Really the dead crowd was more of an energy killer than the setlist. By the end I moved next to a few people that actually seemed to have some interest in attempting to enjoy themselves and it was a lot better. Not even gonna blame it on the song choices since people at the end, while not ecstatic, seemed pretty ok with it.

Interestingly, my favorite moments of the concert were the new songs, even Revolt, and I don't mean that negatively. I thought they were great even for parts I didn't like on the album. But it just made it more disappointing Reapers is dropped. I don't mind so much losing other rarer songs but I came to the album tour to hear the album songs. What the fuck is up with that?

Really the dead crowd was more of an energy killer than the setlist. By the end I moved next to a few people that actually seemed to have some interest in attempting to enjoy themselves and it was a lot better. Not even gonna blame it on the song choices since people at the end, while not ecstatic, seemed pretty ok with it.

Yeah. I can see a little bit why they keep American shows a bit more low-energy. It must be a bit draining to play your guts out to a dead crowd. I used to come back from shows in Holland with my voice gone for days and some sore muscles. Sure, I'm a bit older now, but if I had moved or screamed or sang along loudly I'd have looked like a complete dick in this dead crowd.

Yeah. I can see a little bit why they keep American shows a bit more low-energy. It must be a bit draining to play your guts out to a dead crowd. I used to come back from shows in Holland with my voice gone for days and some sore muscles. Sure, I'm a bit older now, but if I had moved or screamed or sang along loudly I'd have looked like a complete dick in this dead crowd.

Which says a lot, because as far as European crowds go the ones from The Netherlands aren't even the most active.

Does it seem like maybe the more interested crowd is spread too thin?

I mean, the stage stretches the entire arena and back, and then you've got VIP on mid-barrier, which is likely a very different crowd than before.

Seems to me like you'd normally have the energetic crowd mashed in the front, and now a lot of them are sort of on the wings.

Back when I was more energetic at concerts, even I would tone it down if the people around me were super quiet, too.

1. Psycho

2. Dead Inside

3. Hysteria

4. Plug In Baby

5. Isolated System + The Handler

6. Resistance (lol)

7. Supermassive Black Hole

8. Prelude + Starlight

9. Feeling Good

10. Madness

11. Undisclosed Desires

12. JFK + Revolt

13. Time is Running Out

14. Uprising

15. Globalist

16. Mercy

17. MWAH + Knights

Worst Muse setlist in history.

I would actually fall asleep during that part.... Supermassive is fun live and I still feel like Revolt will be decent live but the rest just fuck no

EDIT: obvs the handler is good too but IS ruins it a little

Edited by heyjackk

Interestingly, my favorite moments of the concert were the new songs, even Revolt, and I don't mean that negatively. I thought they were great even for parts I didn't like on the album. But it just made it more disappointing Reapers is dropped. I don't mind so much losing other rarer songs but I came to the album tour to hear the album songs. What the fuck is up with that?

Yeah Reapers for Resistance is a total shit on the carpet moment for setlists and is actually quite mystifying, given that song got a crap reaction on previous tours.

I'm intrigued to see how the newies I haven't heard live (Mercy, Handler, Revolt, Globalist, Defector if its played).

Not sure about worst set in history, but Christ on a bike that flow is nauseating.

I do remember a Killers gig in Santa Barbara in 2009 when their singer slagged off the crowd for being dormant (the phrase "You're not at the fucking zoo" was among those used), and ultimately gave up and ended the gig early.

Don't know if Muse have had an episode like this, but there's been lots of videos I've seen from the US tours where only a handful of people are jumping, and I'm not sure its just down to the VIP priority entry people getting the central spots and forcing the hardcores out wide. But I dunno.

My girlfriend who never saw a Muse show before, who is neither a fan, nor a hater and whose taste in music I largely admire, made some valuable comments during the night:

- That song was horrible (After Resistance)

- The singer's hair is really sad. Almost offensive.

- At least the bass player is hot (During Feeling Good)

- The singer doesn't know what kind of musician or showman he wants to be, it's like he has an identity crisis (During the camera eye-fucking in guitarless Starlight)

- Do they assume we're all mice? Because they seem to think we like cheese.

- Is that a flying dildo?

To be fair, a lot of those things have been said on here before. Offensive hair is a new one though. :chuckle:

But not that thing with the hair. Congratulations, you're the boyfriend of the gal who invented a new way to complain about a Muse show.

