And anyone justifying it with the "well, they tried" or "some shows got good sets" are kind of missing the point.

Certain fans get special treatment for living in certain places (Japan) or going to certain shows (Download/Reading/UK Stadium Shows, etc.) and it's complete bullshit for the people who aren't going to fly half way across the world to see a handful of songs that they shouldn't have to travel that far to see anyway.

Playing the songs at small gigs, like Matt said about Showbiz, rather pisses me off, too (as well as any fan that uses "well, you should have gone to the Psycho Tour" as an excuse.)

Playing special, fan request songs at gigs where demand far outweighs number of tickets... And doing NOTHING to ensure that gig is packed with the sort of fan who wants to see those kinds of songs, but instead selling tickets like a regular gig.

How many of those French fans Tweeting about Showbiz would even be able to get into this hypothetical small gig?

The inconsistency of their sets really does baffle me sometimes. I'm honestly wondering if they legitimately think that all of the fans like all of their songs and that it doesn't really matter what they play.

The problem is they clearly seem to know which songs the hardcore fans love hearing, they just refuse to throw them a bone most of the time for some reason.

The inconsistency of their sets really does baffle me sometimes. I'm honestly wondering if they legitimately think that all of the fans like all of their songs and that it doesn't really matter what they play.

It's inconceivable that they don't know.

They see the requests, they've talked about it.

What's devistating is how they could throw in five of those songs one gig, and none the next. Maybe one if you're lucky.

It became obvious the US got shafted intentionally, but I couldn't guess wtf is going on now.

It's inconceivable that they don't know.

They see the requests, they've talked about it.

What's devistating is how they could throw in five of those songs one gig, and none the next. Maybe one if you're lucky.

It became obvious the US got shafted intentionally, but I couldn't guess wtf is going on now.

I can kind of understand - from a Muse point of view, from a fan point of view it annoys me because Bliss > PiB - the Bliss/PiB rotation as they're both OoS singles and CE/AP is fair enough but Map and TaB out for UD and Resistance? You're having a laugh. Also, as much as I like Hysteria on the album, rotating it with Stockholm these days just doesn't work. Hysteria's gotten so 'robotic' live from what I've seen of the videos while Stockholm still sounds like an absolute beast. At least Reapers is sticking around I guess.

I guess I'd be understanding if I could truly believe they thought UD was a good trade for TaB, or were totally unaware of fans begging for certain, consistent songs.

But they're not.

And they're giving those songs, and several of them, to individual gigs, for some reason.

Members of the crew pushed Matt to play CE after agreeing to the request, and he chose not to. That still really rubs me the wrong way.

Why not just ignore the sign like all the others? Same with Brussels.

Don't put up set list polls if you're going to ignore them.

Just say "I don't feel comfortable playing Showbiz" if you have to say something? I dunno.

I guess I'd be understanding if I could truly believe they thought UD was a good trade for TaB, or were totally unaware of fans begging for certain, consistent songs.

But they're not.

And they're giving those songs, and several of them, to individual gigs, for some reason.

Members of the crew pushed Matt to play CE after agreeing to the request, and he chose not to. That still really rubs me the wrong way.

Why not just ignore the sign like all the others? Same with Brussels.

Don't put up set list polls if you're going to ignore them.

Just say "I don't feel comfortable playing Showbiz" if you have to say something? I dunno.

On this note, I'd be okay with Matt's statement in that interview about not liking on-stage banter, but it's clear that he doesn't like to interact with fans period honestly. At least when it comes down to him "owing" something to them, he's definitely out of touch there.

Right long story short:

I dont even know. I probably wouldve been okay with that set if last night hadnt been 3785647856475664 times better than it. Literally everything about yesterdays gig was better. Matt, Chris and Dom even looked less happy and there was much, much less banter going on between them.

Very interesting note, on the bottom of tonights set it said "3arena Dublin, april 5th", so were assuming tonights set was originally meant for yesterday.

Got some plectrums from Glen though, that was nice.

fucking sickened about assassin

Very interesting note, on the bottom of tonights set it said "3arena Dublin, april 5th", so were assuming tonights set was originally meant for yesterday.

So 2nd night syndrome remains true then, even if it isn't actually on the 2nd night. Very metaphysical.

Wonder what's caused the apparent 180 of their stance towards requests and promises. I mean, obvs they've backed out of stuff before but I can't remember it ever being anywhere near this consistent (not counting the 2010 setlist polls) and there was usually at least some kind of reason for it iirc.

Maybe since the tour's started and they've realised what's happened to the crowds, they want to keep the songs as 'known' as possible? Hence only promising Showbiz to a smaller gig instead, assuming that wasn't just a fib to get out of playing it altogether. Idk, doesn't 100% make sense but I can't think of any other reason to pretty much unanimously cancel stuff.

Wonder what's caused the apparent 180 of their stance towards requests and promises. I mean, obvs they've backed out of stuff before but I can't remember it ever being anywhere near this consistent (not counting the 2010 setlist polls) and there was usually at least some kind of reason for it iirc.

Maybe since the tour's started and they've realised what's happened to the crowds, they want to keep the songs as 'known' as possible? Hence only promising Showbiz to a smaller gig instead, assuming that wasn't just a fib to get out of playing it altogether. Idk, doesn't 100% make sense but I can't think of any other reason to pretty much unanimously cancel stuff.

