Some fun bits from the XFM interview (I'm loosely paraphrasing the quotes because I've only been able to listen to it once):

- Matt apparently envisions the album's protagonist as a female.

- They wrote and rehearsed the songs in Matt's basement and recorded demos before bringing them to Mutt.

- They met Mutt randomly while in Switzerland. Matt mentions he was surprised by how much he was into the concept. It was Mutt who insisted they kept a narrative order in the songs, instead of just writing songs related to the theme.

- They might consider playing the entire album live in order. "We've rehearsed all the tracks at least once".

- Reapers was intended to capture their live sound. It's Dom's favorite track together with The Handler. Matt: "I threw the word 'babe' in there to throw people off" :LOL:

- Matt on The Handler: "production-wise it sounds a lot like our second and third albums".

- They recorded Defector three times at slightly different tempos because they wanted to get "just the right amount of sleaze". They also call it a "throwback to the 90s" and influenced by grunge.

- Revolt was intended by Matt to sound like a Broadway number. Originally it was written for piano.

- Aftermath originally sounded more like a bluesy jam, but Matt allowed Mutt a lot of creative influence in this track, resulting in a song that is more "spacey" and "like a cheesy ballad, which is not really my domain" :LOL:

- The three parts of The Globalist were recorded seperately over the course of three days. Also, the track was originally called "The British Empire".

- Drones was based on a piece by Palestrina, a composer long admired by Matt because his music was groundbreaking, especially for hsi time. He likes a lot of music that is centuries old because it "helps you connect to people who are long dead".

Other fun Matt quote about the last track: "it's a bit edgy, but I think we got away with it" :LOL:

- The female is called Mary.

- and Matt mentions the film "Bourne identity" with Matt Damon, this being a light version what the CIA did in the past or so.

the part with the dead people reminds me of "6th sense" movie with Bruce Willis where the boy says "I see dead people..!" :happy:

- Aftermath originally sounded more like a bluesy jam, but Matt allowed Mutt a lot of creative influence in this track, resulting in a song that is more "spacey" and "like a cheesy ballad, which is not really my domain"

:

DAMMIT MUTT. So he turned what could have been a great song into my least favorite Muse song, possibly ever. I think a bluesy jam sounds like it could have been awesome.

Some fun bits from the XFM interview (I'm loosely paraphrasing the quotes because I've only been able to listen to it once):

- Matt apparently envisions the album's protagonist as a female.

- They wrote and rehearsed the songs in Matt's basement and recorded demos before bringing them to Mutt.

- They met Mutt randomly while in Switzerland. Matt mentions he was surprised by how much he was into the concept. It was Mutt who insisted they kept a narrative order in the songs, instead of just writing songs related to the theme.

- They might consider playing the entire album live in order. "We've rehearsed all the tracks at least once".

- Reapers was intended to capture their live sound. It's Dom's favorite track together with The Handler. Matt: "I threw the word 'babe' in there to throw people off" :LOL:

- Matt on The Handler: "production-wise it sounds a lot like our second and third albums".

- They recorded Defector three times at slightly different tempos because they wanted to get "just the right amount of sleaze". They also call it a "throwback to the 90s" and influenced by grunge.

- Revolt was intended by Matt to sound like a Broadway number. Originally it was written for piano.

- Aftermath originally sounded more like a bluesy jam, but Matt allowed Mutt a lot of creative influence in this track, resulting in a song that is more "spacey" and "like a cheesy ballad, which is not really my domain" :LOL:

- The three parts of The Globalist were recorded seperately over the course of three days. Also, the track was originally called "The British Empire".

- Drones was based on a piece by Palestrina, a composer long admired by Matt because his music was groundbreaking, especially for hsi time. He likes a lot of music that is centuries old because it "helps you connect to people who are long dead".

Other fun Matt quote about the last track: "it's a bit edgy, but I think we got away with it" :LOL:

Sounds like Mutt fucked up a lot of things on this album tbh

Nice, I'd buy a complete box set of b-sides.

I just thought about an album which would consist of the best Muse b-sides in my opinion.

The album is called Futurism.

Futurism

Fury

The Groove

Crying Shame

In Your World

Eternally Missed

Easily

Shine

Spiral Static

Dead Star

What would you say about such an album? Would you rate it higher than Drones? :)

Although in my review I heard Joshua Tree-era U2 for Revolt, I did hear musical as well. Might've worked better on piano. Aftermath definitely sounds like it could've worked better "bluesy". Be interesting to see if they ever surface tbf.

I'm intrigued by the multiple tempo Defector's. But then the Psycho riff sounded awesome slowed down, so maybe it interests me, ehdunno.

Nah. He encouraged them to add the outro to Reapers, instead of their original plan to just add it on when played live. That's like 1000 bonus points to Mutt.

People crying about Mutt is funny to me. He's obviously heard more than we have of what material they were working with and thought certain things sounded better, in the end I trust the artist's judgment as to whether they are satisfied with releasing something or not. I think it's silly to find out retrospective information about "what could have been" negatively impacting what already is. The Globalist "could have been" a 20 minute guitar riff monster track for all we know, but that's the thing: we don't know. :eek: it's silly saying "wow this hypothetical track could have hypothetically been my hypothetical favorite!!" It just sounds ridiculous.

The album is called Futurism.

Futurism

Fury

The Groove

Crying Shame

In Your World

Eternally Missed

Easily

Shine

Spiral Static

Dead Star

What would you say about such an album? Would you rate it higher than Drones? :)

Dude, where is Glorious? :mad:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:. I love this. It's one of the things I love from them, they are not so serious about their music, and they obviously have fun. And they knew that "babe" will throw some people off, but, they did it, because, why not? It's fun. :happy:

"like a cheesy ballad, which is not really my domain"

image.png?w=400&c=1

:LOL: Yeah, I had that same reaction to that statement.

I've got Psycho and Dead Inside :noey: Boring as fuck :(

Maybe I'll buy some day a new box with Revolt, Aftermath, The Globalis or Drones :)

Drones is absolutely amazing!!!

My friend that lives nearby received those as well. I wish he had received Drones so I could have that one in addition to my other two. :(

In all seriousness, i actually think Mutt's output has been good, especially for giving a more coherent feeling to the album :D

But i'd be really curious to see them working with another producer for the next album

I agree with both points. I'm always up for different producers and influences, even if things don't turn out the way I had wanted or anticipated.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:. I love this. It's one of the things I love from them, they are not so serious about their music, and they obviously have fun. And they knew that "babe" will throw some people off, but, they did it, because, why not? It's fun. :happy:

There's difference between fun and stupid. The songs is about machines that kill innocents and he uses the word "babe" to throw people off, for fun. That's dumb, not fun.

There's difference between fun and stupid. The songs is about machines that kill innocents and he uses the word "babe" to throw people off, for fun. That's dumb, not fun.

I saw it as a campy/sassy take on it. Not saying it's a good thing though, quite the opposite actually

It depends on your definition of fun. I find dumb, random and senseless things, fun. I'm an easy crowd, I won't lie :LOL::LOL: