Or Muse should play longer and more balanced sets. I bought tickets because I like the band and Drones, I'm well within my rights to voice my opinion that the current sets aren't living up to my expectations.

But, fuck me, right? I should probably give my tickets to 'true' fans who deserve them more.

Because not mindlessly loving every song and wanting reasonable setlists for the prices they're charging = being miserable.

For the record, I used to enjoy songs like Uprising, Madness and Starlight. I just think they've gone massively downhill.

You're the one posting on their fan forum. Grow up.

That's a great story! Sounds like you should stay at home!

Do you not realise Jobby obviously bought his tickets after the festival tour which, setlist wise, was much much better than what we're dealing with now? He's going to something like 5 or 6 gigs next year, but woe is him, they're not what he (and I...) was expecting so he should just stay at home. Nevermind the £400 that wastes, and that's only the gig tickets, excluding any travel expenses he might have already paid.

The guy is paying a very large amount of money to see the band perform. The least they could do is put in a bit of effort with regard to what they play when they're very well aware people have seen them many times before and are going to more than one show.

He's not even saying muse are shit,the gigs are shit, everything is shit. Literally all he is saying is that from what he currently reads and sees, its not living up to his expectations, which is a totally valid opinion. What should he "grow up" and stop being "miserable"?

to be honest, jobby is totally right, muse seem to don`t give a fuck on the old times die hard fans if they don`t change the sets in Europe.

they do a rock Album like drones and tell everyone they bring back the old times and then they play the most poppy sets ever - I mean they have possibilities like no other band on the planet (just think of a 4 song piano set in the middle or as an encore with Songs like space dementia, sunburn, new Born or in your world) and all they do is play their poppiest Chart hits to attract the fans who just know them from the Radio - wtf???

Muse had the whole Psycho tour for "old timey" fans. Are these the best setlists on the planet? No, but honestly on average The Resistance tour was probably worse than these we've gotten so far.

Average TR Tour setlist still had New Born, Stockholm, Map and Unnatural Selection regularly with stuff like TAB, MK, Sunburn and Cave popping up on occasion as well.

For the record, I'm not saying they should drop all the hits and fill the gigs with b-sides. If I was a more casual fan or it was my first time seeing them, I'd be disappointed if they didn't play some of the obvious stuff. What they should be doing is playing for longer and they could easily use the extra couple of songs that would yield to make Stockholm a regular again and have maybe one or two rarity slots.

Yes, the Psycho Tour was aimed towards older fans (even though it was still packed with quite a few of the same old hits but whatever), but tickets were very limited and there weren't many gigs anyway. To say "Right, that's enough for you lot" would be more than a bit unfair. One or two songs per gig shouldn't be too much for older/hardcore fans to ask for.

Hell, look at how well some of the festival tour gigs were received by all kinds of fans because they hit a great balance of old/rare + new/popular. It doesn't have to be one way or the other, they've shown that they can appease both sets of fans quite easily.

Edited by Jobby

Yes, the Psycho Tour was aimed towards older fans (even though it was still packed with quite a few of the same old hits but whatever), but tickets were very limited and there weren't many gigs anyway. To say "Right, that's enough for you lot" would be more than a bit unfair. One or two songs per gig shouldn't be too much for older/hardcore fans to ask for.

Remember when they played Fury in Pittsburgh for the fan's 100th gig and Matt actually tried to justify it to the casuals? "It's quite an old song so you might not know it... but she will."

Also, fuck Psycho Tour. 15 songs and exchange rate included the gig I was at actually costed me more than each of the arena gigs I'm going to, even though one of them is in the same city as the Psycho gig.

Meh, it's a pretty balanced set that just could have needed another song for the fans of Muse's heavier side. Add CE, Assassin, Dead Star or something and it would have been a great set.

Honestly Jobby, in this case it feels as if you're just bored of the band. If KoC, Bliss, Hysteria, Reapers, Psycho, The Globalist, TIRO, The Handler and Uprising aren't enough to leave you satisfied of a gig you didn't go to (length and performance aside obviously), then might I suggest that you're just bored of their songs?

Honestly if they replaced Isolated System, United States of Eurasia and one of UD or Madness then it becomes a pretty decent setlist.

[intro: Drones]

01. Psycho

02. Reapers

03. Dead Inside

04. Bliss

05. Rarity like Citizen Erased or along those lines

06. The Handler

07. Interlude + Hysteria

08. Supermassive Black Hole

09. Prelude + Starlight

10. Apocalypse Please or Sunburn

11. Munich Jam

12. Madness

13. Map of the Problematique (for an example)

14. [JFK] + Revolt

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Uprising

17. The Globalist

18. Drones

19. Mercy

20. Knights of Cydonia

I could deal with that really.

Honestly Jobby, in this case it feels as if you're just bored of the band. If KoC, Bliss, Hysteria, Reapers, Psycho, The Globalist, TIRO, The Handler and Uprising aren't enough to leave you satisfied of a gig you didn't go to (length and performance aside obviously), then might I suggest that you're just bored of their songs?