They don't care.

On this note, I'd be okay with Matt's statement in that interview about not liking on-stage banter, but it's clear that he doesn't like to interact with fans period honestly. At least when it comes down to him "owing" something to them, he's definitely out of touch there.

I can easily see a situation where Bellamy is just so fucking awkward under pressure, based on his inability to formulate coherent sentences on stage or say something that doesn't sound dickish when he does, that he feels backed into a corner with some of these requests. Especially when fans meet him irl and he can't ignore what they said, or when they have an opportunity at gigs to really get in his face like the Brussels/Defector, etc.

You could say he feels, in the moment, that saying something is better than ignoring the fan, or seeming rude and saying "no," and he's not quick enough in those situations to just say "I don't know" "maybe" "I just don't feel anything for that song anymore/can't sing that song anymore/whatever." And so he just says yes, or blurts out the first city or country he could think of.

But then... follow through. It's typically just one damn song.

It's those cases where he tells a guy who's been to multiple gigs that they're going to play his request the next night; and he doesn't. Or tells someone they're going to debut (to the public, at least) a highly requested song like Defector, and he doesn't. Or plays an Assassin teaser, promises to play it next time, plays it at future gigs, and then doesn't play it at the gig he promised it to.

That's crushing, really.

It's also obviously going to be plastered all over the internet, and disappoint other fans, too, who expected it.

People might actually travel to those gigs, based on a promise to play a certain song...

Reading that Tom said they wanted to play CE for the Barclay's request, but "it wasn't up to him."

Those things kind of just point to...

They don't care.

Don't they? :(

No chance they'll play Assassin if they didn't even do it in the one place they said they would. Big let down.

At least Apocalypse Please is still in rotation, that UD/TaB rotation is utter rubbish though. Resistance is kinda meh live these days.

@LewisF. In Paris I believe? Hopefully it'll get played at one of the London dates.

It's those cases where he tells a guy who's been to multiple gigs that they're going to play his request the next night; and he doesn't. Or tells someone they're going to debut (to the public, at least) a highly requested song like Defector, and he doesn't. Or plays an Assassin teaser, promises to play it next time, plays it at future gigs, and then doesn't play it at the gig he promised it to.

That's crushing, really.

It's also obviously going to be plastered all over the internet, and disappoint other fans, too, who expected it.

People might actually travel to those gigs, based on a promise to play a certain song...

Reading that Tom said they wanted to play CE for the Barclay's request, but "it wasn't up to him."

I think half of this is also up to fans interpreting Matts statements all too positive. The 'next time' from Assassin obviously was for the next couple of gigs. From Matts perspective he delivered on the promise. He never made explicit what 'next time' he was referring to. It's the fans that have the hope/expectation he meant Belfast.

Just like the Defector/Brussels statement. The fan says: Play Defector!. Matt says: Brussels, we play in Brussels.

So the fan hopes/expects he'll play it in Brussels the next week. Whilst from Matts perspective he just meant to say that they've played it in Brussels already (last year).

Sure there's situations where they've just plain didn't deliver on their promises. But a part of it is also fan expectation/interpretation.

I think half of this is also up to fans interpreting Matts statements all too positive. The 'next time' from Assassin obviously was for the next couple of gigs. From Matts perspective he delivered on the promise. He never made explicit what 'next time' he was referring to. It's the fans that have the hope/expectation he meant Belfast.

Just like the Defector/Brussels statement. The fan says: Play Defector!. Matt says: Brussels, we play in Brussels.

So the fan hopes/expects he'll play it in Brussels the next week. Whilst from Matts perspective he just meant to say that they've played it in Brussels already (last year).

Sure there's situations where they've just plain didn't deliver on their promises. But a part of it is also fan expectation/interpretation.

So basically we're wrong for not assuming that Matt's an idiot. Because replying to a request with "We've already played it once in another country" is nothing short of idiocy.

Same with "we'll play it next time". Like it's been pointed out, this whole thing about requests being played one or several gigs later makes absolutely no sense.

I know it's Matt we're talking about but I don't think even he's daft enough to think 'next time' means 2 gigs later in another country. Plus there's the whole thing of Chris telling a fan it'd be played, though I guess we don't have confirmation on that. Even if he did, maybe it's just 'not up to him' like it was with Tom.

I find it hard to buy the whole 'they just don't care' thing as well considering they've been pretty good with stuff like this since the start of the T2L Tour, with only the odd exception here and there. This consistent cancelling/backing out of stuff seemed to start along with the world tour.

I know it's Matt we're talking about but I don't think even he's daft enough to think 'next time' means 2 gigs later in another country. Plus there's the whole thing of Chris telling a fan it'd be played, though I guess we don't have confirmation on that. Even if he did, maybe it's just 'not up to him' like it was with Tom.

I find it hard to buy the whole 'they just don't care' thing as well considering they've been pretty good with stuff like this since the start of the T2L Tour, with only the odd exception here and there. This consistent cancelling/backing out of stuff seemed to start along with the world tour.

I was just about to ask whether that Chris thing has been confirmed. If it has, then that + them apparently having soundchecked it a couple of times on the tour + the song not really being vocally challenging, which would give Matt a reason to veto last second if he wasn't feeling well = really leaves me baffled about last night.

And I agree with what you're saying about 'they don't care'. MM in South America being a prime example and a very similar case to Assassin.