Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

kind of makes sense I suppose :LOL:

I try to remember what he said to me. He said something about Blues. Blues elements are prevalent in Hard Rock, but not in Metal :shifty:

#whatwastoldtome

Yeah, I've read about that. Hard rock is supposed to have more blues elements while metal is more neo-classical,

But going by that definition, Plug In Baby and a lot of other Muse songs would definitely be metal :D

my opinion has changed quite a lot. I find myself picking my phone up to listen to the aftermath-the globalist duo, go for a walk and think about life decisions. it's happened more than a few times now...

I've been doing the same with car rides. I like it a lot more now.

When I first heard the Globalist, I kept thinking of the song "This Night" by Billy Joel. "This Night" is the second movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's Pathétique Sonata accompanied by lyrics arranged by Billy Joel.

However, "The Globalist" is in fact based on Elgar's 'Nimrod' from the Enigma Variations. So why was I thinking Beethoven/Billy Joel?

Here's the answer from Wiki:

Once, when Elgar had been very depressed and was about to give it all up and write no more music, Augustus J. Jaeger had visited him and encouraged him to continue composing.

He referred to Ludwig van Beethoven, who had a lot of worries, but wrote more and more beautiful music. "And that is what you must do", Jaeger said and he sang the theme of the second movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 Pathétique.

Elgar disclosed to Dora that the opening bars of 'Nimrod' were made to suggest that theme. "Can’t you hear it at the beginning? Only a hint, not a quotation."

So Beethoven influenced Elgar who then influenced Matthew Bellamy.

When I first heard the Globalist, I kept thinking of the song "This Night" by Billy Joel. "This Night" is the second movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's Pathétique Sonata accompanied by lyrics arranged by Billy Joel.

However, "The Globalist" is in fact based on Elgar's 'Nimrod' from the Enigma Variations. So why was I thinking Beethoven/Billy Joel?

Here's the answer from Wiki:

Once, when Elgar had been very depressed and was about to give it all up and write no more music, Augustus J. Jaeger had visited him and encouraged him to continue composing.

He referred to Ludwig van Beethoven, who had a lot of worries, but wrote more and more beautiful music. "And that is what you must do", Jaeger said and he sang the theme of the second movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 Pathétique.

Elgar disclosed to Dora that the opening bars of 'Nimrod' were made to suggest that theme. "Can’t you hear it at the beginning? Only a hint, not a quotation."

So Beethoven influenced Elgar who then influenced Matthew Bellamy.

It's to say: music is a wonderful play of free reciprocal influences.

my opinion has changed quite a lot. I find myself picking my phone up to listen to the aftermath-the globalist duo, go for a walk and think about life decisions. it's happened more than a few times now...

Yeah, this. definitely this.

I started loving this one particularly as I was walking in my small town in the countryside. It rained a lot but clouds were being replaced by a wonderful setting sun. Everything seemed in the right place, especially when that third part kicked in, I felt a strange sensation of comfort I haven't ever felt in the last three months.

That's pretty stupid, I know, but music is emotion anyway.

I've liked this song from the start, but I am growing even more fond of it the more I listen to it. I think the transitions are done a lot better than people (including myself) have given Muse credit for. And the lyrics at the end match up flawlessly with the way the piano part unfolds, imo. "A trillion memories lost in space and time forevermore" gives me the feels. The way it's sung with the music just paints a perfect picture for me thinking about the universe being destroyed and literally nothing is left.

I've liked this song from the start, but I am growing even more fond of it the more I listen to it. I think the transitions are done a lot better than people (including myself) have given Muse credit for. And the lyrics at the end match up flawlessly with the way the piano part unfolds, imo. "A trillion memories lost in space and time forevermore" gives me the feels. The way it's sung with the music just paints a perfect picture for me thinking about the universe being destroyed and literally nothing is left.

I agree. It'd be nice if the heavy part went a little longer. We all know that. But I think the transition into the piano part is great. This is truly a piece they went all out on. I love it.

Try switching "You can rise up like a god, arm your self you can be strong" with >> "They laugh as they watch us fall the lucky don´t care at all"

Be amazed :D

Reminds me of one of the songs on the album (I don't remember if it's this one) where he says something about not being able to handle the truth. I always remember Unnatural Selection and think "But you wanted it, Matt! You wanted it!" :LOL:

I could listen to the first 4 minutes all day, incredibly relaxing. The heavy bit's almost like the icing on the cake tbh. If it wasn't for the last section being a bit more uninspired, the whole song would be 10/10. Atm it's 9/10, so still pretty damn good, but I could have lived without the piano section and had the other two bits doubled. Still, great song though