Oh no, on the contrary (I think, anyway). My Muse hype over the last year has been at the highest it's been for years, hence why I bought as many tickets as I did. There's a fair few songs I don't find exciting but I don't think it's because I'm bored of them.

Bliss, Psycho and Reapers are great live, obviously I've seen them a few times before but I'd love to see them again. Supermassive, Hysteria and The Handler don't set my world alight but they're enjoyable enough, plus they're to be expected. I'm pretty indifferent towards The Globalist.

I'd say the only songs where my own boredom is the thing stopping my from enjoying them are TIRO, PIB and maybe Knights (though I've actually been in the mood for seeing PIB lately tbf). My gripes with songs like UD, Revolt, Madness, Starlight and Uprising are pretty much solely for the way they're being performed atm, otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing them. As for Resistance and USOE - I just don't like them, live or on record :chuckle:

It's hard to explain when you put it like that but I think my main issue is the length of the gigs and the amount of filler tbh. Even though I've seen them before, if you just added Map, New Born and Stockholm to that set, I'd have few complaints.

Honestly if they replaced Isolated System, United States of Eurasia and one of UD or Madness then it becomes a pretty decent setlist.

[intro: Drones]

01. Psycho

02. Reapers

03. Dead Inside

04. Bliss

05. Rarity like Citizen Erased or along those lines

06. The Handler

07. Interlude + Hysteria

08. Supermassive Black Hole

09. Prelude + Starlight

10. Apocalypse Please or Sunburn

11. Munich Jam

12. Madness

13. Map of the Problematique (for an example)

14. [JFK] + Revolt

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Uprising

17. The Globalist

18. Drones

19. Mercy

20. Knights of Cydonia

I could deal with that really.

agreed.

Remember when they played Fury in Pittsburgh for the fan's 100th gig and Matt actually tried to justify it to the casuals? "It's quite an old song so you might not know it... but she will."

Also, fuck Psycho Tour. 15 songs and exchange rate included the gig I was at actually costed me more than each of the arena gigs I'm going to, even though one of them is in the same city as the Psycho gig.

It wasn't just Fury in Pittsburgh, either. Both times I saw Sunburn, Matt made some pissy little comments about how they were going to play a song no one knew, from an album no one owned.

At an earlier gig, he mentioned playing a particular arena during the Showbiz tour (which, remember, they were the first of two opening acts) asked people to raise their hands if they were there, and chuckled when literally no one did.

He makes it sadly clear he finds playing older songs, deep cuts, or even less known singles to be a waste of time in the US.

I always find his comments to be disrespectful for the handful of hardcore fans who are still there, as well as to more recent fans, who are stull plunking down a good chunk of money to see the band.

And I see a lot of this "well, you had the Psycho tour for the hardcores" outside of this forum a lot, too, and it enrages me.

If that was the intent, maybe more than 50 tickets for the Mayan should have gone to fan-presales...? Because I got so desperate to get ahold of tickets I would have done some really disturbing things to get them, and then I just ended up trying not to sob all night at work the night of the gig. And kind of failing.

And I was far from the only "hardcore" who couldn't get in.

Matt's (and the fans') idea that these gigs were full of nothing but hardcore fans is a bit bullshit; I mean, having a general onsale in the first place kind of negates that idea.

I honestly don't even care about the setlist for this arena tour (although I'll change my mind if the drop TG in the US gigs eventually) but the apparent attitude of the band towards us in the US does bother me.

But yes, a lot of people did buy tickets thinking maybe one of the rarer songs from the festival tours would show up regularly; they played CE tons, for example (and Bellamy said they'd play it along with TG on his Twitter...)

And yes, the "drones" flew around at the Mexican gigs; they didn't look as clear, but it's hard to tell from what I saw.

I heard one or two were pulled down and torn apart over there, too.

It wasn't just Fury in Pittsburgh, either. Both times I saw Sunburn, Matt made some pissy little comments about how they were going to play a song no one knew, from an album no one owned.

At an earlier gig, he mentioned playing a particular arena during the Showbiz tour (which, remember, they were the first of two opening acts) asked people to raise their hands if they were there, and chuckled when literally no one did.

He makes it sadly clear he finds playing older songs, deep cuts, or even less known singles to be a waste of time in the US.

I always find his comments to be disrespectful for the handful of hardcore fans who are still there, as well as to more recent fans, who are stull plunking down a good chunk of money to see the band.

And I see a lot of this "well, you had the Psycho tour for the hardcores" outside of this forum a lot, too, and it enrages me.

If that was the intent, maybe more than 50 tickets for the Mayan should have gone to fan-presales...? Because I got so desperate to get ahold of tickets I would have done some really disturbing things to get them, and then I just ended up trying not to sob all night at work the night of the gig. And kind of failing.

Matt's (and the fans') idea that these gigs were full of nothing but hardcore fans is a bit bullshit; I mean, having a general onsale in the first place kind of negates that idea.

I honestly don't even care about the setlist for this arena tour (although I'll change my mind if the drop TG in the US gigs eventually) but the apparent attitude of the band towards us in the US does bother me.

