2015.12.19 - Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA

AguanteRiver

Matt is Matt. Dave Gahan and Depeche Mode are similar in their shows. Both bands are hugely successful live acts. Matt is a front man in his performance during the songs, not chit chatting between songs. It's not his personality. He's an artist. There are plenty of front men that I do love that I also feel need to learn the shut the f**k up because they talk too much between songs and DURING songs, the latter being a real pet peeve.

One thing is talking way too much like BOno who preaches as if he were the pope or something........But Matt doesn't say a word, and that's lack of showmanship.

You would think that after 15 plus years of performing he would learn a few tricks ....but he is seem more shy than ever before.

I mean, he didn't say anything, no joke, no stories, no nothing except, " Hello LA, and Merry Christmas"

One thing is talking way too much like BOno who preaches as if he were the pope or something........But Matt doesn't say a word, and that's lack of showmanship.

You would think that after 15 plus years of performing he would learn a few tricks ....but he is seem more shy than ever before.

I mean, he didn't say anything, no joke, no stories, no nothing except, " Hello LA, and Merry Christmas"

It's just how he is. He's introverted and a musician. He's being real and letting the music do the talking. Dave Gahan is an excellent frontman in being a showboater. He's the only one strutting and dancing around on the stage getting the crowd going, but he barely says a word in between songs other than short phrases just like you described.

I'm in my 40s. If a fan is there and they are in their 50's or whatever age, they're a fan. Blaming them for low energy is ignorant. If they weren't jumping around, they were riveted on the intricacies of the performance. People in their teens or 20s go to concerts just because it's monkey-see monkey-do. They are the ones getting overly drunk, chit chatting during the show, and running for nachos. A fan in their 50s is there for the music and performance. They are real music fans and love live music.

There were kids all around me that were not paying attention, being loud NOT in response to the show because of course if they don't know the song then it must suck and no one else cares either, and essentially just waiting for the radio hits.

The show was far from caput. I focused on the band and for the most part it felt like I was at an intimate club show on the floor. I would have liked to go on Saturday night just to take in the production, which is brilliant as far as I'm concerned. I had been quite tired of Resistance for a while now, but the performance on Friday won me over as was the case with a number of other standards. That is what it should be about. On paper, a setlist can look boring, but if they are delivering in the actual performance of the song, you can be reminded why you ever liked it in the first place. Vice versa, a song you've been waiting forever to hear live may not go over that well in reality.

I filter out the American aspect of shows. The low energy, the inattentiveness, the lack of interest in anything but radio hits are all realities that aren't going to change anytime soon. I focus on the real fans that are there and the band. I go to Europe when I want the full experience.

No. Muse have to thank US radio for playing their songs and making them popular. A lot of great bands weren't as lucky as Muse to have their songs played on the radio over here.....Look at Franz Ferdinad, a fantastic band , but zero air play. That's why they still play the Wiltern and not Staples. If it weren't for Radio hooking them up, they would be playing the Fonda, nevermind playing at staples.

The low energy is because of the older audience. That's no secret. Why would anyone get GA tickets to just stand there like a mummy??????!! I don't get it.

It's just how he is. He's introverted and a musician. He's being real and letting the music do the talking. Dave Gahan is an excellent frontman in being a showboater. He's the only one strutting and dancing around on the stage getting the crowd going, but he barely says a word in between songs other than short phrases just like you described.

no, Matt must learn how to interact with the crowd. one of the reasons why last night's show was caput, it was because matt was lacking with the showmanship.......

The encore playback tame was so cheap....why would they play a tape of the Globalist and not try to actually sing and play the song.

That alone , it cheapened the show.

We should demand our money back!!!!

no, Matt must learn how to interact with the crowd. one of the reasons why last night's show was caput, it was because matt was lacking with the showmanship.......

The encore playback tame was so cheap....why would they play a tape of the Globalist and not try to actually sing and play the song.

If you don't like Matt's stage personality dont go to the show and quit whining damn

No. Muse have to thank US radio for playing their songs and making them popular. A lot of great bands weren't as lucky as Muse to have their songs played on the radio over here.....Look at Franz Ferdinad, a fantastic band , but zero air play. That's why they still play the Wiltern and not Staples. If it weren't for Radio hooking them up, they would be playing the Fonda, nevermind playing at staples.

