"dildrone"? :O

:chuckle:

It amused me when some people wrote that on setlist.fm.

Yeah, Detroit tore one up pretty easily.

Several gigs tore up some of the white orbs, too.

Detroit tore up everything didn't it?

Likewise for all the "the crowd was lame" complaining. Have we really come to a point where we can't just enjoy our damn selves without worrying about what everyone else is doing? Should we hand out flyers to remind everyone what "enjoying yourself" properly looks like?

I always find myself gazing around and seeing what people make of things. Just to measure the vibe. I'm happy enough being unrestrained though, but a rough and ready crowd for some reason does make shit feel more fun. IMO.

But yeah, great show as per usual and I still enjoyed it. But when your the only one jumping to 'Plug in Baby', its a tad awkward because your annoying everyone else.

That's usually our cue to move around and find the biggest mosh pit. There's normally a couple big ones around the arena. Problem is with this 360 stage set up it's going to be harder to move around for instance from one side to the other, and going to create more smaller pockets rather than one or two big free-for-alls that I really love.

It can be risky for a vocalist, though. Vocal range can be changed as a result and the ability to sustain notes can be damaged (although this is kind of already the case for Matt).
Yeah ofc, but I'd say it's a far better choice to do it. Interestingly enough, Adele's range actually got wider after her operation(s?).

All the crowds are like that; there's pockets of people jumping around, but unless they arrived together or coordinated, they're spread double the length of the arena.

I'm a bit shocked the band didn't realize this would, or had, happened.

Another thing about the videos, is you're typically looking at the crowd that is currently in the "back" of the stage.

I actually felt awkward clapping at the end of songs when not a soul in the band was facing me, so I can imagine it's a bit of an energy killer all around.

People at my gigs got more jumpy and screamy when Matt was facing them, but that only happened a handful of times the entire gig where we were standing.

I really hope this tour is the end of the 360 stage; it wasn't worth it at all.

People need to chill on the crowds imo. Firstly, there's multiple factors at play that they aren't to blame for:

- The stage and production thins and separates the crowd, which clearly has an effect on the group mentality of sing-alongs and moshing. The big 360 stage also means that people who would normally be closer to the back (and therefore probably less bothered about jumping around) find themselves much further forward. With the band having to move around and cover much more space than usual as well, a lot of people might get distracted from jumping by trying to follow Matt and Chris.

- As for people on the barrier, it's fairly common for people to get there just to use the rail to rest on, sometimes for health reasons. You might advise choosing seated to those people instead but circumstances can vary and, ultimately, it's their choice and money. Others might also have been dragged there by partners/kids/friends who are more into the band than them.

Secondly, there's the simple fact that different people enjoy gigs differently. There is no 'right' or 'good' way, as long as you're being respectful to the band and people around you.

If jumping around's your thing, cool, feel free (as long as you're not being a dick to the people around you obvs). If you'd prefer to be around other people who are doing the same, try to go to a meetup beforehand or look for a more energetic pocket in the crowd and make your way towards them during the gig. There's no need to have a go at other people just because they prefer to watch though.

The crowd thinning is the key factor here - humans usually conform to a herd mentality. If there is a much smaller mass of people doing a certain thing, it doesn't spread so effectively, it's not so infectious.

Point stands though that there are accepted practices and customs at gigs, one of those being if you're in the first 10-15 rows, it could get rowdy. If that's not your bag, don't go there. I can't think anyone would be naive enough not to know what to expect (traditionally) at a gig like Muse.

I guess you just get crowds that, on a gig-by-gig basis, are not going to be the same. Not that its the case of "standard shit Birmingham crowd", as I saw on a YouTube comment page from vids of this one. Its not quite as bad as some gigs where nobody's doing anything in the crowd, but its hardly outstanding or memorable.

Guess we'll see if there's any difference in Dublin on Tuesday when this reverts to an end-stage production.

