If there is one aspect of this album I can't find fault with, though, it's the bass. The thumping riff of Dead Inside, that gorgeous neoclassical pre-chorus in The Handler, the melody of the bassline in Mercy (by far the best part of that song); Reapers, The Globalist...

Hats off to Chris.

That only make worse the fact that this album is another victim of the loudness war and the bass reduction.

Twenty years into the future when Muse remaster the albums, we'll be able to listen it in full glory. After humanity learn from its mistakes and realice how stupid was loud up the album sacrificing quality.

I may just be so tired it's impairing the thing in my head that lets me think, but could the album (up to Aftermath, not counting Globalist) be a break up album? I'm not sure where Psycho fits in, maybe the significant other is becoming too commanding?

If this does not make sense, say whatever your heart desires. :p

Sort of, that was kinda being discussed a couple of pages ago.

Dead Inside, Mercy, Reapers and The Handler all certainly hold connotations towards an unpleasant, failing relationship. Hell, you could even interpret Defector as saying 'Thank fuck I'm single.'

Sort of, that was kinda being discussed a couple of pages ago.

Dead Inside, Mercy, Reapers and The Handler all certainly hold connotations towards an unpleasant, failing relationship. Hell, you could even interpret Defector as saying 'Thank fuck I'm single.'

That's how I would interpret Aftermath as well. And Matt did say the concept ended after Aftermath, right?

Or, the protagonist has another failed relationship, says fuck this, and nukes the planet.

Edit: Shit, you said Defector, not Aftermath. I did say I was tired.

Edit 2: Aftermath is him glad his shitty relationship is over, and happy he found someone else.

I think this album was heavily influenced by an 'ending relationship'. Even just the music itself. I feel like it has a much darker tone than previous albums. And lyrically in several songs. It resonates with me some.

But I will say, I kinda miss the fun sound of BH&R. I hope Matt is in a better headspace next time around. Not only for the music but for himself.

I think the first part of The Globalist is underrated & amazing. And absolutely love the abrupt transition into the "fire riff". It's as chaotic as it should be. I just wish the transition into the 3rd part was better. Because that third section on its own is awesome as well.

That only make worse the fact that this album is another victim of the loudness war and the bass reduction.

Twenty years into the future when Muse remaster the albums, we'll be able to listen it in full glory. After humanity learn from its mistakes and realice how stupid was loud up the album sacrificing quality.

The FLAC files sounds great.

That's how I would interpret Aftermath as well. And Matt did say the concept ended after Aftermath, right?

Or, the protagonist has another failed relationship, says fuck this, and nukes the planet.

Edit: Shit, you said Defector, not Aftermath. I did say I was tired.

Edit 2: Aftermath is him glad his shitty relationship is over, and happy he found someone else.

Aftermath just really seems like he wrote it as a wedding ballad that never got put to use. :(

Why didn't he just say that, then? Fuck the metaphors, fuck the concept, just write something genuine.

Fuck knows, Matt logic?

I'm not really bothered tbh. I mostly just listen to Muse for the music. I'm not really too bothered about subject matter/lyrics/messages or whatever unless I happen to relate to them, which I just take as a bonus.

The wording is direct but the topic is hardly covered directly. Everything from The Handler to the end has almost nothing to do with the topic of drones or modern militarization.

The topic of drones doesn't just have to do with flying killing machine drones. There are several ways to look at drones. The album spends more time on human drones than it does machine drones on one side of the narrative.

But anyways to the point that I see is being discussed (haven't read everything to catch up) I think yes it is fairly obvious the narrative has a second meaning as the end of a relationship.

I predicted this months before the album came out and haven't posted anything about it here because I figured it had been talked about already and I missed it, or it was so obvious that no one cared to mention it.

But basically Kate Hudson = The Handler confirmed

Defector is Matt getting free from the Hollywood in crowd red-carpet/tabloid "society" that he was a part of for the past few years.

Reapers isn't really about drone warfare but two people in a relationship clashing using drones as a metaphor. Dead Inside/Aftermath speak for themselves really. Me and JJ talked about this awhile ago and the only ones a little harder to grasp are Pyscho and Mercy. The Globalist is kind of separate but it still has a "babe" line in it so it doesn't fully get a pass :LOL:

The Globalist is kind of separate but it still has a "babe" line in it so it doesn't fully get a pass :LOL:

You mean Matt isn't laughing at everyone and really cares to put a babe to add a personal and secret meaning to the song?

I'm intrigued by the multiple tempo Defector's. But then the Psycho riff sounded awesome slowed down, so maybe it interests me, ehdunno.

Not sure what you're saying but the different versions are on the making of-DVD.