Opinion time: It's frustrating to hear derivative songs like Revolt and Aftermath, because the band's songwriting capabilities have proven to be so beyond those two tracks. I'm not one of those fans who says they should make the same music they did 10 years ago, but the fact that they wrote songs of such a high caliber back then makes me think they could do it again. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just how all artists age.

What if Muse had broken up after BH&R? Their reputation amongst music fans would be drastically different..

If you remember that a band doesn't write music for its fans it's completely logical: they haven't written songs like aftermath and revolt before. They also want to explore different sides. I don't think these songs are 'beneath' their capabilities (aftermath is really good), and even Drones is musically very well written. It might just not be what you wanted it to be, or what you prefer to hear.

If you remember that a band doesn't write music for its fans it's completely logical: they haven't written songs like aftermath and revolt before. They also want to explore different sides. I don't think these songs are 'beneath' their capabilities (aftermath is really good), and even Drones is musically very well written. It might just not be what you wanted it to be, or what you prefer to hear.

I don't have problem with different sides. I still support TR and T2L. My problem with the second half is not its different side. it's just boring and both musically and lyrically terrible.

Very true. I argued the same thing a week or so ago. I guess it's just the initial disappointment really.

Very true. I argued the same thing a week or so ago. I guess it's just the initial disappointment really.

The songs work for me but only when listened to in the album order. Shuffle is a big no go on any album in my book, especially this one.

Ding ding ding.

Well said. I agree.

Opinion time: It's frustrating to hear derivative songs like Revolt and Aftermath, because the band's songwriting capabilities have proven to be so beyond those two tracks. I'm not one of those fans who says they should make the same music they did 10 years ago, but the fact that they wrote songs of such a high caliber back then makes me think they could do it again. Or maybe not. Maybe it's just how all artists age.

What if Muse had broken up after BH&R? Their reputation amongst music fans would be drastically different..

I know Muse is a pretty uncool band lately, and has been for the past few years, but I haven't seen the opinions on the old albums change very much. That era of Muse is still regarded highly, or the ones that don't like it now didn't like it then either.

Also Endlessly does not belong in that list in the previous post.

I think GL comparisons have just become the new way to say "worst track." Big Freeze, Guiding Light, Invincible, Endlessly, Feeling Good, Overdue, and now Revolt – seems like there's always that one track that many Muse fans have pegged as the outlier on albums

Endlessly was the song that made me fall in love with Muse. :stunned:

Invincible is cool. Big Freeze a bit U2, but not too bad. I dislike UD and Madness though.

Hey guys,

Listened to the full album a few times today. I was one of the people who withheld listening to The Handler, so I'd only heard tracks 1-5.

Holy shit, The Handler. I can't believe we haven't been getting songs like this all along, because honestly this is what we're looking for. A riff that doesn't feel 'forced', song flows well, incredibly dark and also has some really excellent falsetto. Especially the "wah-uh-uh-uh" (best I could express it in writing) bit- I'd say its the best song they've released since BHaR.

Defector is ok I guess. I feel like the riff is slightly uncreative and I'm not a fan of the "society" Queen-style vocals. But I still find myself kinda grooving to it - so I'm not completely against it.

Now... Revolt and Aftermath. I have no words. I will never listen to these two songs again.

The Globalist - great first part - incredibly atmospheric, good melodies, great vocals then... a riff out of nowhere? Doesn't even build up to anything - and although the riff is great, it's like Muse just jammed it in there because Matt wanted CE pt II. And the best part about it, it actually reaches a point where it gets really heavy and feels like it's going to go somewhere - then bam. Piano ballad. And the thing is- it just fades. No proper cohesion like original CE had. The piano bit on its own isn't too bad - it just goes on for way too long. Now I wouldn't be so negative about this all if it wasn't labeled as CE pt II. But I can't help comparing TG to it. Is it in the same league as it? Absolutely not. Is it still an alright song given what we've gotten these past few years? Absolutely. The best thing about this song is the prospect they'll play CE live more.

Drones? Sounds great, but the lyrics are laughable. I personally find the whole 'concept' of the album to be a bit ham-fisted. So to find Matt singing "are you dead inside" and "killed by drones" in a Gregorian-style chant is just comical.. Would probably be better if I couldn't understand english. Matt's voice is great though.

Songs I will actually listen to in the future:

The Handler

Reapers

Dead Inside

Songs that are ok but I can still fault them somehow and probably won't listen to often

Defector

The Globalist

Psycho

Mercy

Songs I'll probably never listen to again

Revolt(ing)

Aftermath

Drones

But yeah. This album beats the whole T2L solely just because of The Handler. I can't have enough praise for it.

/rant over

Whoa whoa whoa now.

Endlessly was the song that made me fall in love with Muse. :stunned:

Alright let me clarify before I'm burned at the stake here :LOL:

When I said worst track, I meant like what I thought was general fan consensus of each album's worst track. I don't think Endlessly is the worst track on Absolution at all, I just thought that it seems like every album there's always that one track.

Although it seems like more people like Endlessly than I thought! I love it personally. So maybe Absolution is an exception to my Muse hypothesis