I'm quite curious to see how much of the floor space this stage takes in the o2, this will be my first time watching muse while seated, in block 103 of the o2 come the 11th.

It does look fuller than other gigs, doesn't it?

People need to chill on the crowds imo. Firstly, there's multiple factors at play that they aren't to blame for:

- The stage and production thins and separates the crowd, which clearly has an effect on the group mentality of sing-alongs and moshing. The big 360 stage also means that people who would normally be closer to the back (and therefore probably less bothered about jumping around) find themselves much further forward. With the band having to move around and cover much more space than usual as well, a lot of people might get distracted from jumping by trying to follow Matt and Chris.

- As for people on the barrier, it's fairly common for people to get there just to use the rail to rest on, sometimes for health reasons. You might advise choosing seated to those people instead but circumstances can vary and, ultimately, it's their choice and money. Others might also have been dragged there by partners/kids/friends who are more into the band than them.

Secondly, there's the simple fact that different people enjoy gigs differently. There is no 'right' or 'good' way, as long as you're being respectful to the band and people around you.

If jumping around's your thing, cool, feel free (as long as you're not being a dick to the people around you obvs). If you'd prefer to be around other people who are doing the same, try to go to a meetup beforehand or look for a more energetic pocket in the crowd and make your way towards them during the gig. There's no need to have a go at other people just because they prefer to watch though.

Word. I wasnt jumping too much at Birmingham, i was taking everything in and singing along. We bounced a bit during pib and koc, and i went mental when i popped my CE cherry, but there was so much happening on the production front. I think a vast amount of the audience felt the same way, we all had a whale of a time however, so who gives a fuck how people enjoy their gig. We are not all drones, after all.

Guess we'll find out tonight.

The worst I've seen was during Arctic Monkeys at Finsbury Park, and some people I wound up near were inhaling nitrous oxide from balloons and throwing the pins it came in, and there were also smoke flares being thrown as well as the usual piss/beer. That was a really fucked up vibe.

That's most festivals though

I went to the Chvrches gig at Royal Albert Hall. Had to get through to the front because again the crowds are dead. As you walk through the crowd to get to the jumpers people stop and have a go at you for "getting in front of them" so what are we suppose to do?

Get there earlier duh

And don't forget that Muse has been promoting themselves as a "live spectacle" and a pop band for the better part of a decade.

If people don't think the type of crowd that attracts is going to change, they're the naïve ones.

Live spectacle yes, but pop band? Sure, they've had some big pop-rock hits, but I don't think they're promoting themselves as a pop band and stuff like yesterday doesn't seem like that either. And yes, the crowds attracted changed a bit, but, in reference to what Clunge said, with a normal end stage you could still count on the front being energetic, and it would indeed be naive to expect something different (talking about Europe here). As said before, it's only this stage which is making it harder for the energetic parts of the crowd to find each other.

I went to the Chvrches gig at Royal Albert Hall. Had to get through to the front because again the crowds are dead. As you walk through the crowd to get to the jumpers people stop and have a go at you for "getting in front of them" so what are we suppose to do?

lol I can't believe I missed this. Have you never been to a gig before?

I mean you clearly have which makes this so weird. Are you not aware that people queue for hours to get a spot at the front? Which is why the front is where most of the action is. The further back you get, the more people you'll find who just don't really care about the band, aren't interested in the whole jumping and singing thing, or just can't physically be there. That you didn't care enough to queue is your own choice, and getting in front of people who did because you don't know what you're supposed to do just makes you a douche.

Live spectacle yes, but pop band? Sure, they've had some big pop-rock hits, but I don't think they're promoting themselves as a pop band and stuff like yesterday doesn't seem like that either. And yes, the crowds attracted changed a bit, but, in reference to what Clunge said, with a normal end stage you could still count on the front being energetic, and it would indeed be naive to expect something different (talking about Europe here). As said before, it's only this stage which is making it harder for the energetic parts of the crowd to find each other.

They've been pushing pop singles to the radio since '06, and it's gotten more prominent with each album.

Reapers was a fluke, and never meant to be released.

you're the kind of person I hate the most. Rethink your life, you **** ****.

Edited by Matthijs
removed swearing

They've been pushing pop singles to the radio since '06, and it's gotten more prominent with each album.

Reapers was a fluke, and never meant to be released.

Isn't it fairly constant since The Resistance? Anyway, I get what you're saying, maybe I'm just being over-sensitive about the term "pop band". It just kinda feels like we're talking about One Direction or something, and even though Muse' latest singles have mainly been promoting their poppier side, neither those singles, nor their albums or their gigs represent something like that. Apart from that, I think what they're promoting themselves as isn't all down to what singles they release, but it's also about the their gigs for example.

