Claudia O

Do you like Thought Contagion?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Thought Contagion?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Better than DD
    • Forget it...

Honestly the reason they didn't commit was because Knights is still the superior closer. It might be overdone at this point, but it still closes a show way more effectively than Reapers and Survival...based on what I've seen on youtube. Sorry, haven't seen a Muse show since 2009.

I’d say Survival is easily > a tired Knights tbh. Reapers w/ an old Stockholm riffout would be immense as well imo.

Take A Bow remains their best closer. Even more so after a drop-d riff-fest.

Micro Cuts > SS > TaB at Wembley was perfection. Throw Dead Star in before MC too and you have peak encore.

You’ve written this exact post so many times :LOL:

TaB is nuts, but it's hard to beat the audience engagement during Knights. It's like when Biffy ends with Mountains or Modest Mouse on Float On; not my favourite tracks in either bands discography, but the vibe is a great way to go out on.

Bliss or PIB would give better vibes.

Tbh it’s gotten to the point where even casuals know MWAH+Knights closes every gig and that ain’t a good vibe at all to me. There’s been a fair few times in recent years where I’ve heard stuff like “is that it?” “nah they’ve gotta do knights of cydonia with the harmonica” in crowds and only half-hearted cheers that sound like semi-groans at the first harmonica note, where there used to be tension and a big cheer for Knights’ opening trill. I legit feel like I rarely even hear people cheer at the start of Knights anymore ‘cos they’ve known what’s been coming for the last 2 minutes and that it means the end of the gig, it just feels kinda flat when it lands.

PiB would be so much more of a "is this it?" vibe. I really liked how they ended the Paris show. Stockholm but then just adding on the extra songs afterwards. It's not the epic sing-a-long of Knights but it goes crazy.

I don't really mind predictable closers either even if I might prefer some variety. I know QOTSA will keep ending with the same song but that just kinda hypes it up to go all out for the finale. I would at least like more variety in the encore as a whole. I like the feeling of knowing you're on the last few minutes but I don't like knowing 5 songs before what's coming up. I remember in 2010 messaging my mother as Exo Pt. 1 started that I'd be out in 3 more songs.

PiB would be so much more of a "is this it?" vibe.

Only ‘cos we’ve been conditioned to midset PIB for so long. Actual ‘00s classic, big bouncy riff, massive singalong chorus, feel-good vibes, big climactic solo/rockout finale - garuantee it works if they try it.

Not a proper closer by any means, but another song I would see very well with a "live coda" is Panic Station: instead of ending with the bass line from the beginning, they might turn the melody of the bridge between the first chorus and the second block of verses into a heavy, smashing funk rock riff to end the song.

Just like they pick the Uprising solo up again to extend the song itself.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Plug in Baby works more for the main set than an outright closer IMO. Although of the Origin singles, Bliss is a better closer.

Obvs but I’m just saying it could be a workable option because fuck Knights.

Also this has taken a dual thread tangent from me wanting a new closer from LP8 but to definitively settle this: Bliss > Take A Bow > Stockholm > Showbiz > New Born > Knights (Prime) > Survival > Plug In Baby > Agitated > Micro Cuts > Reapers > Do We Need This > Hate This & I’ll Love You > Yes Please > Knights (Current) > Uprising > The Small Print > Time Is Running Out > Uno > Starlight > Mercy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...