than DD
    • Forget it...

Every bit of my better judgement tells me this song is a stinker and yet, I love it to death! I think this is because of a perfect storm of reasons. 1. My expectations are based on Muse's recent output, not their best output. 2. This doesn't sound like a retread of anything they've done before (see: Dig Down) and this feels like a natural next step for them. 3. It's high energy and catchy; good running music is always a plus for me.

It's not high praise,I know, but my relationship with Muse is like that of a middle aged married couple. Our crazy, partying days are behind us. We fight more often than we used to. But the good times are still good. Sure, she tells the same jokes I've always heard but I still laugh because I love her. It may not be exciting anymore but it's comfortable and, at this stage in my life, that's all I need.

Every bit of my better judgement tells me this song is a stinker and yet, I love it to death! I think this is because of a perfect storm of reasons. 1. My expectations are based on Muse's recent output, not their best output. 2. This doesn't sound like a retread of anything they've done before (see: Dig Down) and this feels like a natural next step for them. 3. It's high energy and catchy; good running music is always a plus for me.

It's not high praise,I know, but my relationship with Muse is like that of a middle aged married couple. Our crazy, partying days are behind us. We fight more often than we used to. But the good times are still good. Sure, she tells the same jokes I've always heard but I still laugh because I love her. It may not be exciting anymore but it's comfortable and, at this stage in my life, that's all I need.

Can I just say that you're the best new member this board has seen in like two years? And you've only posted like what, 10 posts? :LOL:

:LOL:

I think my problem with TC is that unlike you I have gone back to judging Muse based on their best work, rather than what they've done recently. I've enjoyed the last few albums to varying degrees and enjoyed seeing them live again for the first time in a while a couple of years back, but I also think I'm past the stage where I'm just going to listen to something because it's Muse. I've actually been revisiting the older albums in particular lately and it's kind of reminded me just how many great Muse songs there are that I could choose to listen to. If that's the case then why would I settle for something that I find pretty mediocre?

:LOL:

I think my problem with TC is that unlike you I have gone back to judging Muse based on their best work, rather than what they've done recently. I've enjoyed the last few albums to varying degrees and enjoyed seeing them live again for the first time in a while a couple of years back, but I also think I'm past the stage where I'm just going to listen to something because it's Muse. I've actually been revisiting the older albums in particular lately and it's kind of reminded me just how many great Muse songs there are that I could choose to listen to. If that's the case then why would I settle for something that I find pretty mediocre?

That's fair. It also probably has to do with how I got into Muse. OoS made me love the music but T2L tour made them my favorite band, heretical as it is to say on this board. So I guess this is why I don't mind TC and poppier Muse tracks but I also get the aversion some have towards it.

The T2L tour was fantastic, honestly, and I had such high hopes for them afterwards.

As for the new song, is everyone else seeing a million banner ads for it, or do I just go to weird websites?

Seems like they're promoting it heavily on some video game sites and sci fi type stuff.

I didn't see a single banner since like 2006. Not using adblock?

Think the T2L tour was generally considered good (not without it’s missteps obvs). Renewed energy from the band, longer sets, the odd rarity comeback, great tones and vocals. It’s more the record that’s flabbergastingly shet.

It's nice to not have a controversial opinion on here for once! ;)

I just can't listen to Dig Down as it just doesn't get going, but really like Thought Contagion - in fact, my 8 year old who is obsessed with Muse has covered it on YouTube. He keeps running off and singing and playing in his room over and over. Thats a good sign! Share the video if you could as one day we hope Matt or Dom or Chris will see him - hi is utterly Muse daft!