I was at Chvrches last night. I wanted to jump about like the group nearer the front; but because the people around me weren't, I didn't incase I 1. Knocked them over and 2. Didn't wanna look stupid. As soon they started, I did too. Same with singing along. I'd imagine it's the same for Muse with this stage, and the crowd spread is definitely a factor

I was at Chvrches last night. I wanted to jump about like the group nearer the front; but because the people around me weren't, I didn't incase I 1. Knocked them over and 2. Didn't wanna look stupid. As soon they started, I did too. Same with singing along. I'd imagine it's the same for Muse with this stage, and the crowd spread is definitely a factor

I went to the Chvrches gig at Royal Albert Hall. Had to get through to the front because again the crowds are dead. As you walk through the crowd to get to the jumpers people stop and have a go at you for "getting in front of them" so what are we suppose to do?

U2 had a very similar stage set up and audience participation was fine- think last night was just typical of what you get at the NIA/NEC ( certainly typical of what I've seen before anyway at those 2 venues)

They only/mostly did it in stadiums though, right? So that's obviously different, a lot more people so you don't get the issue of the thin crowds.

They only/mostly did it in stadiums though, right? So that's obviously different, a lot more people so you don't get the issue of the thin crowds.

U2's last tour was in arenas (my gig was at the O2). I was expecting a pretty dead vibe but the first 4 songs were rather jumpy and really fun. Lots of people singing along - even to the new shit - and the crowd was really good, although it got a bit less bouncey the longer the gig went on. Even when they did 3 songs on a B-stage fucking miles away, the crowd was still fun - there was a good bit of jumping and singing during Mysterious Ways & Elevation even though from where I was, I was basically seeing them on a screen.

U2's last tour was in arenas (my gig was at the O2). I was expecting a pretty dead vibe but the first 4 songs were rather jumpy and really fun. Lots of people singing along - even to the new shit - and the crowd was really good, although it got a bit less bouncey the longer the gig went on. Even when they did 3 songs on a B-stage fucking miles away, the crowd was still fun - there was a good bit of jumping and singing during Mysterious Ways & Elevation even though from where I was, I was basically seeing them on a screen.
Fair enough.

I'm quite curious to see how much of the floor space this stage takes in the o2, this will be my first time watching muse while seated, in block 103 of the o2 come the 11th.

Secondly, there's the simple fact that different people enjoy gigs differently. There is no 'right' or 'good' way, as long as you're being respectful to the band and people around you.

Agreed, as long as you're not being a dick and doing something as selfish as smoking weed next to others, like some were at the Ricoh gig.

I've never been one for jumping around or singing along, I'm usually listening. This doesn't enhance my enjoyment of something.

Having seen my first few gigs where the best thing you could record something on had the resolution of a potato (think I had a Sony Erricson T610) on BHAR tour lol, I still don't understand why people watch gigs through their screen. Live the moment, you don't need to prove your existence by recording and documenting something.

The crowd thinning is the key factor here - humans usually conform to a herd mentality. If there is a much smaller mass of people doing a certain thing, it doesn't spread so effectively, it's not so infectious.

Point stands though that there are accepted practices and customs at gigs, one of those being if you're in the first 10-15 rows, it could get rowdy. If that's not your bag, don't go there. I can't think anyone would be naive enough not to know what to expect (traditionally) at a gig like Muse.

Those types of crowds haven't been a thing in the US for the major part in a long, long time, so it really depends on where you're at.

And don't forget that Muse has been promoting themselves as a "live spectacle" and a pop band for the better part of a decade.

If people don't think the type of crowd that attracts is going to change, they're the naïve ones.

I haven't exactly seen anyone up close this tour complaining it was too rowdy.

As for an example of just how big and spread out it is, I was second from barrier behind the VIPs, and the people behind us and next to us on the catwalk side arrived after the opening act.

Then they should get seats or watch it on YouTube... ridiculous statement to make.

And I'm sure some people who enjoy the gig by watching carefully and paying attention think you should just go scream and jump around somewhere else and not disturb their ability to watch a gig they paid for.

What a completely ignorant thing to say.

I'm quite curious to see how much of the floor space this stage takes in the o2, this will be my first time watching muse while seated, in block 103 of the o2 come the 11th.

Agreed, as long as you're not being a dick and doing something as selfish as smoking weed next to others, like some were at the Ricoh gig.

Guess we'll find out tonight.

The worst I've seen was during Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park, and some people I wound up near were inhaling nitrous oxide from balloons and throwing the pins it came in, and there were also smoke flares being thrown as well as the usual piss/beer. That was a really fucked up vibe.