2015.12.19 - Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA

AguanteRiver

Ok, lately I only read the board but now I have to speak.

40+ is old? and need to sit down? :LOL: I turn 40 next March, I def won't sit at a concert nor would the band ( who aren't that far away from 40 ) would sit on a chair playing the guitar, bass etc. lol ... nowadays 75+ is old for me, when I look at the generation 60+ I'd say they are more lively than some teens or twens :LOL: When I was younger, 60+ was oooolldd!

ok, go on...just had to say something, still :LOL::LOL::LOL:

He speaks with authority over things for which he has zero proof. He makes blanket statements as though they're fact. He has somehow taken a scientific census of the crowds. He thinks Chris singing lead is a good thing. He things Rage sucks. He keeps talking about hearing the click track--which is only in the band members' ears. He's got the randomly discriminatory facet to his posts.

This is truly admirable trolling.

He also complains about click tracks, making it obvious he doesn't understand them, what they do at all, or the fact that Muse, along with any other rock band that has any kind of show using modern staging has been using them longer than not in their career.

Complaining about the setlist of a band that is playing nearly their entire new album in the U.S. is also more evidence of idiocy and irony... since it's usually older people, the ones he's complaining about, that whine about old songs not getting played versus the focus on new material.

Blaming older people for low energy, referring to a generation that has been listening to heavier music than most of what is out there today, is just childish stupidity. The fact is that Los Angeles is well known for having low energy. It's full of industry people that get free tickets to any of these shows and only go just because. Muse actually is above average in LA due to the fans, but in general I do not get excited about seeing a show in LA as the energy is nearly always apathetic.

haha I love the comment 40 year olds need to stay out of the GA area!

First off, I really believe what happened at the Staples Center, is you have major class-ism in the LA - Area. A lot of those best seats were hogged up by wealthy people or people with family connections with Favor's from Radio Stations, media outlets to advertisers family members! I worked in Radio for years and I mean big corp stations to little city stations. The freebies that are given away to someone's niece of a a owner of a car dealer ship that spends a boat load of advertising at station would make your head spin. I am talking about tickets, limo and meeting the artist and side stage passes. And these spoiled kids expect it!

So I am pretty sure majority of those older Folks in GA at Staples center have ties to the concert industry or just have money to blow. So in general when you have jaded folks, it takes a lot for them to get excited! I don't think it has anything to do with age!

I am around the same age as MUSE, I do not act my age as far as it goes to having

fun, But I am not an asshole and nor do I act like a annoying drunk. My gf who is way younger then me laughs at how everyone is shocked at how old I am because I look

like I just turned 22.

But someone made a good point in this thread, some of the older acts Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Billy Joel, Metallica etc.. wipe the floor with a lot these younger groups. Sir Paul has done close to a 3 hour show on almost every date of his last tour! 3 HOURS! He's turning 74 this coming year!

haha I love the comment 40 year olds need to stay out of the GA area!

First off, I really believe what happened at the Staples Center, is you have major class-ism in the LA - Area. A lot of those best seats were hogged up by wealthy people or people with family connections with Favor's from Radio Stations, media outlets to advertisers family members! I worked in Radio for years and I mean big corp stations to little city stations. The freebies that are given away to someone's niece of a a owner of a car dealer ship that spends a boat load of advertising at station would make your head spin. I am talking about tickets, limo and meeting the artist and side stage passes. And these spoiled kids expect it!

So I am pretty sure majority of those older Folks in GA at Staples center have ties to the concert industry or just have money to blow. So in general when you have jaded folks, it takes a lot for them to get excited! I don't think it has anything to do with age!

I am around the same age as MUSE, I do not act my age as far as it goes to having

fun, But I am not an asshole and nor do I act like a annoying drunk. My gf who is way younger then me laughs at how everyone is shocked at how old I am because I look

like I just turned 22.

But someone made a good point in this thread, some of the older acts Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Billy Joel, Metallica etc.. wipe the floor with a lot these younger groups. Sir Paul has done close to a 3 hour show on almost every date of his last tour! 3 HOURS! He's turning 74 this coming year!

Yes!!!! And that s my point . If Paul can play for 3 hrs at 73 years old , there is no reason for muse to play that short of a show. That's embarrassing that they only place for 90 min, totally unacceptable !!'n

So, I'm 62, was on barrier for both Staples shows, and rocked hard enough that Morgan personally came down after the gig and handed me his cabasa. Jusy sayin'.

Hell to the yeah! That's what I'm talking about. I think my daughter saw your photo with it on one of our fellow Musers Facebook page. 👍 Congratulations. We were wondering how you managed to get it and she was actually going to ask on your photo.

This guy wishes he was getting 1/2 the experience some of us (many who are "too old to be in GA"😏) are having on this tour.

Hell to the yeah! That's what I'm talking about. I think my daughter saw your photo with it on one of our fellow Musers Facebook page. �� Congratulations. We were wondering how you managed to get it and she was actually going to ask on your photo.