The low energy is because of the older audience. That's no secret. Why would anyone get GA tickets to just stand there like a mummy??????!! I don't get it.

I'm not sure what your comment about US Radio has to do with anything I said.

The low energy is because of the older audience? Do you realize you are going to be part of that older audience very quickly? Notwithstanding, there were kids all around me just standing there, not paying attention, chit chatting with buddies and girlfriends. Were you one of them? Standing around not reacting to the show because the band wasn't doing everything you think they should be doing that makes a show good?

I'm 42 and I was headbanging with Chris all night, completely locked in to the peformance. There are no rules for how you are when you get older. I'm not going to jump around just because monkey see monkey do. If I do, it's because the energy is there. The kids next to me were jumping out of sarcasm and being drunken idiots, not because of the show.

Demand our money back? Because he didn't add a few more sentences in between songs you want your money back? Are you there to see Muse perform, or did you want Matt to have a conversation with you? Clearly you had wrong expectations.

Did we see the same show? Because Matt DOES sing AND play during The Globalist. Perhaps you're thinking about Drones. :/

And Matt doesn't have to "learn" to do anything. The majority of the people attending these shows are more than happy with the performance he gives. My goodness, you're nothjng but complaints. I wonder if he tailored a show to your specifications if you'd still find issues with it.

I'm not sure what your comment about US Radio has to do with anything I said.

The low energy is because of the older audience? Do you realize you are going to be part of that older audience very quickly? Notwithstanding, there were kids all around me just standing there, not paying attention, chit chatting with buddies and girlfriends. Were you one of them? Standing around not reacting to the show because the band wasn't doing everything you think they should be doing that makes a show good?

I'm 42 and I was headbanging with Chris all night, completely locked in to the peformance. There are no rules for how you are when you get older. I'm not going to jump around just because monkey see monkey do. If I do, it's because the energy is there. The kids next to me were jumping out of sarcasm and being drunken idiots, not because of the eshow.

Just cos you are energetic, doesn't meant that the vast majority of people over 40 are headbanging. I am not even saying that going to a rock show , headbanging and making a big fuss is required. However, the band feeds of the energely level of the crowd, and that's been documented. If they play to a crowd of over 40, and they are just sitting down and starring, the band will play in a certain way. When you have a younger crowd and they are signing to every song , jumping up and down, of course the band will be more into it. Why do you think bands love going to South America and play??????!!!!!

Because it's a younger audience, and bands love that.

Last night was a caput show.........too many people sitting down, GA section was like a cemetery.......

Demand our money back? Because he didn't add a few more sentences in between songs you want your money back? Are you there to see Muse perform, or did you want Matt to have a conversation with you? Clearly you had wrong expectations.

You just have to admit, last night and friday night shows were very very very bad.

This whole tour has been a fiasco....the 360 stage configuration is a stupid idea. THey wanna make their own version of the Wall?????!!! Why not come up with something original instead of copying Roger waters......

Last night show was mediocre for the following reasons :

Stage set up

Playback tapes

Click track all over the place

Caput set list

Low energy Crowd

Matt lack of showmanship

Chris didn't sing lead

If felt like a broadway show rather than a rock show

The rolling stones and Paul McCartney take muse to school even in their 70s

Matt's falsetto is over the top......he needs to learn not to over use his falsetto

Playback tapes

Chris didn't sing lead

Matt's falsetto is over the top......he needs to learn not to over use his falsetto

They've done this for years.

They've done this for years.

That's 2 songs in their entire discography.

How do you sit through a single Muse album with that stance?

For me Muse's best interaction with crowd is playing as good as they can, I'd rather him not saying a single word between songs but give brilliant performance. I think before BHAR/TR they were focused just on giving fans the best musical experience and everyone were happy about it.

Some bands are great with what you are expecting like 30STM, but with Muse it was never like this and I hope it stays this way. Now sometimes it looks like Matt is trying too hard, for what?

