Claudia O

Do you like Thought Contagion?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Thought Contagion?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Better than DD
    • Forget it...

I've gone from genuinely enjoying TC to giving or taking it. For what it's worth, a lot of my non-Muse fan friends have texted me to tell me how much they like the new Muse single. I know "mass appeal" is a bad word around these parts but maybe it's a good gateway song??

The live performance has swung me on it tbh, hope future ones keep up that energy.

Mass appeal ain’t a dirty phrase I don’t think, who cares how accessible a song is to casual listeners? Only starts to become a bad thing when you actively sacrifice your own artistic integrity to achieve that (which isn’t what Muse have done/are doing imo).

Edited by Jobby

I've gone from genuinely enjoying TC to giving or taking it. For what it's worth, a lot of my non-Muse fan friends have texted me to tell me how much they like the new Muse single. I know "mass appeal" is a bad word around these parts but maybe it's a good gateway song??

Mass appeal isn't a bad thing on its own, though.

I just don't see the point getting excited about Muse gaining more mainstream popularity if that means they keep making songs I don't like. If they're enjoying themselves, more power to them, but what kind of "gateway" is it, really?

It's not like the mainstream is going to get into TC and then suddenly everyone's into CE, or Fury or something. I don't think it's going to lead to the band's other material clicking with people.

Heck, we saw that with Madness; they struck gold with that song and then there wasn't anything else on T2L that appealed to those same fans, and the attention died off. And it sounds like they're doing something similar this time around.

I hear it a couple times a day on the radio at work, but I don't know how widespread even that is. The station's pretty much wall to wall Imagine Dragons with some other similar stuff thrown in. :chuckle:

I don't think it's really caught on huge, but it's out there more than a lot of their stuff was other than Madness.

It doesn't really seem to compete well with the other songs in the same genre.

Mass appeal isn't a bad thing on its own, though.

I just don't see the point getting excited about Muse gaining more mainstream popularity if that means they keep making songs I don't like. If they're enjoying themselves, more power to them, but what kind of "gateway" is it, really?

It's not like the mainstream is going to get into TC and then suddenly everyone's into CE, or Fury or something. I don't think it's going to lead to the band's other material clicking with people.

I don't disagree with you but that was basically my experience with the band. Granted, BH&R is generally looked on favorably but Starlight isn't really the most representative of classic Muse. Nevertheless, that was the song that got my attention more so than other songs of theirs that I had heard. Here we are a decade later and OoS is my favorite album. I may be the exception but sometimes I think people just need the right song to convince them to give a band a real shot.

From Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgM73RxMKMo

Never has a three-minute song sounded so long.

Am a bit worried that it's going to be a thing from now on that every time a new single comes out, it becomes the set opener. Classic :logic: to go 'yeah, Fury would have worked dreadfully as an opening song, so it never opened gigs, but sure let's have "Fury 2.0" as an opener now that it's been released". Same kinda thing with Dig Down (Madness never opened gigs for a reason...)

Do the guys actually remember anything that ever happened from before 2009 or is it all just a big blur to them?

Am a bit worried that it's going to be a thing from now on that every time a new single comes out, it becomes the set opener. Classic :logic: to go 'yeah, Fury would have worked dreadfully as an opening song, so it never opened gigs, but sure let's have "Fury 2.0" as an opener now that it's been released". Same kinda thing with Dig Down (Madness never opened gigs for a reason...)

It’s always been the thing that they open with something current tbf. Atm that just happens to be each of these singles but I imagine they’ll shift to whatever’s more fitting once the full record’s out.

I think they both work fine as opener’s tbh, TC miles better than DD but still.

I think they both work fine as opener’s tbh, TC miles better than DD but still.

If it's true that the new album is going to have a heavier track than TC, I can see it being the new opener, with TC itself becoming the second track and DD being moved in the first "chill out zone" of the gig.

Having a more "atmospheric" song with a crescendo in its final part would be ideal, though.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Just rotate KOC with Stockholm and Survival, and we're good. Because I doubt we're going to get an apt closer with this album.

People have been saying that for nigh 10 years tho and it ain’t happened. Other than Starlight’s brief stint and 1 or 2 uses of SS, the only time we’ve had a respite from Knights in the last 10 years is when there’s been a new song to take over (Survival + Reapers) but they never fully committed to either.

Honestly the reason they didn't commit was because Knights is still the superior closer. It might be overdone at this point, but it still closes a show way more effectively than Reapers and Survival...based on what I've seen on youtube. Sorry, haven't seen a Muse show since 2009.

Survival as a closer with Knights midset worked really well at Shepherd's Bush in 2013. But then one can imagine it being a track that really takes it out of you vocally if you're doing every night though, especially if its at the end.

Maybe that musical its appearing in might revive its popularity. I'd rather have it as a reminder of T2L than Madness, mind.

A new closer would be a good thing though.