This guy wishes he was getting 1/2 the experience some of us (many who are "too old to be in GA"��) are having on this tour.

It was mind-blowing: at the end of the gig, Morgan walked down the steps and right over to me and handed it to me! And no one knows of any other time when he has given one away! You can see it at the end of my video:

-- from about 3:50 on.

As for agism: take it and put it where the sun doesn't shine! Most of our jumping, fist-pumping barrier gang are over 40, some in their 50s and 60s, and we rock hard! My dear friend who received the hugs from Matthew and Dom in honor of her 140th Muse gig is in her 50s!

Edited by gocanux

It was mind-blowing: at the end of the gig, Morgan walked down the steps and right over to me and handed it to me! And no one knows of any other time when he has given one away! You can see it at the end of my video:

As for agism: take it and put it where the sun doesn't shine! Most of our jumping, fist-pumping barrier gang are over 40, some in their 50s and 60s, and we rock hard! My dear friend who received the hugs from Matthew and Dom in honor of her 140th Muse gig is in her 50s!

Oh, what a wonderful experience! I shared your video on twitter, hope you don't mind! Is your friend Catherine, who Muse played a special song for her 100th gig?

Edited by Claudia O.

That's awesome. Thank you for sharing. You guys were where my daughter and I had been going during Az, Oak, and the the first Staples show. We tried the other side for the first time during that show.

I know who you're referring to. Who does know who she is and has been queuing up Muse gigs!?! 😂 My daughter and I had been hanging out with Andrew off and on throughout the day from the Oakland show onward. We'll be at SD & Vegas too.

I seriously don't know what this guy's issue is. I'm 43 and have been against the barrier with my 18 year old rocking just as hard as she has. The age comments are ridiculous.

That's awesome. Thank you for sharing. You guys were where my daughter and I had been going during Az, Oak, and the the first Staples show. We tried the other side for the first time during that show.

I know who you're referring to. Who does know who she is and has been queuing up Muse gigs!?! 😂 My daughter and I had been hanging out with Andrew off and on throughout the day from the Oakland show onward. We'll be at SD & Vegas too.

I seriously don't know what this guy's issue is. I'm 43 and have been against the barrier with my 18 year old rocking just as hard as she has. The age comments are ridiculous.

They are not ridiculous , 5-6 people over a certain age who are energetic out of 1000 s??!! Still a very low percentage . And I have nothing against different demographics , my musical hero is 73, and he is still much cooler than young guys in younger bands.

However, generally speaking , fans over the age of 40 bring the energy level down because they prefer to sit. A lot of them prefer to sit because of health issues , such as back problems, knew problems etc... As they should.

Nothing wrong with that, cos everyone should enjoy themselves , it s just that at a rock concert, the show could suffer as a result of low energy crowd.

Oh, what a wonderful experience! I shared your video on twitter, hope you don't mind! Is your friend Catherine, who Muse played a special song for her 100th gig?

Yup, they played Fury for her in Pittsburgh on the last tour! The video is public on YouTube; no worries about sharing it!

However, generally speaking , fans over the age of 40 bring the energy level down because they prefer to sit. A lot of them prefer to sit because of health issues , such as back problems, knew problems etc... As they should.

Nothing wrong with that, cos everyone should enjoy themselves , it s just that at a rock concert, the show could suffer as a result of low energy crowd.

I would suggest those who wish to sit probably do so and decide to buy seats, an option that is pretty accessible to them as well as those 12, 22, 32 year-olds who may not wish to stand for whatever reason. Seeing as they are usually the first seats to sell out, I'm pretty sure everyone in GA has a desire to be there. But thanks for application as Energy Control Minister, perhaps you can check ID, health and fitness charts along with testosterone levels before anyone is admitted to GA.

I also attended both nights. What amazing shows! I was glad the Friday show started late because my flight from Denver to LAX was delayed over 3 hours due to aircraft maintenance. Lower bowl or club seats facing the main stage give the best views of the performance.

Musicianship: 5/5

Visuals/Stage Props: 5/5

Set-list: 4/5 (No Reapers on Friday, no rarities, could have played at least two more songs like Bliss or CE or AP)

Most memorable moments:

Reapers with the blackbird stealth dirigible flying around the arena (Saturday)

The Handler with the visual effects and holograms

The Globalist with myriad visuals on the screen curtains

Drones Intro with nine multi-coloured orbital balloon drones launching and flying around the arena

Supermassive Black Hole with the outer space visuals

The flying drones technology in the stage production involves computer software algorithms like those in an airplane flight plan with collision avoidance commands:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/102859/muse-world-tour-stage-details-interview-double-headed-arrow-drones

Edited by muse s'amuse

So just a few cents about set lengths here...

Firstly, I do wish Muse would play longer. I always wish they play longer. My single biggest complaint is that they are too short--but mostly because they have so much great music that they always leave me wanting more. This tour, I was hoping they'd finally break that 2 hour barrier. As it was, Friday's show was 1:47, and Saturday's was somewhere around that too (I forgot to keep exact track).