For me Muse's best interaction with crowd is playing as good as they can, I'd rather him not saying a single word between songs but give brilliant performance. I think before BHAR/TR they were focused just on giving fans the best musical experience and everyone were happy about it.

Some bands are great with what you are expecting like 30STM, but with Muse it was never like this and I hope it stays this way. Now sometimes it looks like Matt is trying too hard, for what?

With 30STM, Jared Leto barely sings anything these days! Bellamy is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD of Leto as far as anything that has to do with music!

With 30STM, Jared Leto barely sings anything these days! Bellamy is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD of Leto as far as anything that has to do with music!

Yeah, that is my point. Their gigs are not about great live performance, but about cool show with Leto as the showman. It is alright, but not for Muse.

You just have to admit, last night and friday night shows were very very very bad.

This whole tour has been a fiasco....the 360 stage configuration is a stupid idea. THey wanna make their own version of the Wall?????!!! Why not come up with something original instead of copying Roger waters......

Last night show was mediocre for the following reasons :

Stage set up

Playback tapes

Caput set list

Low energy Crowd

Matt lack of showmanship

Chris didn't sing lead

If felt like a broadway show rather than a rock show

The rolling stones and Paul McCartney take muse to school even in their 70s

What do you mean by "click tracking"? I've seen you say this a few times today. I don't know what that is!

Yeah, that is my point. Their gigs are not about great live performance, but about cool show with Leto as the showman. It is alright, but not for Muse.

Unfortunately a lot of people in the USA don't understand musicianship! They just want a Lady Gaga type of show these days.

Just my two cents here, but I went to both nights and loved it! This was my 4th and 5th time seeing them and I personally think their energy was great. Night one on floor I had a great time jumping about and they were close enough to see Chris' tattoos and Matt's sweat on his forehead. Everyone around me had a great time.

Night 2 I had seats and everyone stood up the entire show, clapping, headbanging, singing along. I even saw a mini circle of death on the floor during Knights.

As for setlists, I know that they could be better/longer/more varied. But I was still pretty happy that with two shows I've seen every song on Drones live except for Defector and Aftermath. I wish they would play some of my personal favorites (SS, MoTP), but for people seeing them for the first time or for casual fans, the setlist covers all their bases. I dragged my boyfriend along with me and it was his first time and he thought it was amazing. He said that it's obvious they put a lot of effort into the production and the performance.

There's room for improvement (lots in regards to variation of the setlists) but I absolutely loved the production. It was stunning from both the floor and the seats. The majority of people enjoyed themselves imo and so did I.

Night 2 I had seats and everyone stood up the entire show, clapping, headbanging, singing along. I even saw a mini circle of death on the floor during Knights.

I noticed this too! On night 1 there were more people sitting for some reason. The couple in front of me was disgraceful; two young twenty-somethings, obviously bf and gf, sitting and checking their facebook or whatever ALL NIGHT except for 4 songs that inspired them to stand up (Uprising, Madness, UD, Knights).

Last night I had a father and a smallish boy, 7 or so, at his very first concert. Now that's parenting done right, and neither of them were messing with their phones except to take a picture now and then. :yesey: The couple behind me, probably in their late 40s, had a ball and stood and cheered the entire time.

The mini circle of death started way back during Psycho if I remember correctly. :happy: It just took some proper rock songs to get them going again after the cheese.

I do have to admit I was filming a lot with my phone, but still headbanging and singing along to my best abilities! There were some French musers sat behind me and they were singing along to the melodies and guitar parts. My whole section of the crowd was very lively, and Dom Anderson stood on the stairs right next to me for a minute to watch the show.

I had a blast again last night!!! Truly truly amazing.

I'm really shocked by the complaining on this board. It's really sad to me. False sense of entitlement. But everyone had their own personal experiences & I'm lucky mine was outstanding & just plain Amazing. I appreciate that I was even able to afford & attend these shows in the first place. I hope everyone can understand that not everyone is as lucky. But to each their own. Thank you MUSE & crew.

False sense of entitlement.

*siiiiigggh*

If you enjoyed the show then great, more power to you, but please don't try to delegitamise other people's opinions and criticisms. Especially when the vast majority of people's points are valid and reasonable.