You missed the long hair phase?

It's the kind of complaint that makes you wonder about the worth of the other complaints, no offense to anyone. :chuckle:

Otherwise valid complaints, though, and interesting to see someone that's not us mention the "identity crisis"; Matt really seems to not know what he wants from his own career anymore.

I know. I make my fair share of inappropriate remarks on people's appearances; I just thought it odd that you included it on an otherwise serious list. :chuckle:

I'm equally judgmental of people who claim a band's "look" bothers them, and people who post "best moment of the gig ever!" as a caption to their video of Matt's ass while he played most of a song facing away from half of the crowd, if that helps.

Would it be reasonable to blame the dead crowd on the doors opening late and late start time?

No?

Okay ... :$

Well, the hair used to be a big deal, but usually in a positive sense.

rip in peace 2008, you were taken too soon </3

I'm equally judgmental of people who claim a band's "look" bothers them, and people who post "best moment of the gig ever!" as a caption to their video of Matt's ass while he played most of a song facing away from half of the crowd, if that helps.

Not strictly to do with their physical appearance but I do miss how colourful they used to be, stretching from outfits, instruments and stage designs. Seems like everything nowadays is just kinda...black and...grey. Makes the gigs feel a bit duller visually, doesn't exactly fit with the style of sets and performance they're going with lately either.

Might seem like a petty complaint but idk, Muse's music has always been full of colour to me.

Would it be reasonable to blame the dead crowd on the doors opening late and late start time?

No?

It was a bit of a mind-numbing exercise to get in. I got there at 7 and I think I was in an hour later after being sent to the backs of different lines and trying to navigate contradicting orders. I thought the robotic repeated announcements, concrete monolithic building and security people barking orders were pretty appropriate for the theme though.

rip in peace 2008, you were taken too soon </3

Not strictly to do with their physical appearance but I do miss how colourful they used to be, stretching from outfits, instruments and stage designs. Seems like everything nowadays is just kinda...black and...grey. Makes the gigs feel a bit duller visually, doesn't exactly fit with the style of sets and performance they're going with lately either.

Might seem like a petty complaint but idk, Muse's music has always been full of colour to me.

I will admit the Drones suits and color scheme doesn't seem to fit well with the current setlists. :chuckle:

Might as well go back to laser shooting guitars, and sequins. That at least fit in and got the crowd's interest.

I have to agree with this. I know people gave him shit about his glitter suits, but I really liked them because he was easily visible on stage and looked like an actual frontman.

Last tour I could barely even see him because he was in all black, and this tour its gonna be even harder because he blends in with Chris.

Pretty much everything is black these days, I wonder why he hasn't changed his piano back to black too.

It's been said by fans. Getting the outsider perspective was refreshing. We're not all crazy :)

Indeed.

I do wonder why Resistance is back. It wasn't that well liked on the previous tour IMO, and was certainly a bit of a downer at Emirates last year after Bliss. Same with Undisclosed Desires, and this time with flashy glasses (Metric did them better) than the barrier walk that made it fun on the last tour.

You missed the long hair phase?

It's the kind of complaint that makes you wonder about the worth of the other complaints, no offense to anyone. :chuckle:

Otherwise valid complaints, though, and interesting to see someone that's not us mention the "identity crisis"; Matt really seems to not know what he wants from his own career anymore.

I'd say his haircut at Lolla Brazil/Coachella last year was worse tbf.

The identity crisis thing is an interesting point. I didn't mind it so much when it was a song or two a set on the last tour, and in songs where the guitar was minimal if there anyway (UD, Follow Me). Its the vast increase to songs where its to its detriment that's a problem - Starlight has fallen off the cliff, and I fail to see how it helps performances of Uprising, which were weak earlier this year anyway.

I do kinda agree about the colour thing. One of the first images I saw of Muse was HAARP, and as much as I think its a bit imperfect and overproduced sonically, the image of a red suited Matt scampering around thrashing walls of sound from a sparkly red guitar is a very fun and visually striking image - moreso than the current mix of drones suit and interchangeable-looking guitars. Same as well with Dom's green/pink/red/yellow/blue trousers and see-through kit.

I don't know if I liked or hated the silver suits - I went back on forth on them, although I liked the All Saints t-shirts they were paired with. The mirror suit with the pink lining was a bit weird though.

The stage design does look good and I do like the flowing propeller light show. Even if I won't be able to see it from GA at the O2.