Yeah, I worry for Dom actually.

The drumming is very uninspired in parts

Definitely. I miss the frantic little drummer back on Absolution. Right now his drumming feels so lazy and generic. Really doesn't complement Matt's uninspired songwriting at times.

The lyrics are for the most part so, so bad. It's pretty difficult to take seriously as a result. :LOL:

For me, the best lyrics offer a degree of poetry and mystery, allowing for individual interpretations and something to think about, or in the case of political lyrics offer genuine intellectual depth. But here there's neither any sense of mystery or depth. It's just so superficial, shallow, cliched, silly and even rather exploitative and emotionally dishonest as a narrative. It also doesn't help that I really dislike 'rock operas' at the best of times! I just dislike the concept of them.

But after a first listen, it's easily better than The 2nd Law (what isn't?) and probably better than the Resistance too! It has more life and punch, some cool riffs, and generally flows pretty well. Just a shame about the lyrics and dull narrative marring it.

Edited by Static Shadows

What do you guys think about Dom's drumming on the album?

Dom's drumming was one of the things which immediately stood out to me when I first got into Muse. I love him when he's at his best, but like others have said, on Drones he sounds pretty generic. I hope that changes on the next album. :(

overall album: 7/10 for me but it's still got potential to reach 8! Aftermath, Globalist, Reapers, Handler are amongst my favourite songs since BHAR so it's definitely got mileage. Still not 100% sold on Defector and Revolt but that's it really. I think in a few weeks I will regard the album as superb as opposed to slightly disappointing.

EDIT: But yes I agree that the drumming is slightly underwhelming overall. His body language at Radio 1 Big Weekend was terrible, hunched over, low shoulders, almost like he was struggling all the way through the show. But that might have been jetlag or something

I just don't understand why people who clearly stopped liking the band 2-3 albums ago are still on a message board yapping on about how they (predictably) don't like the new album! But hey, I have some Nickelback to listen to, so I'll check back in a few minutes when I will inevitably have to point out that there is a lot of other music out there for people who don't like Muse any more.

lol

muse are my favourite band but thanks for making my opinions up for me

another thing; is it true that the DVD only has 10 minutes of studio footage? So it is literally the leaked stuff of Globalist and Defector? That's slightly disappointing, but the live performances might make up for it. Even then, though, I'm gutted we won't be getting MM or Futurism as well as the Drones performances

You realise it's like 53 minutes long, right? That is about the average length for a Muse album,

I don't think he's really talking about length timewise there. It certainly feels a bit short for a 53 minute album, but whether that's because we've got the album in little bits making it feel shorter - which is not entirely their fault - or because there's a lot of repeated themes, ideas, melodies etc etc making it feel like there's "less" music in there for the physical time it lasts for - which is definitely their fault - I don't know.

Jumping on the ratings bandwagon. Initial thoughts after a couple of listens:

Dead Inside: 8/10

Psycho: 7/10

Mercy: 4/10

Reapers: 9/10

The Handler: 9/10

JFK/Defector: 8/10

Revolt: 6/10

Aftermath: 6/10

The Globalist: 7/10

Mixed bag, some wasted potential - good album though.

BHaR>Showbiz>Origin>Abso>Drones>T2L>Resistance

Liking The Handler a bit more now. I still think it's a bit dull though and cant really see why most are rating this at the best of the album :LOL:

Matt's vocals on it are fantastic though, bass sounds nice but that riff just gets old quickly. The 'In Your World' type riff is nice and kind what saves to for me. Without that it's Supremacy MKII

I'd rate it as a 7/10 song now

Gonna say album wise now:

BHaR - 10

Absolution - 9.5

OoS - 9

TR 7.5

Drones - 7

T2L - 6.5

Showbiz - 6.5

Edited by CatchHellBlues

I don't think he's really talking about length timewise there. It certainly feels a bit short for a 53 minute album, but whether that's because we've got the album in little bits making it feel shorter - which is not entirely their fault - or because there's a lot of repeated themes, ideas, melodies etc etc making it feel like there's "less" music in there for the physical time it lasts for - which is definitely their fault - I don't know.

It might be the fact that there's only 9 proper songs (taking away Drones, JFK and Drill- which to some people will be seen as filler rather than actual tracks). This means that if you don't like Aftermath, Revolt, Defector, Globalist etc. then you might potentially only be enjoying 5 songs. Taken at this perspective, that's a pretty short album :LOL: I personally don't like 2 songs (Defector and Revolt) but even though that's only 2 songs, it seems like a lot more because it's 2 out of 9. If it had been 2 out of 12 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. So yeah, I think it's more an illusion of a short album because of the "filler" but I might be off when I say that, just guessing tbh

It might be the fact that there's only 9 proper songs (taking away Drones, JFK and Drill- which to some people will be seen as filler rather than actual tracks). This means that if you don't like Aftermath, Revolt, Defector, Globalist etc. then you might potentially only be enjoying 5 songs. Taken at this perspective, that's a pretty short album :LOL: I personally don't like 2 songs (Defector and Revolt) but even though that's only 2 songs, it seems like a lot more because it's 2 out of 9. If it had been 2 out of 12 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. So yeah, I think it's more an illusion of a short album because of the "filler" but I might be off when I say that, just guessing tbh

Yeah that's true as well. I'm personally not bothered by the length at all, but there are a lot of reasons why the 53 minute runtime might feel misleading when people actually listen to the album.

Yeah I get that. I made a cut of it last night of the parts I liked and it turned out 38 minutes (lost 15 minutes from various places) IIRC

Dead Inside: 4/10

Psycho: 7/10

Mercy: 7/10

Reapers: 9/10

The Handler: 9/10

JFK/Defector: 10/10

Revolt: 2/10

Aftermath: 5/10

The Globalist: 6/10

Drones: 1/10

6/10 as an album.

T2L: 4/10

TR: 7/10

BHAR: 8/10

Abso: 10/10

OoS: 10/10

Showbiz: 6/10

Dead Inside - 8/10

Psycho - 7.5/10

Mercy - 6/10 (7/10 live)

Reapers - 9/10

The Handler - 9/10

Defector - 7.5/10

Revolt - 4/10

Aftermath - 6/10

The Globalist - 6/10

Drones - 2/10

Biggest disappointment is The Globalist - too disjointed. Reapers is the best track they've written in a decade. Absolutely love The Handler. Shame about the last third of the album, it's pretty poor IMO.

Edited by RodzTF