11047_original.jpg

Completely unrelated to the current discussion, but relating back to the discussion that they're not enjoying themselves, Matt and Dom seem to be enjoying themselves. But this is one picture so I'm probably wrong. :LOL:

I'd say videos are a better indication than pictures, but I suppose it would still be unlikely to get a photo at the exact moment Dom is smiling. :chuckle:

Maybe people are being hyperbolic, but I don't think anyone believes EVERY show has been bad as far as the band's enthusiasm goes.

I only saw two, back to back, in the US even, and they were night and day. I mean, I didn't see Dom crack a smile, but I'm not going to push my luck. :LOL:

It's more just that the really bad ones should be outliers more than they are, if they have to happen at all. Someone is terribly ill, or something, I guess.

I like to have the illusion that the band I'm paying to see doesn't hate what they're doing, and if I'd only seen Philly, that's exactly the impression I would have had.

Just fake it, or something, dammit.

And I guess I'm of the opinion that the more they rely on the big flashy show, the less it becomes about the performance, and you can get these gigs where they aren't feeling it more and more, and well, people aren't going to notice, so why bother?

The reviews clearly universally focus on the theatrics, and I'm sure a very solid portion of the crowd does, too.

I know I'm just sour about all this because of the schism between how much I've adored their music, but increasingly hated watching the gigs become a circus.

TR and T2L at least you could tell they were writing music with the show in mind, but with Drones, there's such a disconnect between the music and the stage show, to me. Seeing those small gigs and not being able to attend was also horribly heartbreaking.

(But they still were really a bunch of downers in Philly. :p )

Quite clearly not, because I just tell them to shut up, and guess what they do nothing! Because just like you they are epic keyboard warriors with no balls.

If any of this is actually true, you and all the other entitled punters who think they enjoyment comes first over everyone else's are the worst part of every gig. Want to get to the front? Have some self control and cue like everyone else.

I'm not a social person at all. At least not on a "real" level; I work with hundreds of people a day at work, but it's purely business. And fake. I keep to myself most of the time irl.

My boyfriend is worse; he refers to The Globalist as "the good ending."

Yet, knowing I'm going to have to leave my spot at gigs to pee, I socialize with my floor neighbors. Make sure everyone knows me, and that I was there. I'm nice to them.

We reshuffled a bunch of short girls so they were in front of my bf and could see. We helped people back up to their spots after THEY had to pee. (Not if they got bored and tried to force their way back up after the opening act was over after being gone the entire time...)

And I've not had a single problem getting back to my spot; even near barrier, with the exception of Denver.

Even there, strangers who remembered me were eventually able to get me back into my spot, and the assholes who told me if I left to piss that they wouldn't let me back ended up pushed back quite a few rows.

And when those cocks that thought they could barge in front of us after not being there the whole time showed up, everyone worked together to block them, and tell THEM to "shut the fuck up" and piss off.

Weren't you supposed to be going? Also, it's not a huge deal since they've played it recently. Not like Showbiz is being pulled out of nowhere.

Still not convinced.

Yeah I was supposed to but after the venue change I wasn't bothered.

According to people who were at the football game tonight, Chris and Glen said Assassin is being played at Belfast.

:awesome:. I'm pretty sure that if it does happen in Belfast, it'll also pop up in London.

UK press reviews:

4/5 in the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/muse-rocked-the-o2---but-will-glastonbury-want-more---review/

4/5 in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/04/muse-review-o2-arena-london

4/5 in the Evening Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/muse-tour-review-thrilling-theatrical-and-technically-flawless-a3217281.html

5/5 in the Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/muse-o2-arena-london-gig-review-a-jaw-dropping-extravaganza-a6967291.html

Seems to be getting good reviews, although the Telegraph do highlight from the bat the "over-ambitious" stage and "lackluster crowd". They were way more positive about the Electric Ballroom gig.

The Telegraph review even includes the stage problem discussed on here in a nutshell :):

Although the audience were able to get close to the jagged stage, they were split into rows just 10 deep in many places. Rather than everyone being swept along in a sense of collective delirium, pockets of die-hard fans wound up moshing alongside people intent on standing still.

And I guess I'm of the opinion that the more they rely on the big flashy show, the less it becomes about the performance, and you can get these gigs where they aren't feeling it more and more, and well, people aren't going to notice, so why bother?

The reviews clearly universally focus on the theatrics, and I'm sure a very solid portion of the crowd does, too.

I know I'm just sour about all this because of the schism between how much I've adored their music, but increasingly hated watching the gigs become a circus.

TR and T2L at least you could tell they were writing music with the show in mind, but with Drones, there's such a disconnect between the music and the stage show, to me. Seeing those small gigs and not being able to attend was also horribly heartbreaking.

(But they still were really a bunch of downers in Philly. :p )

Like you I also much prefer the small gigs and I've seen Muse about 60 times since 2003. I was lucky to get to three of the Psycho gigs last year, and I totally get your disappointment in not being able to. So I didn't really have high expectations for the arena tour bec of the size, staging, likely setlist etc. But I unexpectedly enjoyed the 'show' at the O2 whilst also singing and bouncing till I was sore. And I think the show enhances the album theme. They've taken a risk by doing the Globalist live, and good on them. And the setlist was better than I hoped (although I missed PIB, don't think I'll ever get tired of it). I went for a wee during Meh Madness.

I do agree that the staging disperses the energetic elements of the standing crowd into little groups around the floor, but it also brings the whole arena more into one, rather than having a front rammed half and a half-empty back half (the security set up also seemed to cut out those wankers who think they can barge in from the back whenever they like). I'd say Matt and Chris bust a gut running/strutting up and down the length of that arena, trying to play to everyone.