Isn't it fairly constant since The Resistance? Anyway, I get what you're saying, maybe I'm just being over-sensitive about the term "pop band". It just kinda feels like we're talking about One Direction or something, and even though Muse' latest singles have mainly been promoting their poppier side, neither those singles, nor their albums or their gigs represent something like that. Apart from that, I think what they're promoting themselves as isn't all down to what singles they release, but it's also about the their gigs for example.
Muse write a lot of pop music. That you only think of One Direction when you hear pop says more about you than anything else. The Beatles, ABBA, Elton John, Prince, Michael Jackson are all pop (some with rock influences ofc. And The Beatles did a lot more than just pop)

And you're missing the point. Yes their live shows are promotion, that's basically what Muse have been most known for...in the past. But since the start of this tour, Muse have been complaining about how they have to play just the pop songs or else the crowds will get bored. Sadly they only have themselves to blame, considering they've been, like Serpent says, almost only promoting pop songs since 2006. When you get famous for songs like Supermassive Black Hole, Neutron Star Collision, Starlight, Madness, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy and Dead Inside, then that's what people will expect when going to your gigs.

And their gigs HAVE been heavily reliant on their pop songs for ages now.

you're the kind of person I hate the most. Rethink your life, you dick head.

your a bigger ******, I got there plenty early enough. Then I go to the bar get a drink/toilet/smoke whatever. I'm not going to stand there like a ******* waiting inside the arena for 2 hours just because I might accidently get back in front of you after.

So rethink your life you sad ***** ****

Edited by Matthijs
removed swearing

lol I can't believe I missed this. Have you never been to a gig before?

I mean you clearly have which makes this so weird. Are you not aware that people queue for hours to get a spot at the front? Which is why the front is where most of the action is. The further back you get, the more people you'll find who just don't really care about the band, aren't interested in the whole jumping and singing thing, or just can't physically be there. That you didn't care enough to queue is your own choice, and getting in front of people who did because you don't know what you're supposed to do just makes you a douche.

Cant believe I missed this either. There is no name on the floor at a gig, not that I noticed anyway, I'm sure I'm free to stand where I want. So what if I get there earlier then go to the bar/toilet? your a douche thinking your more entitled to a spot than I am.

Pretty clearly whoever gets there first gets to do whatever in that spot even if it's just standing.

And if you go to the bar and don't have people that will let you back, that's a personal choice, too.

For the last year I've had to piss every hour, and I've not once had a hard time getting back to my spot when people recognized my having come from there.

I wouldn't have expected the same treatment if I was wandering around drinking and couldn't be assed to stand and keep my spot.

your a bigger ****** , I got there plenty early enough. Then I go to the bar get a drink/toilet/smoke whatever. I'm not going to stand there like a ****** waiting inside the arena for 2 hours just because I might accidently get back in front of you after.

So rethink your life you sad ****** ****

It doesn't seem surprising that people don't want you appearing in front of them - seems like you are getting what you dish out. If you go back to your original spot then the people around you will let you back in with good grace BUT you need some basic manners. There are plenty of posts on here to explain to you what those manners are.

Edited by Matthijs

Cant believe I missed this either. There is no name on the floor at a gig, not that I noticed anyway, I'm sure I'm free to stand where I want. So what if I get there earlier then go to the bar/toilet? your a douche thinking your more entitled to a spot than I am.
Do you apply the same logic to queues? Doesn't matter if people have been there longer than you, they're not more entitled to be at the front than you are.

Oh wait, there is no name on the floor, so obviously all other social rules are invalid. Top notch logic.

Edited by Tjet

Muse write a lot of pop music. That you only think of One Direction when you hear pop says more about you than anything else. The Beatles, ABBA, Elton John, Prince, Michael Jackson are all pop (some with rock influences ofc. And The Beatles did a lot more than just pop)

Hehe, I probably should've phrased that one more careful, or not tried to argue at all: On the one side, I'm aware that Muse write a lot of pop music and that the definition of pop is very broad. However, I'm sometimes a bit weird with genres (hence the "over-sensitive"), and so when I stumbled upon "pop band" my brain somehow immediately associated it with such a band as the one I named (even though by definition that's wrong) and thus I started the argument. So yea, for some reason "pop band" has a negative connotation in my brain, that's about all that it's saying about me.

And you're missing the point. Yes their live shows are promotion, that's basically what Muse have been most known for...in the past. But since the start of this tour, Muse have been complaining about how they have to play just the pop songs or else the crowds will get bored. Sadly they only have themselves to blame, considering they've been, like Serpent says, almost only promoting pop songs since 2006. When you get famous for songs like Supermassive Black Hole, Neutron Star Collision, Starlight, Madness, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy and Dead Inside, then that's what people will expect when going to your gigs.

I think that is mainly restricted to America though, isn't it (I mean them complaining about having to play just the pop songs)? I wasn't sure whether Serpent was commenting on the US only, or everywhere. If this was her point and it was considering the US, then I guess I agree.

Edited by fam201

It doesn't seem surprising that people don't want you appearing in front of them - seems like you are getting what you dish out. If you go back to your original spot then the people around you will let you back in with good grace BUT you need some basic manners. There are plenty of posts on here to explain to you what those manners are.

Quite clearly not, because I just tell them to shut up, and guess what they do nothing! Because just like you they are epic keyboard warriors with no balls.