So, Matt seemed to acknowledge in that article that there are some songs off their more recent albums that wouldn't work at Download. Hopefully that means no Madness, Resistance, Supermassive or Starlight.

Pls no Supremacy though, I keep getting this really bad feeling they're gonna play it.

So, Matt seemed to acknowledge in that article that there are some songs off their more recent albums that wouldn't work at Download. Hopefully that means no Madness, Resistance, Supermassive or Starlight.

Pls no Supremacy though, I keep getting this really bad feeling they're gonna play it.

But lel...

Nope, can't hype a heavy-only Muse set! I met Dom on Thursday and we asked about whether they'll stick to their promise of a heavy set and he said 'We have to!' :D

Although, I then asked 'No Madness?' and he just smiled and went 'Errr...', which isn't promising :LOL:

He said they'd prob play stuff like Dead Star and The Handler and said yeah maybe to CE when we suggested it. We asked about Showbiz but he gave a v vague reply, just saying they'd have to rehearse it but it's possible. I won't keep my hopes up too high but I still cannot effing WAIT for this! :awesome:

After about three listens I feel confident in saying that it's probably the most middle-of-the-road Muse album so far. It doesn't sink to The Resistance, Showbiz or The 2nd Law but doesn't reach Absolution, Origin or BHAR. Well, I'd say it gets fairly close to BHAR.

Favorite track is a toss up between Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler and The Globalist. I also find myself oddly liking Aftermath. It's probably their best "mellow" mid-album track that breaks up the action alongside Falling Down.

Having both Defector and Revolt on the same album strikes me as redundant. Easily my two least favorite tracks on the album. I suppose it's a good thing that there are only really two tracks I actively dislike. Still though, it's not necessarily an album that got me super excited. Even though T2L was way worse it was still relatively interesting to listen to due to the dares the band was taking. Drones doesn't really surprise much, save for Reapers and the mid-section of The Globalist, which is what I feel like the album could have used more of.

The first half is overall more stronger than the second and despite the darker "themes" it sonically feels like a much more upbeat album than previous efforts in spite of a rocky exterior. It kind of goes into the other direction of what I expected in terms of heavy, and while that's not "bad" per se I really wish more of the album took notes from Reapers, The Handler and The Globalist since it's clear that when Muse wants to do heavy... they can really do heavy. Those songs are proof that there's still a drive to them that they've yet to tap into. Their sound is the best thing they have going for them in terms of justifying that cheesy subtext.

Overall a solid effort but one that doesn't surprise too much and is probably the only recent album that feels like it could have been a lot more than a little less. It's the first time I felt like saying "come on Muse, you're showing perfect signs here of going the extra mile - commit onto that, don't waste the potential". Will probably enjoy a good number of relistens and I hope they expand on the things that worked here, because they're this close to finding a balance between the grandiose exterior they really wanted to pursue and the heavier rock roots that many fans love to see them do, and which clearly they themselves enjoy considering all the live jam sessions.

Speaking of wasted potential the biggest let down was easily the closing track. I'm not sure what they were smoking there. That feels like it should have been something entirely different and if anything it makes me consider The Globalist as the real closer.