Wanting Muse to play longer is not a bad thing, but doing comparisons is sort of silly.

Sir Paul plays 3 hour shows... but he also plays much different types of shows than Muse. There's a different physicality between Paul McCartney and Muse. In addition, Sir Paul is an anomaly. Not a lot of people can do what he does.

Sure, you've got U2 (2:30) and Green Day (2:30) and Foo Fighters (2:15-2:30 this tour; 2:45+ in previous tours) and Pearl Jam (3 hrs) and Bruce Springsteen (up to 4 hr shows a couple years ago). But you've also got bands like Motley Crue (1:45 despite a 34 year career), AC/DC (< 2:00 and the same set every night despite a 42 year career), The Offspring (1:30 max. despite a 30 yr career), Nine Inch Nails (a little shy of 2:00 typically), and many other big bands around the same length. There are not a lot of rock bands that have gone over 2 hours. Comparing tit for tat is just silly.

Plus, Muse has chosen to intimately link media and theatrics to their shows for a visual experience in addition to the aural (as have most of the "shorter" big bands I've mentioned), so if you're going to criticize, then make a note about that detracting from the length and organic-ness of a setlist. But just saying "oh, this band doesn't play as long as that 70+ year old guy, therefore they suck" just makes you sound petty and lacks any objectivity.

You guys are amazing!! 140?? Geez. That is the life. Haha. I'm going to relay this to a friend whose Saturday show was his 24th. "Only." lol

Rock on!! :\mm/:

Edited by Corkscrewed

I also attended both nights. What amazing shows!

Aww, I wish I had known! Would have been great to meet the person that works on my favorite thread. :happy:

My video of The Handler. The visuals are so fun! Audio might be off since I swapped it with something that didn't have my horrible voice in it. :LOL::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26mGhe5ohbA

So just a few cents about set lengths here...

Firstly, I do wish Muse would play longer. I always wish they play longer. My single biggest complaint is that they are too short--but mostly because they have so much great music that they always leave me wanting more. This tour, I was hoping they'd finally break that 2 hour barrier. As it was, Friday's show was 1:47, and Saturday's was somewhere around that too (I forgot to keep exact track).

Wanting Muse to play longer is not a bad thing, but doing comparisons is sort of silly.

Sir Paul plays 3 hour shows... but he also plays much different types of shows than Muse. There's a different physicality between Paul McCartney and Muse. In addition, Sir Paul is an anomaly. Not a lot of people can do what he does.

Sure, you've got U2 (2:30) and Green Day (2:30) and Foo Fighters (2:15-2:30 this tour; 2:45+ in previous tours) and Pearl Jam (3 hrs) and Bruce Springsteen (up to 4 hr shows a couple years ago). But you've also got bands like Motley Crue (1:45 despite a 34 year career), AC/DC (< 2:00 and the same set every night despite a 42 year career), The Offspring (1:30 max. despite a 30 yr career), Nine Inch Nails (a little shy of 2:00 typically), and many other big bands around the same length. There are not a lot of rock bands that have gone over 2 hours. Comparing tit for tat is just silly.

Plus, Muse has chosen to intimately link media and theatrics to their shows for a visual experience in addition to the aural (as have most of the "shorter" big bands I've mentioned), so if you're going to criticize, then make a note about that detracting from the length and organic-ness of a setlist. But just saying "oh, this band doesn't play as long as that 70+ year old guy, therefore they suck" just makes you sound petty and lacks any objectivity.

Rock on!! :\mm/:

If muse would play fro 3 Hr like Paul does and has been doing for the last 15 years, I am sure that the vast majority of the people would not be complaining at all. On the contrary, they would even dare that they had just seen the best show ever. Instead, playing just a 90 min show, it cheapens the quality of the show.

Paul doesn' t do a different show, his show is just varied, he goes from songs like blackbird to Helter skelter , it's an emotional roller coaster.

Muse could easily do something like that......

I am not a fan of theatric incorporated in a rock show......mainly because now you are watching a broadway show which has nothing to do with a rock and roll show. Because of all the " theatric" we get 80% playback tapes and only 20 % live music, which everybody knows that in rock, that's totally unacceptable.

Let's be honest here, people don't want to see muse playing only 20% live music..........we didn't come to see Britney Spears or a JT show.

If mick jagger can run up and down the stage for over 2 hours, I don't see why Matt couldn't extend their set.

in other words, we want less theatric and more live music.......it's very simple.

Theatric for what????!!! so we can hear tapes and lip synching???? no thank you.

If you're gonna blame anyone for the low energy crowd, blame the band for attempting to build up that kind of audience and sucking the enthusiasm away from the crowd they allegedly enjoy playing to.

This is my theory:

Muse have lost a lot of fans throughout the years in the US.... As a consequence of that, their core fan base have gotten older.

That's why we had many over 40 fans at staples sitting down texting during the show .

A band that has renewed its fan base would be franz Ferdinand..... You go to their show and you see 90% 18-35 fans .......