And a lot of people did buy tickets thinking maybe one of the rarer songs from the festival tours would show up regularly; they played CE tons, for example (and Bellamy said they'd play it along with TG on his Twitter...)

It seemed quite possible the band had finally decided to play some older, more popular tracks. Instead, they removed them to fit in a couple more Drones songs, without really extending the amount of songs they play overall.

And yes, the "drones" flew around at the Mexican gigs; they didn't look as clear, but it's hard to tell from what I saw.

But yes, a lot of people did buy tickets thinking maybe one of the rarer songs from the festival tours would show up regularly; they played CE tons, for example (and Bellamy said they'd play it along with TG on his Twitter...)

I think it's tough for them to play rare songs at these shows for the reason you said, there are only a "handful" of hardcore fans at these shows. Given what we know about his fear of playing songs people may not know, it's justified. Imagine playing in an arena of 10,000 people but only 70 people know the song? That's not fun for the band and I can say even when I go to shows of bands I know, it's hard to get into a song you don't know. Yeah it sucks for us U.S. fans; but hardcores are a vast minority and that's not likely to change

Edited by MusersAdvocate

I think it's tough for them to play rare songs at these shows for the reason you said, there are only a "handful" of hardcore fans at these shows. Given what we know about his fear of playing songs people may not know, it's justified. Imagine playing in an arena of 10,000 people but only 70 people know the song? That's not fun for the band and I can say even when I go to shows of bands I know, it's hard to get into a song you don't know. Yeah it sucks for us U.S. fans; but hardcores are a vast minority and that's not likely to change

Bliss got the best reception of the show last night. He made a joke in 2010 when he asked the crowd to sing Plug In Baby that he couldn't believe how good we sang it for a song that wasn't released in the US. The whole thing is stupid. The fans know OoS.

We're asking for, literally, like one or two songs. I'd be happy with just Bliss, tbh.

Do you really think that alleged room full of casual and non-fans in the US knows half of what is played, anyways?

The vast majority of people get their music digitally now, and Matt has even discussed how people just buy singles and putting out an "album" is sort of a dead art - to the extent he keeps claiming they're thinking about not doing it in the future.

If someone doesn't know Sunburn, and/or is a brand new fan, why would they automatically know Hysteria, or even TiRO? If they do, why would the automatically not know the "deeper" songs?

I promise you, there's a ton of people in those crowds going "yay! Madness!! And that Twilight song! And... um... that Guitar Hero song!" (And a ton of new fans have heard all the B-Sides.)

A lot don't even bother listening to the entire album for the tour they are going to, often.

Are these the people Matt's upset playing an old track for? And why?

A lot of people probably have the same reaction to TG, Revolt, or Stockholm Syndrome (going back a tour) that they would to CE, Fury, or Assassin, considering they've probably never heard any of them.

People aren't asking for the Psycho tour; they're asking for one or two songs that they maybe haven't heard yet (not from the new album) or haven't heard in a long time.

Throwing that CE, Fury, Assassin in there would be the turning point between "these setlists are shit" and an older fan having the best gig ever.

The US Psycho Tour didn't have the setlists in the US that they had in the UK, btw, either. One rare song in NY, and two in LA, and Bliss, tbh.

So, I guess maybe we ARE asking for the Psycho Tour... just the US version. Which isn't exactly asking for a lot.

They could shore up the gaps between songs a bit, throw a surprise song in the set, and maybe rotate the slot a little. (Although, maybe not... Not sure The Groove is a good rotation with Assassin...)

I guess just take out UD (no real point to it being there) for... say... maybe Defector, with Revolt pushed forward one, and then add something in the first half.

I remain fairly confident Europe will get longer gigs. Bit dickish for the rest of the world, but I just imagine it happening.

Revolt is so damn awful live. I wish they would speed it up. It's half a step down and sounds sloooooooow.

Revolt is so damn awful live. I wish they would speed it up. It's half a step down and sounds sloooooooow.

Shame. Although yeah it doesn't sound as fun a step down. I'm still more bummed out with the JFK into Revolt move rather than Defector, which sounds like it'd be more kick-ass live.

As a mutual discussion, so far we've had JFK into Revolt and JFK into Uprising... don't really think either works.

Yeah it doesn't sound as fun a step down. I'm still more bummed out with the JFK into Revolt move rather than Defector, which sounds like it'd be more kick-ass live.

As a mutual discussion, so far we've had JFK into Revolt and JFK into Uprising... don't really think either works.

Matt, Chris and Dom - we the fans request that you not play Revolt and instead play Defector - a much better song. Please let us know if this works. I am attending the Dallas Show tonight and prefer an answer before the gig if that is okay. Thanks!

Maybe something like Fury or Dead Star can be applied to that, but I really don't think anything 'rare' from any of their older studio albums (MotP, CE, Sunburn, etc) should be considered only "for hardcore fans" - if I liked a band I would certainly feel inclined to look into their older albums, and in this day and age you don't even have to do more than click a few buttons on a mouse to make that happen. Matt must think all Muse fans are complete lazy fucks or something, if he truly thinks nobody in the US knows something like PiB.